Share This Page:

Underwater with glasses

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Marines.
Wee Willy Winkie

Underwater with glasses

Post by Wee Willy Winkie »

hey, before you have a go at me for not checking the search facility i have for half an hour (literally!) but cant find anything that informs me of this, if you were to join the Marines with glasses or contacts which of course a lot of people have, then how do you take part in the waterbased training and exercises where you have to be fully submerged. I believe, if wearing contacts, you cant go underwater but im not sure the PTI will be very reasonable!! i would like to hear the views expressed by serving or ex-marines on this topic and if anybody replys who wears glasses could they also tell me of any materials etc they have treated their glasses with to combat the water or fogging. Thanks alot , Andy
GARRYOWEN

Post by GARRYOWEN »

How about taking your glasses/contact lenses of before you go into the water. Just a thought.
FAR AWAY SO CLOSE!
AC

Post by AC »

Well, glasses or no glasses - doesn't matter a toss underwater because everything's blurred to feck regardless. Your peepers require air to function properly (which is why SCUBA masks and goggles allow you to see underwater), if there is liquid on the surface of the eye, you won't be able to see properly. If thats what you wanted to know, hope it helps. If not, maybe you've learnt something new :)

I'm afraid I can't help any further on the glasses/contact lenses question.
If it doesn't hurt it's not worth doing!
Tab

Post by Tab »

It could be if he takes his glasses off then he is as blind as bat.

Post by 42 »

the only underwater ive done is dunker drills which you would be able to take your lenses out for.(and the odd venture into the barbican)
Wee Willy Winkie

thanks for the advice so far, im just saying that maybe out on real time operations the squad wouldnt want to hang about say for you to take off and put on your contacts before and after entering a river for example, its a hard topic to discuss. And i am probably more blind than a bat without my glasses, at least they have that damn sonar, wish i could have 1!! Cheers Andy
"All right, they're on our left, they're on our right, they're in front of us, they're behind us...they can't get away this time"

Post by Guest »

What about the water tunnel on the endurance course...can see that might be a problem 1) wasting time taking glasses off or 2) wearing glasses, and them falling off mid way through the tunnel.

Glasses and arduous military activities, dont really mix too well i imagine. Contacts might be the way forward.
Booker

Post by Booker »

When you have your eyes tested to send off your application you need to pass certain requirements for unaided vision. I presume this is so you dont need to wear your glasses when you are out and about doing physical work. So in answer to your question, if your eye sight is good enough to join you wont be wearing your glasses when you arrive at these situations.

I am however only just at the application stage myself, so this is not from personal experience.
Gazza85

Post by Gazza85 »

I'm quite shortsighted but i have passed the standard needed for the army. I only wear my glasses when driving or if im going to see a concert or something like that, otherwise i just put up with it.

You can still see everything its just not in full focus after a certain distance.

Besides i have bought one of them trusty Stretchy wires to put around the back of me head when im wearing my glasses. They dont fall off that way.
[img]http://img130.imageshack.us/img130/5848/georgiossamaras5bk.jpg[/img]
dannyd

Post by dannyd »

james (future Para) wrote:What about the water tunnel on the endurance course...can see that might be a problem 1) wasting time taking glasses off or 2) wearing glasses, and them falling off mid way through the tunnel.
When my mate was in training he wore contacts most of the time but glasses for the Endurance Course. He said he just quickly took them off for the water tunnel & then put them back on again afterwards.
Wee Willy Winkie

cheers for your replies, yeh i have one of those bungees that go around your head as well Gazza and it comes in very handy when out skiing or something. i will probably wear glasses primarily and have those throw-a-away contacts that you use for a day or so. Cheers again, Andy
"All right, they're on our left, they're on our right, they're in front of us, they're behind us...they can't get away this time"
james_m

Post by james_m »

Sorry if this is a stupid question but, do you open your eyes in the tunnel on the endurance course?
I thought the water would be too shitty!

Cheers
James_m
Jon

Post by Jon »

Contact lenses wouldnt be a good idea becasue they just come off in water. A pair of glasses can just be wiped and only take a second to take off or put on.
The Best Is Yet To Come
Gazza85

Post by Gazza85 »

The reason you cant wear contacts underwater is because water contains bacteria thats harmful to your eyes if it is exposed for a certain amount of time. So if you go underwater with them in and the water gets behind it your facked.
[img]http://img130.imageshack.us/img130/5848/georgiossamaras5bk.jpg[/img]
jay999

Post by jay999 »

What happens if you are short sighted and require glasses but seem to get on fine without them? This is my case and i only wear them 30minutes a week. Would i still need to wear glasses whilst in training?