Share This Page:

Date for AIB

Discussions on joining & training in the Royal Navy.
skoot

Date for AIB

Post by skoot »

Just posted my forms to my ACLO last week. How long does it normally take between sending your forms in and getting a date for the AIB?
Last edited by skoot on Wed 20 Apr, 2005 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fossil

Post by Fossil »

I think it very much depends on when in the "AIB cycle" you send your forms in, but I got mine within a couple of weeks or so and the AIB was around three weeks after that.
Sabre_55

Post by Sabre_55 »

Skoot- posted mine at around the same time and have yet to hear back - apparantly they are still at the AIB.
skoot

Post by skoot »

Was thinking of phoning up to find out. Received a letter a week or two ago saying they had received my application and were now checking whether I was eligible for the position I was applying for.
What you applying for sabre?
Sabre_55

Post by Sabre_55 »

received a similar letter yesterday (received application, checking over etc).

Planning to do Warfare on Sub's.
skoot

Post by skoot »

Im hoping to join as MEO on subs. I think the subs sound great! Can't imagine why very few people volunteer. You been on the Potential Officer candidate visit? Stayed on HMS Bristol for a few nights in Jan. Wanted to get a visit to a sub but that never happened. When you wanting to start if you get accepted? I have one more year of uni left so would hopefully any time after June next year.
Sabre_55

Post by Sabre_55 »

Skoot - have got my AIB on 24th of May. Any news back yet?
skoot

Post by skoot »

Sabre_55 wrote:Skoot - have got my AIB on 24th of May. Any news back yet?
Yeah, got mine on 6th of June. Not too long now! You think you are prepared? Just finished my exams so going to spend next few weeks learning as much about current affairs as possible. Think I am ok on Navy knowledge. What did you think of the example questions they sent? Most of them were ok, although will be short on time!
feederboy

Post by feederboy »

Lads, theres a reason why you didn't get to visit a sub on potential officers' course.
skoot

Post by skoot »

feederboy wrote:Lads, theres a reason why you didn't get to visit a sub on potential officers' course.
Well I was going to but I didn't have time. The guy I flew down to Bristol with had been on one though and seemed to enjoy it. Whats your views then? Seems to be all negative on here.
Sabre_55

Post by Sabre_55 »

just completed AIB - :D passed. if anyones looking for some useful info drop me a line.
skoot

Post by skoot »

Well done mate! Im off next mon (6th june). Just brushing up on things now. What were the leadership excercises and the planning excercise like? Not sure about those areas so any useful info would be appreciated. Were you applying for sponsorship or DE? Did they mention roughly how long before they let you know if you got in?
Sabre_55

Post by Sabre_55 »

Plan ex - discuss as a group!!! remember what you are trying to acomplish and weigh up the pro's and con's of each option. You will be grilled by the PSO on your ability to recall details of the plan, and real off speed/distance/time equations quickly - dont worry about it, just answer what you can and relax. Above all work as a team.

PLT's - GREAT FUN - by far and away the most enjoyable aspect of the visit. Remember to be loud but concise, and keep giving encouragement. When you are leader, act as a leader; tell your team what you want to get done, tell them how your going to do it, then do it! if it starts going wrong, dont be afraid to say 'STOP' and try something else. When you are a member of the team, give it your all. Keep giving your team mates and team leader encouragement (VOCAL and physcial) and be happy to get wet.

advice for the third day - be vocal, be confident and try to have fun!

(i am applying for DE, and supposedly will find out in the next couple of weeks)
skoot

Post by skoot »

What were the written exams like? I think I should do Ok on those but I can imagine they will be exhausting! What kind of topics were available or the essay? I'm applying for a bursary for my final year at uni so I'm not sure if I will find out as soon as you. Either way I hope it isn't too long! The waiting will be the worst part (assuming I pass).
skoot

Post by skoot »

Just got back from AIB having gained a "strong" pass! Couldn't believe it! Was certain I had not passed! Cheers to everyone who helped me on here! Any info required now from me just ask.