Share This Page:

Police and TA

General discussions on joining & training in the Territorial Army.
Clean

Police and TA

Post by Clean »

Right. I joined the TA technically when i was 17 and was currently at collage and part time work. Basically I dropped my corse cause if was shit and quit work as it was mundane. Im now just over 18 and for last few months have been looking at and talking with police in reguards to joining. Im currently in 102 (Royal Engineer's) and have been told that once im fully trained within 2 years i will almost def be sent on a posting. Thing is I told police this and they said if i was doing the 2 yr training corse to become a policeman than it would be up to the Chief if I could go on a 6month posting.

This would seriously f@#k up my corse and I thought if TA asked me to go im legally obligied to go.

So my question is. Should I at 18 1/2 apply to police force and go on with corse knowing that i may be called up and that everythng could be a f@#k mess?
King_duck

Post by King_duck »

Its unlikely you will be forcibly called up. They ussually ask for volunteers and THEN forcibly call them up to secure their jobs. If you are in a job and have advised them that you are part of the TA (in fact legally the TA do it for you now) then your job will be secure. The police force are only allowed a certain percentage to serve with the TA so you have to advice them on application to the police or ask permission to join the TA when your a copper!!
Clean

Post by Clean »

Well I joined already and I'm happy. Hopefully they will let me in :)
Hostage_Negotiator

Post by Hostage_Negotiator »

Forget Civpol and go on the Tri Service Spelling Course ! Civpol will not touch you with language skills that poor!
"When you men get home and face an anti-war protester, look him in the eyes and shake his hand. Then, wink at his girlfriend, because she knows she's dating a pussy."
King_duck

Post by King_duck »

What an informative and illuminating post... Your not aiming to be a mod are you? :D
Clean

Post by Clean »

LOL always a smart arse. I am not going to spent time proof reading and spell checking a post so certain people who seam to have time to waste can feel at ease with it.

Im capable of spelling when it is needed I have a A in English (Higher) and I certainly dont need to prove it to a person who only posts in such a fashion as to attept to gain a laugh.

anywayz im rambling, just dont post bs when i ask for help.
Hostage_Negotiator

In answer to the above:

K_D :

Thanks for the vote of confidence, coming from someone such as yourself I'm touched......no, honestly! :wink: Oh, and no I'm far too easy going to be a Mod!

Clean :

LOL always a smart arse. I am not going to spent time proof reading and spell checking a post so certain people who seam to have time to waste can feel at ease with it.

Im capable of spelling when it is needed I have a A in English (Higher) and I certainly dont need to prove it to a person who only posts in such a fashion as to attept to gain a laugh.

anywayz im rambling, just dont post bs when i ask for help."

So, you think that was just about being a smartass! Time spent proof reading and spell checking when you're a copper is the difference between a conviction and an also ran! I think I can speak with some authority on this subject but then again I've only been doing it for a short while! If you think I posted just to get a cheap laugh at your expense think again. Having read several of your informed posts I can assure you that you don't require any assistance from me to be ridiculed! You claim to have an 'A' in English (Higher) yet you write like a hormonal 14 year old. If you are as educated as you claim then put it to use, drop the slang and don't presume that just because it's a forum that words like "anywayz" are the latest thing! Oh! and just as a bit of friendly advice, very few UKHD Forces will take you on at 18. Something to do with lack of life experience and maturity!

Suggest you go to Chatham and learn to be a Planty instead!
"When you men get home and face an anti-war protester, look him in the eyes and shake his hand. Then, wink at his girlfriend, because she knows she's dating a pussy."
Clean

Post by Clean »

OFF TOPIC AGAIN:

When working I can see why you would proof read, but not in my spare time. I am not going to spent an extra 10 minutes to go over what I have said for the benefit or yourself. The manner is which I choose to post is my own and I prefer typing like that. I know what I capable of and in my posts the jist and content of what I speak about is grassped. I'll again ask what exactly what the point of your post? Your last post, I quote loosly "Dont get 18 year olds to join police force due to maturity etc" was helpful even thou a tad sarcastic.

I came here expecting almost everyone to be helpful and not to attempt the quick laugh, guess that was a bit naive.
Clean

Post by Clean »

I completely understand that, within TA, and collage life I am able to do this but free time is to be enjoyed and I just wanna relax :(
Hostage_Negotiator

Its not about scoring points, getting a laugh or taking the piss!
It's real! Attention to detail means lives! I appreciate that you just want to chill but I'm talking from harsh experience here! I learnt the hard way and where I can I'll try to save others that hardship and grief, if that means that sometimes I come across as a touch harsh then so be it! for me the price in the past has been to expensive to start slacking now!
You'll do what you are comfortable with! Lets hope nobody takes you outside your comfort zone
Cheers
H_N
Clean

Post by Clean »

Its cool least we got that sorted :)
big jar of wasps

Clean

Post by big jar of wasps »

Hi Clean,

My advice, is thus...............

Don`t bother with the TA, I suggest you do a few years in the regular Army first, get a bit of life experiance, then try for the Civilian Police. This will stand you in good sted at your interview, when you have to come up with real life situation that you`ve dealt with. Without wanting to sound dismissive, at 18 your still wet behind the ears, and the streets of Britain are unforgiving. Without wanting to sound cheesey, the Army will make a man of you, you`ll be more confident, and be able to cope with crazy situations, which you A in English, might not have prepared you for, again I`m not having a dig, i`m just telling you how it is. I wish you every success in the future.

BJOW (Iraq)
goldie ex rmp

Post by goldie ex rmp »

I know this may appear silly but what about joining the RMP?, what better training can you get on how not to do a job properly when it comes to Police work lol.
My spelling is pish as well but i have had to work extra hard during my life to stop myself making major fcukups, if only i had an A in Art never mind bloody English.
Attention to detail is everything when it comes to paperwork as i have found out the hard way in the past so i would put your A to good use with everything you type/write and that way you can only improve.
Good luck anyway mate.
Exemplo Ducemus (By Example We Lead)

"Do not confuse your rank with my authority....Sir!"
Clean

Post by Clean »

Thx for help, im going to go in and speak to someone within the TA and the chances are I may just join Army and hopefully go into RMP. If only I hadnt thought of stuff like this before :(