Share This Page:

Religion is simply b****x

General Military Chat. New to the forums? Introduce yourself, Who are you and where are you from?
Jon

Religion is simply b****x

Post by Jon »

Its 2:50am, im not tired and very bored. So I thought id get a new topic going.

Whats everyones view on religion here?

Personally, I reckon religion is a load of bollocks. I respect the fact that people have the right to believe in whatever they want and nothing about that should be changed. What I cant understand though is why people continue to believe in god. Despite advanced scientific knowledge and theories for life, clear implausabilities in the bible and koran, etc, and absolutely no evidence that god exists or ever has, people continue to believe in god.

I reckon I can explain why people believe in god by comparing him to father christmas.

Everyone (in the west at least) is told by thier parents that on christmas day an immortal, unshaven, obese, lap-lander flies around the world on a sleigh pulled by flying raindeers, climbs down narrow chimleys and gives well-behaved children free presents - and we all believe them.

Those who come from religious familys will be taught from day one of their lives that god created everything and that when we die we either go to hell or heaven - and again we believe them.

The difference between father christmas and god is that father christmas is for kids and we grow out of it while we are told that god exists for the rest of our lives, untill we judge overwise. Basically, people believe in god because they are taught constantly that he exists and reject the notion that he does not.

Its basically down to influence - people believe what they are taught. Religion is a implanted belief and not a freely chosen belief. People born into muslim families will become muslims, people born into christian families will become chrsitian. If you get taught something enough times you accept it. Get taught it too much and you cant let go.

People who are born in muslim communities are more likely to remain religious for the rest of thier life than christians. That is why Islam is such a powerful religion today. The average christian prays once a week in church and then goes out and breaks the teachings of christ. The average Muslim prays about 5 times a day and upholds the laws of the koran.

But why does religion exist altogether? - simple. In the past people could not give sufficient explanations to why life exists and how the earth and universe is created, therefore they come to the conclusion that there must be something out there that personally created everything. Same logic is used to explain cot death, for example - poeple dont know what causes it therefore when a baby dies it is attributed to 'cot death.' I know thats a weak comparison but my point is that if someone cant explain something then they are willing to come up with anything. Some people see flashing lights in the sky at night and say that it is aliens. Same with crop circles, etc - they couldnt explain them therefore blamed them on aliens (turns out to be people with planks of wood).

Why do people turn to religion? - again it is simple. Either they have not looked at the scientific considerations and are willing to believe anything, or they are affraid of death and see relgion as something that gives them hope. They store thier religious belief in the back of thier head and do anything to protect it. Tell a priest about Darwin's Theory of Evolution (the most plausible theory yet) and the priest will comment that it is 'just a theory.'

If anything the most plausible thing is reincarnation. Im not saying that our souls drift over to a new born baby or anything spiritual like that. Life is simply electrical signals interpreted by the brain and turned into taste, touch, sound, vision and smell. Once our brain stops functioning we die. It is plausible that when someone or soemthing else is born elsewhere at a later date, our concientous (cant spell) operates as them. Ovcourse we wouldnt be aware that we had lived before because we would not be the same person or the same species. We would simply start again. Take a cicuit chip out of a computor and replace it with a new one, the computor will work again. It is possible that we have lived before many times and will live again many times more.

Anyway, rambling on about bollocks has done the trick. Im off to bed.
The Best Is Yet To Come
Frank S.

Post by Frank S. »

You just HAD to post this while I was loaded on Jack Daniel's, didn't you?

I think life would be better if people lived it according to their beliefs, be they muslims or christians, makes no difference to me.
Respect of themselves and others.
I'm agnostic I guess, meaning I'm comfortable not having answers for everything, and yet though I don't believe, I do not deny the existence of God.
Or Yaweh. Or whatever people who believe in Him decide to call Him.
I get along perfectly fine with all sorts of believers. It is doubters or closet 'deniers' I lock horns with. In other words people who don't have any sort of faith.
I refuse to say religion is bollox as long as it represents one way for people to attain faith. Because faith is hope, and without it, well...
Whitey

Post by Whitey »

John,
I figure there is a God, and I also figure man has corrupted religion. People use religion as a form of connection power at times. Sure there are wars over it, priest molesting kids, phoney prophets just trying to stuff their pockets, that is just man. So don't let the stupidity,lie's and deciet of man ruin your relationship with the great architect of the universe.
I don't never go to church, can't stand it much, but I do talk to God, even though mostly he says nothin. Sure sometimes he does, not like I'm talking to you now but in subtle ways. Don't give up on the lord bud, he won't never give up on you.
Like Frank said, your belief in God is your deal, and I'll say your relationship with him is your deal, no one elses.

I'm a Geography guy and I take alot of Earth Science and Astronomy and we got alot of not just athiest's, but God haters. More of these classes they take, the more they say he ain't real. But I believe more now than ever he is real.
Water got on the earth from comets, yeah no other planet just us. The moon was ripped from the earth and is at just the right angle and distance to help promote life here by driving the currents. We have an atmospere, same size as Venus, but we have life, all kinds of it.
I could go on and on, but there aren't any accidents.
Then there was the Middle East, I felt like there was something in that empty desert, something all over the place. I was never scared over there, just calm, calmer than ever I'd been. I figure God spends alot of time there, because people there call on him more and need him more.
Then when my son was born, I felt like I got thumped in the noggin and then a text message type phenomenon flashed through my head saying "Get your shit together and be a good father." God told me that, because I don't listen to most things or thoughts without a curse word. And he knows it. Then I go outside and no clouds and it is snowing hard, but a nice white thick snow and there was the moon. That was God saying yeah that text message in your skull was really me. So I said "Okay".
So yeah I figure there is a God, and all these folks killing the hell out of eachother in the name of God, well they got some hell to pay later. See it ain't your right to just go around killing especially saying you are doing it for the lord. You can't confuse his word with your authority. See he can kill who he wants, he is God, but if you go around killing saying it is for him, your ass is done sooner or later.
So you can talk to the lord if you want, or listen close enough and he'll talk to you. You can pray to him without going to church or even closing your eyes I'm pretty sure. I do and he listens to me, that is about the only way I talk to him.
Don't let corruption in religion split you and the man though.
My personal belief is though that when we die, we are just released balls of energy that are attracted to the lord and the good energy is going to feel good, bad folks get attacted to the evil energy and that sucks.
I don't know, ya'll can think I'm crazy, but I believe in the lord and won't go to no church. I read the bible some and the lord tells me what it means. I don't need no priest with an agenda.
Serve God and be cheerful most the time, tell him you are sorry for the malicious stuff you done and you'll be okay if you mean it, and he'll know, so don't lie.
Them liar preachers got some explaining to do someday. :D
Let them call me a rebel and I welcome it, I feel no concern from it; but I should suffer the misery of demons were I to make a whore of my soul. (Thomas Paine)
Lance

Post by Lance »

I read the Bible. It answers a lot of questions for me. Before I was all about me myself and controlling my own destiny.
Now I realise that my purpose in life is to honour and serve God. It is not easy at times but the assurance that I receive cannot be stated.
Putting my trust in God was the best thing that I have every done.
"The enemy should be in no doubt that we are his nemesis and that we are bringing about his rightful destruction."
Lieutenant Colonel Tim Collins
lew

Post by lew »

hmmm religion.

How many times have I argued with people over this subject, both here and when out, more times than I can remember I guess.

The fact remains for me at least is that god is just another story, a good one I will admit, the bible is probably the most popular book ever written. However I cannot believe in god, it goes against my nature, nor do I believe in fate, I don’t find the thought of being watched or "looked over" comforting, I actually find it eerie.

I look at life as an accident, there is no way that if there was a god the wars and atrocities that go on in the world would still happen. We just have to make do as best we can.

I do think that some people need religion, it seems to be something that gives them strength, something to hold onto, and that cant is a bad thing, can it?

Much of religion is now exploited as whitey says, we have extremists here, and radical terror groups fighting jihads there, I do not believe that these are religious, they are smart, motivated and business minded people who know how to exploit the relatively dumb peasant peoples of the middle east.

Religion is something I personally think is out dated and could be let go of in western society and it slowly is. But we will never see the death of religion; it’s just a case of having to live with it.

lew
All I want in life is a cold beer, a fast car, a big F**King gun and a hot woman to fetch the beer, and clean the car! is that really to much to ask? - Quotes by a redneck.com

recruit test 21 march - PASSED
medical 30 march - PASSED
interview 30 march - PASSED
PJFT - 11 april - PASSED 9:18
PRMC - 7th - 10th JUNE. PASSED
foundation - 29th August
Artist

Post by Artist »

It's what you want it to be.

Me? had a phase of looking for something to believe in and was Non to happy with the answers the Bible and Vicars gave me. I now just go through the motions. A wedding, I will attend, A Funeral, I will attend.

None of my kids were Christened and they seem to have turned out allright.

Artist
Maroon

Post by Maroon »

We can all say we don't believe in god or a god but ultimately at some point on your life either when some one close is dying or you are in a life threatening situation I bet you've said 'Please if there is one, help me now' I know I have!!
"Every man an Emperor!"
Ploggers

Post by Ploggers »

A great non controversial topic to start my day's postings!

Religion, according to the dictionary there are several definitions;

A belief in and reverence for a supernatural power or powers regarded as creator and governor of the universe.
A personal or institutionalized system grounded in such belief and worship. The life or condition of a person in a religious order.
A set of beliefs, values, and practices based on the teachings of a spiritual leader.
A cause, principle, or activity pursued with zeal or conscientious devotion.

So, do I believe in God. I think that the truthful answer for the majority of people, me included, is 'I don't know'. I would like to believe there is because then all of the good bits fall into place. The afterlife, reunions with deceased family and friends, everlasting happiness etc etc. My cynical side finds it hard to accept that a man in a dress who lived with 12 other men in dresses and preached that all men should love each other, should determine the path of my existence. Besides it sounds a little iffy to me :o Also they all had beards which doesn't put my mind at rest.

As for the big version of God; I sometimes wonder how intelligent people can believe this stuff. Having attended a catholic abuse centre - I mean catholic school, I understand brainwashing. Has anyone read the catechism recently? http://www.proecclesia.com/penny%20catechism

As a six year old I knew this shit word for word and understood few of them. Having is drummed into me twice a day from the age of four saw to that. The one important lesson I learned from the school was that whenever you posed an awkward question to the Priest/Nun teacher, the answer was always that it is a matter of faith and if you do not have faith you are a very bad person who will be condemned to the bowels of hell for eternity. You have to admire their skill at turning an argument round to the questioner!

On the positive side, the 10 commandments are not a bad set of principles to teach a child and the church does build community spirit.

I hope it's true and there is a god but its a hope more than a belief.
martin1001

Post by martin1001 »

Santas real name is St. Niklas and he came from a country in the east, a country which is now a muslim country, Turkey!

The Muslims also believe in him as do the christian beliefs.

I was christened 2 years ago at thirty, I have served in a christian army, went to church parades and my oath is to the queen and to god, as my queen is head of the anglican church.

To lead a christian way of life is, for me, an honourable and decent way to live - a bit like a boy scout if you want and if, at the end of days, there is no god - what have I lost apart from a bit of friendliness and helpfulness?
Train hard - fight easy, drink lots - fall over
bigbart

Post by bigbart »

I don't follow any kind of religion. I believe there is a god of some kind, but I don't read the bible or go to church. People get comfort from religion, and that's fine by me. What I don't like is people trying to force their opinions down your throat, for example, Jehoves witnesses who like to stick their foot in your door and tell you that blood transfusions are wrong. This kind of hassle from these f@#%ed up tw*ts is worse than salesmen, junk mail and spam.
And extremists? What's that all about? Where abouts in the qu'ran does it tell muslims to kill Americans and other "infidel?" Maybe it doesn't say that at all. Maybe it was some arse in a turban who has decided that he is the next mohammed. It's all bollox. They need to sit down and think about it. Does Allah really reward mass murderers? Would a good god do that? Stupid c@#&s. Are they really so gullible?
Anyway, I'm rambling now. My point is, believe what you want to believe. Just don't force it upon everyone else by harrassing them or using violence.
"Some day a real rain will come and wash all the scum off the streets..."
Jason The Argonaut

Post by Jason The Argonaut »

Whitey wrote:I also figure man has corrupted religion. People use religion as a form of connection power at times.
I agree Whitey, so many regimes of the past have hijacked some form of religion to further there course or power.

I my self went to St. Michael's C.E Primary School, so I have learnt about god. I mean I never really took to it, we had to go to church once in a while. But me and many of my friends just put up, until we left.

Each to there own :D
Maroon wrote:We can all say we don't believe in god or a god but ultimately at some point on your life either when some one close is dying or you are in a life threatening situation I bet you've said 'Please if there is one, help me now' I know I have !!
Me to :roll:
I fight for my corner and secondly I leave when the pub closes. - Winston Churchill [img]http://www.world-of-smilies.de/html/images/smilies/teufel/smilie_vampire.gif[/img]
gradnojob

Post by gradnojob »

I would have to point out that the original poster's view that islam is a stronger religion because muslims pray five times a day and then go out and uphold the laws of the koran is not excactly true. Im sure most do pray five times a day but the subjegation of women in society, intolerance of other religions and societies, the movement of "martyrism" and a anti-educational/scientific outlook are NOT the core values of the Koran, in fact, quite the opposite.

The Koran, like the Bible, makes for a good read, but quite often, the religions that claim to be based on these books teachings are simply crude and twisted forms of the original. Usually so altered by the people who run societies based on and controlled by these religions find it easier to control people. i.e. the ayatollahs of Iran's theocracy. Also Christian religions are not free of guilt on this charge. i.e. the torturers of the Inquisition. Also more recently, the Watchtower Society (Jehova's Witnesses) which if one looks into the cult more closely is a huge abuser of its members and serves as a very large money making scheme for those in charge.

Ultimately I see no difference between 'modern' religions and those beliefs in 'Animism' (tree, water spiritsetc.) that can be found in small scale societies. In fact, there is something slighterly more appealing in such basic belief systems as they havn't been corrupted so much for a few mens benefit.

It is a huge divider in the world, most modern coflicts have a lot to do with religion and the ethnicity it implies. Northern Ireland (protestant/catholics), The Sudan (Muslims(raping and stealing by the way, but im sure they still pray everyday)/Christians), The former Yugoslavia (Orthadox Christians, Muslims etc etc.) Iraq, Iran in fact the whole region (Sunni Muslims/ Shi'ite Muslims).

Religion is a control mechanism. Like Marx said "the opium of the people". There is no need for it it a free and modern society, other than a social and moral crutch for the weak of mind.

Uummmm, anyway cheers.
Scottish Thistle

Post by Scottish Thistle »

I'm fascinated in religion and what makes people believe what they do but I'm a firm non believer. I really respect people's beliefs and would never ram my non believing thoughts down their throats but its just not for me.

I suppose the biggest question I would have is the level of suffering in the world. I myself have a physically disabled child and the condition he has is a horrible, life limiting. painful one so I suppose I'd never understand why a 2 year old would have to suffer so much if there was a god.
Live well - laugh often - love much

Post by Guest »

Maroon wrote:We can all say we don't believe in god or a god but ultimately at some point on your life either when some one close is dying or you are in a life threatening situation I bet you've said 'Please if there is one, help me now' I know I have!!
Each to their own but it has been said on many an occasion that even in battle the non-believer has been known to ask for salvation.

Post by Guest »

Interesting posts but look at society nowadays, where religion doesnt play a part as much as it used to, are we honestly better off?

All I see these days is drunken yobbery, loutishness, kids starting drugs and sex from age 14, nooone seems to have any morals or values anymore. We're materially a lot better off than we used to be but at what price?

People might laugh at the Ten Commandments but noone can doubt their moral value. Maybe the "good old days" really were better...