Share This Page:

Territorial Commissions Board (TCB) Briefing

General discussions on joining & training in the Territorial Army.
Calamity_Jane

Territorial Commissions Board (TCB) Briefing

Post by Calamity_Jane »

Having just been on my TAF1 weekend and getting the Trade that I wanted (Movement Operator), I have also been been put forward for Officer Potential and was wondering if anyone could give me some advise on how to prepare for the TCB? or where I can find some info on Officer Selection?

Thank you in advance
Calamity Jane
:lol:
Thrithraing

Post by Thrithraing »

Well, how do.

I've just been put forward for mine (infantry), so I'll tell you what I know.

First off, you complete your phase 1 training. Easy as.

Then you go on a pre-TA MB. This is just a run through of the MB, so you'll do command tasks and essays and stuff. We also did the lecturettes and planning exercise. It's all really simple stuff, slow time. As long as you're switched on, no biggy.

Then your briefing is more of the same, but a bit harsher and your scored on it. You then get a pass, fail (encourage) or fail (discourage).

Then onto TA MB.

Which Brigade you in? I'm 143 (WM)
To Err is human, to Moo - Bovine...
Calamity_Jane

TCB

Post by Calamity_Jane »

Hey Thrithraing

Thanks for help.. Can I ask you how you've prepared yourself?

Im with Royal Logistic Corp at the moment '5 Trg Rgt', got my TAF2 in Septemeber then onto the two training in November, which I cannot wait for.. In the mean time I'm trying to prepare myself for Officer Selection!

Keep me posted..

All the best

Calamity Jane
Thrithraing

Post by Thrithraing »

That's really strange. You'll know Lt Colonel *Frank* then?

We're doing a lot of our training with 5 Trg Rgt.

Get yourself fit, maybe look into getting a few more quals to your name and get yourself on as many TA courses as you can. Don't be afraid of responsibilty.

If you want to PM me, I'll give you my MSN for some more in depth stuff.

Aside from that, learn how to make a decision. It doesn't have to right at the time, it just has to be the best at the time.

Si
Walker

Post by Walker »

When I first joined my unit and said I would like to become an Officer they put me through TAFS 1 & 2 then loaded me onto the next Potential Official (PO) selection board. Upon passing selection I was given a place on the Territorial Army Officer Course (TAOC) run at Bde level which aimed to prepare PO's and Direct Entrants (DE's) for the Territorial Army Commissioning Course (TACC) and RMAS and along the way help them prepare for and pass both the Briefing and Main Board.

I imagine after completing Phase 2 you will be booked onto TAOC, or maybe even sooner as my TAOC had the 2 week CMS(R) built into it. Things may be different for you guys but this new format is being rolled out across all Bde's.

If you have anymore questions feel free to ask.
Thrithraing

Post by Thrithraing »

Ok, to clear this up, I'll write out the whole shebang (of the way we're doing it).

1. You Pass your Phase 1 basic training (patrols/field admin/range work/section attack etc.)

2. You have been indentified as a PO.

3. You do your Module 2 Officer Training (Map Reading/Signals/Platoon Atk/Orders and estimates etc.) and also your Pre-TA MB and TA-MB around the same time.

4. You go on a 9 day battle camp (everything you do on Module 2 put into practice in test conditions in the field). This is one of the biggies.

5. You go to Sandhurst for two weeks, one week of this is prep work.

6. You pass out, your parents are proud of you, the cat comes home, your pick up truck flips itself back on to the highway, everyone cheers, you get a ceremonial sword, you get the sword taken off you, they give you a mug instead, you cry becasue the mug says 'Worlds Best Grandma '86', you do post commissioning training.

There you have it.

Si 8)
Walker

Post by Walker »

Same as me mate, how far on are you?
Calamity_Jane

Potential Officer List

Post by Calamity_Jane »

Well guy's I have just been informed that I am now on the official Potential Officer E-Mail Database.. My first date for Map Reading Training is the 23rd-25th Sept.

I sure many of you are thinking, so what! But I'm exciting as Im sure many of you were when you were first started out..

Any tips/advise would be much appriciated.

Calamity Jane
Walker

Post by Walker »

Good to see you eager, it'll pay off later when you're freezing and soaked to the bone then the DS can see who really does want to pass.

No real tips regarding map reading just pay attention, the likelihood is it will be death via Powerpoint just try to stay awake and look switched on. The content itself is no biggy but it's important.

Have you heard when the next PO selection board for you is? Or is the map reading the first of the 10 weekends?
Calamity_Jane

Post by Calamity_Jane »

Walker wrote:Have you heard when the next PO selection board for you is? Or is the map reading the first of the 10 weekends?
Hey Walker

Thanks for the advise.. This will be my first weekend, so who knows when my next selection board will be.. Im guessing thats all your waiting for then?

Calamity Jane
Walker

Post by Walker »

Nah I passed the selection last year then did the course, well half of it then had an operation on my foot and it got infected so had to drop out. I'm just waiting for Phase 2 to start not long now first weekend of Sept.
island

Post by island »

No way - they take your sword away. I will buy one!