Share This Page:

So far so good!

Discussions on joining & training in the Royal Navy.
matt2301

So far so good!

Post by matt2301 »

hello again guys, 'tis me!

Just to say thanks for the advice so far, I can inform you (not that you care:D) that I passed the naval RT test yesterday with no bother. Whoever told me it wasnt hard was right.

So, cracking on.........

Next up is the medical/fitness test. They said that it would be done together on the one day? So apart from my training for this, I was wondering what I should do in the few days before the actual test?

Ive read the sticky, but was wondering if there was anything that someone wishes they knew before they started the test?

The marines tabbing tips I've been looking at include NOT doing any exercise in the last 3 days before the test, to give your body a break.

So my main ideas so far is to get a good nights sleep in the 3 days before the test, decent meals, lucozade before the big event? Anything to give me an edge will be appreciated. Ive invested in a good pair of trainers.

I know you guys are a lot fitter than me, so this will seem like a piece of cake for you, but not for me!:( So I need all the help I can get.

Its just the running that I need help with. All the other stuff, like press ups, swimming and other sorts I'm squared away for.

Say if you fail the running for example. If they can clearly see that you really have given it your all, and are as keen as mustard for the RN, might they give you the benefit of the doubt and let you in? Then train the fitness into you? I just want to know exactly how important this is.

Last question. How long is it (WHEN i pass all of these tests) am I officially in the RN? Is it when you take the Oath?

Apologies for the newbness, but once Im in the know Ill help some other bloke out in turn.

Many thanks for all replies.

Matt
SeaCat

Post by SeaCat »

Well, the mile and a half fitness test isnt hard...hell I did it, and still can! Luckerly i joined before the pre recruitment fitness test(as to many fat lazy twats were joining up i guess)

And as being apart of the navy(you crazy crazy fool) you not apart of it, until you sign the forms on day 1 at HMS Raleigh, there aint no oath....good luck, you`ll need it.
OMSSMretd

Post by OMSSMretd »

Matt, I joined the mob in 1994 and left in 2002 so things have more than likely changed somewhat, but in my day it was the joining process was as follows.
Intial interview
Written Tests and Aptitude test.
Interview with Chief Petty Officer (quite scary for a callow youth).
Medical Examination (when I joined up you were not given any actual fitness tests before arrival at raliegh).
If you passed all of the above you were given a date to join and called back to the careers office for a brief on what to expect.

Hmm tips on things to take to raliegh everyone will tell you this but make sure you get a good quality steam iron a lot of your time will be spent engaging in this activity. Get some good quality but easy to clean running shoes. Also take a couple of brand new smart underpants which you never intend to wear these can then be kept just for kit musters and will always look smart. Learn how to wash clothes by hand and how to iron them this will help a great deal. If possible get someone to show you how to bull shoes to get a glass like finish. As long as you follow the pre- joining fitness guide you will be fine dont worry if you dont pass any of the tests straight away, when i was at raliegh the pti's were looking for 100% effort as long as you do this you will be fine as you will be put in a remedial class obviousley this is to be avoided.

what to expect at raliegh... Raliegh phsically wasnt that tough beware this may have changed! It is more about turning a civilian into a serviceman they are basically seeing how you react to following orders when tired and under pressure. expect to do a lot of drill, a lot of exercise but also a lot of classroom work. This can be as bad as the phys as its somtimes a struggle to stay awake when youve been up all night seeing to your kit. In the evening be prepared to spend long hours scrubbing out and cleaning and pressing your kit. enjoy it and remember ralieghs not the navy, in fact its nothing like it but if you relax and keep calm work hard youll make it to pass out then you will be considered to be in the navy, although you will still be a sprog, then youll begin your career training and more importantly the drinking training and the trapping training and if you are lucky enough you might get to visit joannas (the royal navy school of dancing) and learn to dance like a matelot. This will perhaps be the most challenging aspect of the experiance. But remember you wont be considered a matelot till youve been round the world twice and caught vd seven times.
matt2301

Post by matt2301 »

OMSSMretd, Many thanks for that. Thast exactly what I needed to know.

Cheers for typing out all that!