Share This Page:

Travel Within The Regiment??

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Air Force.
wannabe_bootneck

Travel Within The Regiment??

Post by wannabe_bootneck »

Right fellas in the know, what are the travel opportunities within the RAF Reg? I know they deploy to trouble spots with the rest of the RAF. But on exercise or training etc. do they regularily travel to foreign countries like the Royals are going to California & then Caribbean for some exercises with USMC?
Per Ardua
Rockape

Post by Rockape »

There are lots of overseas exercises that the RAF Regt do. For example, last October, II Sqn went to Belize for 6 weeks. 1 Sqn have recently been to Norway for arctic training, and there are a couple of Sqns going to Cyprus soon.

A couple of years ago, II Sqn conducted a major training exercise in Sierra Leone, which included parachuting in at the end of an 8 hour or so C-130 flight from the UK, something neither the Paras or RM conducted during their time in-country.
rafregtgunner

Post by rafregtgunner »

two months in Kenya staying in 5 star hotels. What more can I say!!
I loved OP RAMSON!!
Des

Post by Des »

You would probably travel more in the Marines. But a friend of mine used to be in the Navy and he left after a couple of years. He found being at sea for long periods very boring. So you might get the chance to do a lot of adventureous things in the Marines but you will also be spending a lot of time on ships. Whereas in the RAF Regiment you go to fewer places but get to experince them more. Arctic training has always being considered a Royal Marines thing. Desert was the location everyone associates with the Armoured Brigades (8th Army). Or even the French Foreign Legion. And the jungles you think of the Gurkas. But it appears in the RAF Regiment you get the chance to work in all these places. In the normal Infantry you can do all that. But you will only get the chance to do infantry things. Where as the Rocks seem to specialize in all forms of soldering. Rapier/Armoured/Infantry & Airborne
RobT

Post by RobT »

You thinking of going in then Des?
Des

Post by Des »

No I'm far too old now. I always fancied joining the Paras. But I joined the ATC as a kid and found out about the RAF Regiment. To say that not much was known about the Regiment in those days was an understatement. The RAF never exactly promoted the Rock apes much. Even the staff who worked at the local RAF Careers didnt know too much about them. I went to Gibralter with the cadets. I always thought the Regiment had strong history with the place. But there was only two Rocks on the whole base. An officer who we never even got to see. And a sergeant who took us on the range. He was a good bloke though. Mind you he would have to been if the Dagos wanted to invade the Rock which the airbase and the runway seem to take up most of the place. There was a lot at RAF Halton. But everyone seemed to scared to even talk to them and that includes the RAF Police.
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

A guy i know in the regiment was in Iraq at the start of the war, then came back and went to Belize for 6weeks and has now gone back to Iraq.

Life in the refiment is very busy.
RobT

Post by RobT »

II squadron fella then is he MikeB ?

Rob
wannabe_bootneck

Post by wannabe_bootneck »

RobT, just wondering mate, you were a TA PARA right? How com, when going full time you aren't pursuing Para Reg? Did something put you off them?I'm interested in your reasons as I am trying to determine which forces career to pursue. The irony is, although my name is wannabee_bootneck, I no longer wanna join Rm, it's Rockape or Para!
RobT

Post by RobT »

wannabe_bootneck wrote:RobT, just wondering mate, you were a TA PARA right? How com, when going full time you aren't pursuing Para Reg? Did something put you off them?I'm interested in your reasons as I am trying to determine which forces career to pursue. The irony is, although my name is wannabee_bootneck, I no longer wanna join Rm, it's Rockape or Para!
I wasn't TA para, TA Infantry i am. I have a Mate who is Ex 2Para who tries his hardest to convince me to Para Reg but i'd rather go RAF Reg, earn more, better accomadation.

PM some of the Serving Blokes on this website, they'll help you decide.

:angel:
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

RobT wrote:II squadron fella then is he MikeB ?

Rob
not sure Rob, he's my neighbours ex boyfriend. But they keep in touch.

And according to them he's really busy with the regiment.
seandrs

Post by seandrs »

I know a lad in II squadron, and he seems to spend most of his time away. He went to Belize, was in Iraq at the start of the war and is now back out in Basra. He loves it and what he has told me has reinforced my ideas of joining the RAF Regiment!
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

Rob T spoke to me neghbour and she is writing him a letter and you have to put their squadron number on the envelope so yes he is in II sqn. who are based in Basra at the moment, i believe they assulted the international airport at the start of the war however they were told to wear US issue DPM i guess to stop them from recieving friendly fire.

Which also means that the Reg. can be used as assaulting troops.

sorry for my piss poor spelling, everything is fuzzy today as got majorly wrecked lastnight. :drinking:
PGAC - Complete

TG Course - 17th October
RobT

Post by RobT »

Nice one mike, some good info there, cheers.

Rob