Share This Page:

Is this sort of thing normal?

Discussions on joining & training in the Royal Navy.
Dickie

Is this sort of thing normal?

Post by Dickie »

This might seem a bit of a weird one, but I was having a bit of a trawl through the Navy's website, and came across a biography about a Naval Commander who after a while in the Far East did the All Arms Commando Course, then went on to teach at Sandhurst, and whilst there he had a few months to spare before courses began so he went to Northern Ireland with the Army leading an infantry platoon for 3 months, and now commands HMS Liverpool. After looking at similar pieces, this seems to be unusual. I don't want to sound like some fool saying "Hey, it wud B like so kewl to go to NI and shoot stuff!", but obviously this guy has had one hell of a varied and interesting career, but is it more of a case of being in the right place at the right time (or knowing the right people) to get the chance to go off and do different things or is it more to do with people who have the drive and enthusiasm tend to make their own opportunities and generally go far and succeed?

Once again, thanks.
jockladfaejockland

Post by jockladfaejockland »

I believe you can apply for special duties to serve with the army etc as one of my oppos from fas went to NI with some army reg can't tell you for the life of me what its' name was but he said he enjoyed it. I think if you are sitting twiddling your thumbs you can apply and be fast tracked I can't because i am awaiting a medical
Nobbys the name Minehunting the game.

I'll get me coat...
letsrole

Post by letsrole »

I know that for your first posting from RM YO training can be with an army recce team. If they have had a strong batch and more people have made it through than anticipated. The officers volunteer for army places. That army like them because they have been trained well and its good for the officers too I suppose because they get introduced to the armour, which is good in relation to Viking. Heard that one from someone in YO training!
Doc

Post by Doc »

I served with the Army, it was still within 3 Cdo but wasn't "normal" at the time.

Some pilot types cross train, whilst some cross dress :o

Flo's hubby is serving in Germany with a REME unit and he's a bootneck Sgt.

You also get exchages with other countries such as USA and Aus.

There is/used to be a para member on the AACC training team at CTC, and a bootneck at the All Arms PCoy team.

With the new Recce Unit at Hereford that will be tri-service (old 14 int was the same) and the new Ranger unit will also have a Booty element, eventually.

Back in the mid-nineties 42 Cdo had a few ghurkas to boost ranks and 59 use Ghurka sappers now.

Booty Officers can also attend command courses with the Army and the RAF have a few officers with 3 Cdo.

Possibilites are endless, but you wont find many matelots within the Household Division :o :lol:
Hostage_Negotiator

Post by Hostage_Negotiator »

Doc wrote:
Possibilites are endless, but you wont find many matelots within the Household Division :o :lol:
Only because they won't allow more than one Queen in the Palace at any given time!
chris78290

Post by chris78290 »

that was actually pretty darn funny H-N!!