Share This Page:

Global Warming

General Military Chat. New to the forums? Introduce yourself, Who are you and where are you from?

Are we going too se the full effect of global warming in our lifetime?

Yes
38%
No
63%

Total votes: 24

joethejudge

Global Warming

Post by joethejudge »

I wasn't sure where too put this but if it is in the wrong place I'm sure that it will be moved.

Global warming is a major world issue yet it doesn't seem too be getting the attention it needs too be stopped.
In my opinion we are not doing enough too preserve our environment. We have seen minor effects of global warming eg. the hurricanes in Britian and other such things.
Yesterday it hailed out here, in the middle of summer!!
I believe that if we don't do something soon then a major effect will happen. (I'm not sure what it will be but I'm pretty sure that it will effect us all).
Greg S

Post by Greg S »

The scientific community now agrees that global warming is caused by the sun heating up - not carbon dioxcide made by humans (1.5%). Most carbon released is caused by volcanoes and other natural causes.

Sod the global warming, the biggest danger is disease and other new viruses. Oh well, bring on the 4 horseman of the appocalypse.
bigbart

Post by bigbart »

First it's meteors, then it's viruses, the global warming, then terrorism. What else is going to kill us all?
If it happens, it happens. There's no point worrying all your life.
"Some day a real rain will come and wash all the scum off the streets..."
Spooky

Post by Spooky »

never mind all that; what about:

dirty bombs

bio terrorism.

before we feel any effects of environment change we're likely to feel the effects of someone trying to impose radical islamic rule on us :-?
SP

The line between BS and PC is thin and blurry
lew

Post by lew »

Don’t quote me on this because I cant remember where I read it?

Global warming happens roughly every other century, it is caused by the earth getting that little bit closer to the sun, and then returning back to its normal orbit over a period of 100 years or so. This causes temperature rises and falls strange weather patterns and so forth.

But you are right we arn't doing enough to look after the planet. We need to stop the rain forests being cut down, we need to stop over fishing the oceans, we need to stop hunting already endangered animals to the brink of extinction, we need to stop burning oil in the quantities we do, we need to stop polluting our own water supply with drugs etc.

But without the whole planet being in agreement with all of these they will not happen. For instance you cant tell a poor Brazilian guy to stop cutting down trees to make enough money to feed his family because its effecting the atmosphere, what you say if the situation were to be reversed?

lew
Last edited by lew on Tue 31 Aug, 2004 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All I want in life is a cold beer, a fast car, a big F**King gun and a hot woman to fetch the beer, and clean the car! is that really to much to ask? - Quotes by a redneck.com

recruit test 21 march - PASSED
medical 30 march - PASSED
interview 30 march - PASSED
PJFT - 11 april - PASSED 9:18
PRMC - 7th - 10th JUNE. PASSED
foundation - 29th August
Tab

Post by Tab »

Was it colder when the Antartic was covered in Jungle, was it colder when the Sahara was covered in jungle. Was it colder when we Elephants and Tigers where roaming Britain, come on folks it makes a good story but the earth gone through many changes and there is very little we can do to change things, so smile while you get your sun tan it may be an ice age on the next scare.

:drinking: :drinking: :drinking: :drinking: :drinking: :drinking: :drinking: :drinking: :drinking: :drinking:
Seven

Post by Seven »

Exactly, climate changes have been going on for millions of years. Let's not kid ourselves and think we are powerful enough to influence them.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”
Mark Twain
The Cheat

Post by The Cheat »

I hate to get scientific...but here goes...

Ice (ie the Ice Caps) contain pure water; no salt or disolved gas...nothing but water. As they melt due to this global warming they will disolve the excess Carbon Dioxide. It is an equilibrium that keeps the amount of carbon dioxide and the temerature in check. It just takes about 30 odd years for it to sort itself out.

The main issue with global warming, somthing that the Ice caps can't help is Methane. Methane, per molecule, causes about 5 times the warming effect as carbon dioxide. The real problem isn't the extra 1.5% Carbon dioxide that industry is making but the massive amounts made by cattle farming (from farting cows...Seriously) and from Rice farming, as the rotting rice paddies give off buckets of the stuff... and the people that rely on this rice are in no position to stop growing it... a massive change in farming techniques is going to be needed to stop this happening, and it will have to be cheap enough for these poor farmers.
Know your limits...Then crush them
Dave.Mil

Post by Dave.Mil »

Depending who you listen to, there are many wo say we are still coming out from he last Ice age and as pointed out by Tab we once had many tropical species in Britain so we have a way to go yet. Also the effects of volcanoes can influence the global temprature Mt St Helens supposedly produce more pollutants than the western world since the industrial revolution in one explosion. I'm all for global warming the sooner the better,sod he rest of you I'll be long gone before Britain is under water, at least I'll enjoy my retirement in the sun :D
The Cheat

Post by The Cheat »

Don't think so...But the government is trying to get rid of Dairy farms any way as since ww2 is over, we don't need to grow all our own food any more and now have a milk surplus. The gov. has to buy it off the farmers and pretty much throw it away. Silly realy. But no fart tax of yet; which for a country who's favourite dish is curry is probably a good idea...
Know your limits...Then crush them
Meekon

Post by Meekon »

A fart filter! Whatever next!? Poor cow! :o Did you know that if you leave a dead cow for long enough the methane builds up and it will eventually explode!?

Sorry not really contributing anything valuable to this discussion! Will shut up now :)
Tab

Post by Tab »

Would the Tax apply to Curry Restaurants as well.

:drinking: :drinking: :drinking: :drinking: :drinking: :drinking: :drinking: :drinking: :drinking: :drinking:
Greg S

Post by Greg S »

lol, thats classic.

Off the subject a bit - has anyone else noticed the amount of crap thats being put on the BBC to prepare us for disaster? Theres that 'Crisis Control' program plus 'Things you should worry about'.

Dont know about you lot but I'm pissed off people have to pay a TV Liscense to have this sh*t rammed down their throats!!!! Stinking scaremonger twats.
Last edited by Greg S on Wed 01 Sep, 2004 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.