Share This Page:

Pongo's Trying to Poach the Corps

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Marines.
Contractor

Post by Contractor »

:P

Cheers mate.
Artist

Post by Artist »

Contractor

I do so hope your tongue was well inserted into your cheek when you wrote what you wrote.

See you on the 22nd

Artist
Contractor

Post by Contractor »

Artist, surprised you had to ask mate :D

See you on the 22nd :drinking:
friendlyfireaintfriendly

Post by friendlyfireaintfriendly »

ww2 era rpg7s? jesus christ no wonder the russians won the war lol :D
Doc

Post by Doc »

As an ex-matelot who served attached to the Marines and the Army (59 Cdo), coming from an army family history and from a Garrison town of Brecon, I would like to throw my two pennies worth in here.

I sincerely hope Perc never gets its hands on the Corps. Its part of the Navy.
What would they do with HMS Ocean, rotate infantry regiments alongside the Marine Units?
As for combining Para Regt and the Corps then Id like to see some stats on how many Paras are commando trained as quite a few marines are para trained. Would you combine training or have seperate units under one umbrella?
Be a sad day for the Corps if Perc got its unwashed hands on it. Be a very sad day for the Navy aswell. I enjoyed my time with Royal and the Green lidded Perc both in equality it must be said, but when with 59 and I bumped into other army units even 59 didnt like to mix. The army and the Marines are different beasts with different outlooks, history and ways of doing things.
Leave the Army to do what they do, the Marines to do what they do and all accept that we all belong to the service of the crown and whenever the crap hits the fan (not that fan Tab) we are all at the top of the worlds armed forces.
I just wish that one day a goverment will look at what the armed forces does whilst being vastly overstretched and ill equiped, and what all the cost cutter measures have achieved, a demoralised and undermanned armed forces.
JR

Post by JR »

:wink: Nice one 'doc' Oh dispenser of prophylactics and the curer of all things nasty?.One just for you,the mecca of all tiffy's.Aye JR
Who needs the World as your Oyster,When you've had the world as your cap Badge
Doc

Post by Doc »

errrrrrr Haslar, domain of squeaky shoes and all things smelling of disinfectant!
Havent got one of RNH Plymouth have you JR, I was one the lucky few who got to train down there (having said that most of the "training" was done in the Office Public House next to the main gate)
Gen dit about Docs and RNH Plymouth (Stonehouse):
When I was in my ward whites and my duties under training amounted to checking blood pressures and sloshing out urine bottles, every day an elderly chap would hang around the main gate. I forget his name but he was part of the furniture so to speak. For years this went on and everyone who ever served there knew of him. he was stood there one day leant against the wall and seemed rather grumpy. Everyone said the usual "good morning" etc, even I said Hi on the way back from a run around Devonport with the lads from RMB.
So anyway whilst on duty in casualty, in comes Nursey with a glum look about her, "whats up?" I enquire, trying to look cool and all knowing and expecting her to drop her knickers and raise her apron just in my meer presence. "You know that guy who leans against the wall by the main gate every day..............well hes dead and apparantly has been for two days!!"
no wonder the grumpy get didnt say Hi back I thought.
So remember all you lads about to join up , if your stood outside a Naval Hospital and feeling slightly dead, make sure to mention it because the hundreds of medical staff that passed him over those two days didnt have a clue!
Still pity RNH has gone, good draft that and only 2 mins from Union Strasse.
Cav-Lad

Post by Cav-Lad »

Haslar, now that brings back memories. Had a delicate operation there a few years back, which put an end to my sex life for a while.

Cav-Lad
JR

Post by JR »

:wink: Here Ya go doc,RNH Plymouth,And a mighty fine mender of broken bones,and the best dart players in the business with Hypo needles.Aye jr :P
Who needs the World as your Oyster,When you've had the world as your cap Badge
Andy O'Pray

Post by Andy O'Pray »

Talking of RNH Plymouth, some of the older guys may remember Capt Pugh. orthopedic surgeon. He was affectionately known to Royal as PUG-H and he thought that the sun shone out of Royal's ass.

Years before when PUG-H was a Lt Cmdr he smoked like a chimney. I was up visiting an oppo who had broken his ankle. While doing his rounds PUG-H told the sister to undo the dressing on a young matelot's leg. With cigarette in his mouth PUG-H examined the wound. The sister takes PUG-H to the side and told him how unhygenic it was to smoke over an open wound, to which PUG-H replied: "Sister, the ash on this cigarette is more sterile than you are".

Thank goodness PUG-H was still there after I got wounded.

Aye - Andy.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Thanks JR mate. Your bringing back good memories! :P

Now your rash results are back and.................................... :o
Artist

Post by Artist »

Andy

Different bloke to the one I met. A SurgeonCommander later Captain Bertram RN, had the bedside manner of anaglipta wallpaper.

The patient didnt exist when he was telling the "Mob" what he was going to do to the patient. I'm going to slice him here, there, everwhere! If you said anything during his talk he would just look at you as if you were an unnecessary extra. And just carry on with his description of how he was going to repair you. Saying that mind he had me up and about Toot Sweet.

Met up with the Gentleman twice. First time 100 per cent fixed. Second time not quite. But I'm still here.

Artist
Andy O'Pray

Post by Andy O'Pray »

Steve, I remember Bertram. He was the Chief Orthopedic Surgeon when I was in. An excellent surgeon, but as you say, the bedside manner of Saddam Hussein. Surgeon Captain PUG-H was still the Chief Administrator, but Bertram was the chief cutting man. Because I dared to complain to the Surgeon Admiral, Bertram made sure that I got no sick leave. The calipre no sooner came off and I was the expeditionary instructor at HMS Ganges, not having walked under my own steam in 9 months.

Aye - Andy. :roll:
Artist

Post by Artist »

As I told you Andy he sent me back to 40's rear party. 5 days later back in RNH. Bas*ard of a man he was. When I came under him again the git remembered me!

But they sent me to RAF Chessington after a couple of days and later to Haslar................. thank God!

Artist
Doc

Post by Doc »

Just discovered by Mrs Doc on the Liverpool FC fan club site, we´ve tried to watch the video but its a large download and very jumpy, funny in places though.

AN Army bid to outdo their Navy commando rivals has been shelved - after an experiment went disastrously wrong.

Top brass had hoped to equal the Royal Marines' expertise by developing their own amphibious warfare unit.

But troops used in the mock beach landing were more SOS than SBS - Special Boat Service - when they needed rescuing after sinking to their waists in liquid mud.

These pictures - captured by a squaddie filming the hapless operation - show the extent of the flop. It is thought senior officers ordered the trials in southern Iraq after seeing the marines dominate headlines.

Their humiliation was complete when the soldiers - from 40 Regiment, Royal Artillery, based at Topcliffe, North Yorks - collapsed laughing when it went so wrong. They got the giggles as the lifejackets of two men stuck in mud inflated by accident.

In the video, one joking soldier even tries a few crawl strokes to try to get out. The footage was sent across the armed forces by email.

It had the Chumbawumba song Tub Thumping dubbed on as a soundtrack with the words, "I get knocked down, then I get up again," blaring out.

Not surprisingly, those who enjoyed watching it the most were Royal Marines commandos.

One marine sergeant said: "I don't think we've got much to worry about, do you? They really should leave this sort of thing to the experts. I don't think we need we say anymore."

The shambles, blamed on poor beach reconnaissance, took place on the Al Faw peninsula, where the troops have now ended a five-month tour of duty.

Army chiefs have since stopped the trials. An official said: "I don't believe we'll be doing any more."

http://images.icnetwork.co.uk/docs/Mirr ... FA0000.mpg (its 28meg)