Share This Page:

Advice on Tabbing

General discussions on joining & training in The Parachute Regiment.
pezmod

Advice on Tabbing

Post by pezmod »

Im currently serving in the RE and want to do P Coy and I am 100% commited. I know my fitness is not up to scratch (BFT time around 9:45) and I am getting on abit as I have just turned 30. And to make matters worse I'm about 2 stone overweight.

But I have been fit in the past and I do have the determination to do this.So I have given myself ayear to get myself as fit as I can for it.

I've spent the last couple of weeks searching websites and reading books referance training programs. Now they all look pretty simple and I'm confident I can keep up with the shedules. In till that is the Tabbing.

They all say the same thing (NO RUNNING) and then expect you to do 10 miles in 2 hours, or 6 miles in 1 hour 15 mins. And even better 1 mile ever 10 minutes. Now I know the people who divised these programs know what they are on about but how can you expect to cover these distances in these times without doubleing.

Surely when you do the 10 miler in 1 hour 50 minutes or the 20 miler on P Company then you have to run. If not then I dont stand a chance because tabbing that fast is beyond a 30 yearold Sapper like me.

And that reminds me. Is 30 considered to old to do P Company.

Any replys, advice would be realy app :-? riciated.
Tankyou
adj125

Post by adj125 »

lean forward, swing hips try to increase your stride it can be done with out runing but if your at the back of the squad you will end up playing catch up alot.
Your age shouldnt make a difference if you have the determination to do it My BFT time was more than yours when i was 18 and attempted p coy.
9Sqn will get you fit on the beat up first and will only send you to do p coy when they think you will pass it
Ex RE 1986 till 1997
Twenty One

Post by Twenty One »

First of all Pezmod, Take three steps backward from the table, that should prevent you from eating a lot of food for a start.Get on the road and cross country running,push yourself hard at all times,get more gym work in,if you can swim do it it is good for stamina building.Oh and by the way, your as old as you feel.Determination to pass "P" Company goes a long way to winning,I did "P" Company in 64 when there was no exciting fitness equipment around,just Bergan on back, head down and a**e up.Aldershot,Ash Vale, North Camp, Farnborough,well trampled by the old DMS boots. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Dissent Protects Democracy,Gezza Brek!
Contractor

Post by Contractor »

Good age 30 to attempt P Coy I would have thought. Greater stamina than when you were younger and the determination that comes with age.

Just think Pezmod, shift that excess 2 stone and you will be tabbing with nearly 30 lb less weight, will be a walk in the park for you mate :wink: (if you could ever describe P Coy as a walk in the park :D )
para

Post by para »

No running is bollocks....."prepare to quick march!"...."QUICKMARCH!!!"........................................................................................................................"prepare to double.....DOUBLE!!!" thats how we've been doing it for the last 12 weeks, if your at the back then your near enough doubling all the time anyway. I got p-coy in 7 weeks.
Tab

Post by Tab »

The best thing you can do mate is lose that twostone and get as fit as possible. When you work out the weight of your pack and your weapon
plus some other bits of kit you have carry, another 28lbs of fat at the age 30 is going to make it hard going.
pezmod

Post by pezmod »

Cheers lads for your replies. I was looking for some resurance and motivation and you've given me that. I've spoken to people in the past who have done P Coy and they have all said you run most of the way anyway.
This will suit me because I find it alot easier to double than quick march anyday. I test myself afew weeks ago carrying 45lbs (to compicate helmet & weapon) with boots on over hilly ground and complited 6 miles in just over a hour. I ran nearly the whole way but bearing in mind I am over weight and havent even started to train yet I'm quite happy with that.

I've never really had trouble carrying weight. I use to be in the Infantry and always came at the front on the 2 milers and never really broke sweat on the CFT's. But I have let myself go over the last 2 years and it was the biggest mistake of my life which I regret as fitness was always important to me.

Its just that all the books I have read have all said dont run. And I cant walk that fast even without weight on. But sod it I'll just run at the back.

Anyway thanks lads. :)
pezmod

Post by pezmod »

JUST ONE FOR YOU CONTRACTOR. You said if I could shed 2 stone it would be like running with a 28lb bergen one your back then suddenly taking it off and running that way.
Surely its not as simple as that. I mean if it was that would be great, loose that weight and I would be flying. So I hope what you say is true because that as boosted my confidance more than anything.
Contractor

Post by Contractor »

pezmod, a common method as you probably know for preparing yourself for P Coy or All Arms Cdo Course is to train with CEFO filled with sand at nearly the excess weight you say you are currently carrying. Therefore, visualize the difference of doing that training without the CEFO around your hips and waist - piece of cake in comparison (no pun on food intended) :D

Good luck with your training and P Coy
pezmod

Post by pezmod »

THANKS