Share This Page:

TA in college

General discussions on joining & training in the Territorial Army.
friendlyfireaintfriendly

TA in college

Post by friendlyfireaintfriendly »

Im currently considering joining the TA in a couple of years when im eighteen, however at the time ill still be in college. Will the TA call me up in the middle of exams thus probably affecting my whole life?
GARRYOWEN

Post by GARRYOWEN »

Full time students are exempt from the mobilisation process.
FAR AWAY SO CLOSE!
TA_soldier_abernethy

Post by TA_soldier_abernethy »

mate, i strongly advise you don't do it.

They won't call you up, however i was 17 when i joined, and was studying my A levels, but the TA just took over my life and i dropped out. All i cared about was the TA, and i put in 150 working days in 8 months.. and now I am off to chilwell in two weeks for Iraq and I am still having the greatest time of my life with no regrets.

ANother case is a mate of mine who joined up when doing his A levels, he has since left the TA because he struggled to juggle the TA and school when schoolwork was so hectic.

Something to bear in mind.
GARRYOWEN

Post by GARRYOWEN »

Yes it does take over your life. My work at university has taken a nose dive recently due to the time I spend with the TA.
FAR AWAY SO CLOSE!
Hantslad

Post by Hantslad »

I got a 2:2 after three years of TA filled university life. Still, at least I had fun!
wannabe_bootneck

Post by wannabe_bootneck »

I was dedicated to the TA and have so far missed 2 drill nights in a year and a half and all whislt doing my A-Levels and I came out with an A B & D so I'm happy, and guess what end of exam bonus I got from TA, 18 days in Canada on a small unit exchange in Toronto, best time of me life. I say go for it but you have to be good at balancing, and you will see a bit of a decline in your social life as you may need to graft a bit more, but somehow I managed to keep a healthy balance between all 3 and I owe the TA a hell of a lot.
friendlyfireaintfriendly

Well my logic is that i want to check i want the military life before Going Royal Marines officer as well as doing something interesting. It also seems a good way to combine a part time job and do some interesting stuff.

Im a pretty good juggler so not too worried about that. What is an average training weekend like? Any big advantages or disadvantages? also how much does that 27 days cut into life considering i am taking 4 AS levels and am intending to continue all of themto A2?

Sorry about all the questions just its my 17th birthday coming up and i really need a job but i wish to avoid mcdonalds and the like and i can combine it with something i enjoy and get some skills from

Also of note any comments on going for TA officer? Im avoiding it at the moment as i feel i might as well get the experience of being the guy at the bottom before going for Officer later on in Regs and do it "proper" if you understand?
wannabe_bootneck

Post by wannabe_bootneck »

Don't go officer! Be a tom to start with, you will enjoy it far more, I promise! Also I managed to crack 3 A2s and do TA at the same time quite comfortably. And like I say, I did a ton of training with the TA all through this period. You just have to keep your priorities, I let mine sldie a bit, but corrected myself at the end. I say go for it, your mates won't udnerstand and will constantly refer to it as cadets or some pish, but just correct them and when you go do gucci things like firing a royal salute for the queens brthday like I did and they seem to be a bit humbled like. YOu will need to miss 2 weeks of studies, as the army tends to take it's hols a the same time as schools etc do. e.g. X-Mas, Easter etc. But I did it and came out on top.
friendlyfireaintfriendly

Yeah, i definitely want to experience it as PFC first, especially as i will have plenty of time to play 'ossifer when in regs if i want(Apparently positive mental attitude so excuse me :P
Scottish_Kiwi

Post by Scottish_Kiwi »

If your wanting to go RM Officer why not try and join the RMR. It will take over your life though.

http://www.royal-navy.mod.uk/server/show/nav.2974
K
StanyerB

Post by StanyerB »

It becomes a bit of an obsession, although everyone I know denys it.