Share This Page:

Coldstream Guards

General discussions on joining & training in the British Army.
Maverick00

Coldstream Guards

Post by Maverick00 »

Do any of the learned persons on this site know much about this regiment, particularly in terms of officer recruitment? Are they the same as any other Guards regiment in regard to the unwritten requirements of wealth, status and family heritage? Reason I ask is that I am not from what you would call a typical Guards background but they do interest me. Any help appreciated!
flynn101

Post by flynn101 »

Theres a guy on these forums whos a guard at the mo called Grimey Vibes go pm him
Last edited by flynn101 on Fri 12 Aug, 2005 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jobag

Post by Jobag »

The person you require goes by the name, Grimey Vibes :wink:
Maverick00

Post by Maverick00 »

Thanking you sirs! I shall enquire directly...
Grimey Vibes

Post by Grimey Vibes »

Pm on you way Maverick.
Get on "PARADE"

"You drill like a bad hip-hop artist, MC Miss A Beat"
GD

Post by GD »

I would doubt very much your ability to secure a commission in the guards my friend, for the reasons you have already stated. The world is a changing place though and the army has changed too so in my opinion you could try for it but have a second option lept close to your chest.

Keep it close to your chest too. If you pass RCB let them think they're going to lose you unless you get the brigade of guards.
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!
Maverick00

Post by Maverick00 »

Its not my sole desire to join the Guards, I simply had a browse around, read a bit about the Coldstreamers and it sparked my interest. I can't see the point in pushing for a regiment that I won't fit in with though. So far RA is top of my list as I've met quite a few gunner officers and have got on well with all of them. Sponsored by Royal Anglians and am yet to meet some of their officers until I (hopefullly) go on an attachment so will have to wait and see.
Thanks for the honest answer though much appreciated.

P.S. If you have any word on RAng from previous experiences I'd be interested to hear it.
An error only becomes a failure when you fail to learn from that error...adapt and overcome
GD

Post by GD »

I know nothing of RAng (whatever that might be) but I still say the same about RCB. Be polite but firm if they try to edge you towards something you don't want. The correct phrase to use when disagreeing with them is: WITH ALL DUE RESPECT SIR, THAT ISN'T WHAT I WANT AND MY HEART IS SET ON JOINING *******. IF THERE ARE NO PLACES WITH ****** JUST NOW, MAY i RESPECTFULLY REQUEST THAT I BE SENT HOME UNTIL SUCH TIMES AS THERE ARE?
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam!
guardsmancolthard

Post by guardsmancolthard »

well mate im in the grenadier guards, officers in the household division are a bunch of posh c@#t! You see you have to have a public school background they expect you to be an officer and a gentleman!!!!! If your grandfather wernt with em, you aint gettin in!!1
Honi soit qui mal y pense
GD

Post by GD »

Well mate, I came from a cavalry regiment and we were just as posh as the guards. Things have changed though.

There appear to be three things necessary for young officers coming through RCB.

1. Education
2. Ability
3. Suitability

While a well educated, able, ex-public schoolboy is obviously a suitable candidate for the image of a guards officer, there's no reason why an ordinary 5/8 shouldn't be able to fit in if he has acquired the necessary social skills.

Same as is happening in the cavalry.
guardsmancolthard

Post by guardsmancolthard »

Have you noticed how all officers from the household division 'know' each other. Its not because of the army but because of the pulic school relationship. They expect you to fit in, the guards' officer corps is very snobbirish!!
Honi soit qui mal y pense
GD

Post by GD »

It's on the change I tell you.
harry73

Post by harry73 »

Listen to "Blood sport for all" by Carter USM. That will tell you all you need to know about the Coldstream Guards. :D

As for Cavalry Officers and Household Division Officers Im in the HCR and we have this new officer called Harry Wales. "Common as muck he is" :D

No seriously I agree with GD here the times they are a changing, but so what if a officer is upper class and speaks very posh. Is he good at his job that important and most are. Just because your well of does'nt mean your a crap soldier.

Any way as we all know it's the Troop/Platoon Sergeant that really runs things.

harry
GD

Post by GD »

In the 80's we had a great officer on attachment from NIH and he was told by the CO that he should seriously consider a career as an officer but not in our regiment because he didn't have the social standing.

Now there are mates of mine who were troopers and have come up through the ranks and they are officers in sabre squadrons in my regiment and in other cavalry outfits.

are there any officers in HCR or Guards Div who have done the same? I don't mean QM's commissions either - I mean positions of command in field formations? If there are then you'll start to see what I mean.

The army wants professional officers these days, not stiff upper lip 'yahs'.
harry73

Post by harry73 »

GD wrote
Now there are mates of mine who were troopers and have come up through the ranks and they are officers in sabre squadrons in my regiment and in other cavalry outfits.

are there any officers in HCR or Guards Div who have done the same? I don't mean QM's commissions either - I mean positions of command in field formations? If there are then you'll start to see what I mean.
You right GD.

Here in the HCR a large amount of Officers are from the Ranks. Working class lads gone up through the ranks and are now Cavalry Officers in the Household Division. Granted there usually QM's or Training Wing for example but the odd Squadron Leader is a LE Officer more and more now days.

harry