Share This Page:

Bored !

Discussions on joining & training in the Royal Navy.
frazer777

Bored !

Post by frazer777 »

Hello this is my first posting on here but i like readin what people have to say. i joined the royal navy about a year and a half ago an i just qualified in my branch a few months ago (CSM) am still waiting for SETT again! but i am finding things very boring can anyone tell me that life gets better on board? cheers
Winnie

Post by Winnie »

I take it CSM is something submariner?
What does you job involve?
frazer777

Post by frazer777 »

its the communications branch of the submarine service. Soon to be changing to CISSM
Winnie

Post by Winnie »

Well i would talk to SeaCat im pretty sure he was or is a submariner.
From all his past comments i take it he doesnt like it at all though im afraid.
OMSSMretd

Post by OMSSMretd »

Frazer you in SM2 mate? I was an OM SSM. I take it you've not been to sea yet and you are also waiting you SMQ or whatever they call it nowadays. My guess is at the moment your sat in an office running errands and making brews for a load of fat old warrant officers and chiefs. Probably In defiance building. Been there and done that mate. The technical term for it is dead time.
Its like this mate what your doing now is just killing time until they can send you to sea once there mate you'll find its not so boring. Once doing you SMQ dry you'll pobably do your smq wet ie you and a few of your colleagues attach to a boat for a month or so so you can qualify as a submariner and get your dolphins. After that you can be drafted to a boat as an OM2. Then you will have to do your task book and on the job training to maintain OPS. This will be your first real chance to find out if you like the Job you've been trained in. As part of a boats ships company you will be part of whatever that boat is tasked to do. Personally I would steer clear of bombers if you get the choice go for S and T 's if you can as thier role is more varied. An operational boat could be cruising under the ice one month and be doing torpedo firings in the bahamas the next month, you could be running sneaky ops in the barents or special forces ops wherever (it a secret see). And amongst all this thrilling stuff you may even get some Jolly's, a week in a hotel on subsitance allowance cant be bad.
Stick with it mate you wont know if its for you or not until you go to sea. I think the dead times just getting you down. My advice would be to go spend some time at the gym, get involved. Make your self as pleasant as possible its worth bearing in mind the more people you know the easier it will be for you when you get on board.
It's a submarine not a f*cking tambourine !
jockladfaejockland

Post by jockladfaejockland »

alright fraz it's Clarky it don't get any better mate go for the Bootnecks! :D hope you had a good new year will see you soon mate I leave for raleigh on sunday so I'll see you there
Nobbys the name Minehunting the game.

I'll get me coat...
Doc

Post by Doc »

You lot make a great advert for the Submarine Service :lol: :lol: :lol:

Go Royal and say goodbye to your ...............knees...........hips.........shins.........mental stability.........liver..........have a gender crisis whilst ashore.............ohhh but the fun of it and I was only attached :lol:
jockladfaejockland

Post by jockladfaejockland »

I'd love to get an attachment to the tick tocking royal machines but last I heard they were not looking for wsm or mw ratings :lol:
Nobbys the name Minehunting the game.

I'll get me coat...
OMSSMretd

Post by OMSSMretd »

You know what they say " If you dont like it put your notice in." :lol:
Seriously though how long is the notice period nowadays when I left it was 18 months hence the above joke, caue if you were dripping about anything in particular, by the time you had got out you'd have forgotten why you wanted to leave.
Doc

Post by Doc »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

By the time my 18 months were up I'd forgotten I'd put my notice in 18 months ago. We had moved to Chivenor and life was good, had a quarter, rumours were abound that I was going to get made up and to top it all I was out of packing tents and into the drug store (days went by quick in a kind of rainbow haze :lol: )

Next thing draft to Drake for leaving routine and discharge shore, end of service, they offered to keep me in on the provision I did a draft at Drake with the Blue Navy :o :o :o .............I left straight away, saved them issuing me naval kit, plus the bollockings for not standing still in the roadway facing the main mast and saluting, plus getting told a parasmock, jungle trousers, jungle boots and a green tshirt werent naval uniform :roll: . :lol: :lol: :lol:
OMSSMretd

Post by OMSSMretd »

Next thing draft to Drake for leaving routine and discharge shore, end of service, they offered to keep me in on the provision I did a draft at Drake with the Blue Navy :o :o :o .............I left straight away, saved them issuing me naval kit, plus the bollockings for not standing still in the roadway facing the main mast and saluting, plus getting told a parasmock, jungle trousers, jungle boots and a green tshirt werent naval uniform :roll: . :lol: :lol: :lol:
Know what you mean mate I had the same problem with nicks and flip flops, bastard reggies have no sense of fun, it wasnt as if the wrens minded me waiting outside there block in the bushes.....
I left Hms Triumph to join Drake for my last month (Iwas told by my DO I hadnt qualified for terminal leave) only to be told I had 30 mins to do my leaving routine. 1 hour later I was stood outside Drake main gate thinking what the fark happened there. I had thought I would have had a month being in the buffers party or somthing mind numbing like that, to come to terms with leaving the mob. But instead I was now stood outside of what had been my life. I think after that I never really felt that I had been treated fairly so for 2 years bitterness and a succesion of sh£%y jobs nearly pushed me over the edge. The only thing that put me back on my feet was when my wife forced me to contact the RFEA. I got a job in a call centre where 50% of the staff were ex forces, it was like coming home. After that I learnt to be a civvie and realised that I had left the Navy for the right reasons but it took a long time to get there.
So guys I suppose the moral of the story is the grass isnt always greener. If your 100% certain you wont to leave the mob thats fine but just remember that when you do go back to civvie street things will never be the same.
Doc

Post by Doc »

I was in Drake for one week, thredders with the place and they got thredders with me. Manned the main gate with the bootys for a few days, naval stores didnt want any green kit handed into them so I flogged it, leaving routine took 2 hours, and I went for my last scran in the galley and the CPO on the door asked for my ID card.........errr just left "MATE" :lol: he let me in for scran, then I was outside the gate, taxi to Guz station and away I went. Once your gone your gone. Lived near Chivenor for 12 months after that and spent more time in camp than when I was serving there.....lads looked after me until I found my feet god bless them.
frazer777

Post by frazer777 »

hey clarky mate you know i would go accross in a heartbeat lol yeah new year was ok nothing to special like. i am startin my way back on friday going to pop over an see my mother before i come back. breaks the traveling up too. hope you had a good new year an christmass to mate.
frazer777

Post by frazer777 »

cheers OMSSM for the pick me up. i am on dead time at the moment i have done my SMQ dry on Bombers :-? and all im waiting for is the SETT tank so i can go to sea and do my wet phase. To be honest im not finding things very interesting i like more physical things rather than classroom work all the time an that seems to be all it consists of. Since i have been on dead time i have been useing the gym an that every day going swimming an running, not sure how good im going to be at all them after the christmass and new year rite enough :P
OMSSMretd

Post by OMSSMretd »

jockladfaejockland wrote:alright fraz it's Clarky it don't get any better mate go for the Bootnecks! :D hope you had a good new year will see you soon mate I leave for raleigh on sunday so I'll see you there
Jock whats this clarky business. In The Articles of War (clause 59 sub note 1a) it says that "Anyone with the name Clark shall here after be known as Nobby whether they like it or not". :o
I dont know next you'll all be on first name terms. :roll: