Share This Page:

Blue on Blue

General Military Chat. New to the forums? Introduce yourself, Who are you and where are you from?
rabby

Blue on Blue

Post by rabby »

Read in the paper today about the on-going situation with so-called "friendly" fire, most notably from the Yanks, after they bombed a British APC in the last Gulf War. If we are going to battle Saddam, shouldn't protect ourselves from the Amercicans first?

The planes have radar warnings to stop such incidents, shouldn't ground forces demand the same? Okay they have tiny 1 inch strips of refecltive paper, but in a firefight men dont go looking at the enemy's arms do they? Our tanks and armour also have similar systems, but they weren't much much use last time were they?
There are 3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.
voodoo sprout

Post by voodoo sprout »

I think one of three things is goin to happen.
1) Our blokes stick near to Americans, taking advantage of their IFF equipment. Most likely.
2) Our blokes pinch surplus sets off the Americans. Very likely, but probably not on a large scale so much as the odd crafty bugger with quick fingers.
3) Our blokes get fired on by friendlies with alarming frequency/accuracy. Very likely in some circumstances, though I expect the battle plan will be modified to accomodate our stone age technology (ie: where there is a great FF risk, IFF equiped Americans get the job)

But I was very annoyed at the armed forces minister dodging the question on channel 4 recently. Asked directly whether our troops would be equipped with IFF, he went on about how "we are takng measures to protect against this", which a chimp could read as "we're not bloody paying for that" :x
Falkens

Post by Falkens »

I have heard a few stories on blue on blues from the americans. I do wonder how many cases there have been from the yanks due to the lack of identification?
Can't we have small beacons which eminate a signal like a transponder? I don't think it would be that hard...
Topper

Post by Topper »

How about we just leave the fighting to the Yanks, that way they can do whatever they like to themselves and the Iraqis without anyone in the way.
North Sea Tigress

Post by North Sea Tigress »

Top idea! I'll vote for that plan!!
God made Royal Marines, to provide QARNNS with playthings
Falkens

Post by Falkens »

Surely most of the towns we will be entering will be abandoned. Hence send in the Royal Artillery and the big 30 pounders. I believe we have such a force that the republican guard rag heads will be runing away. Perhaps the yanks should go in first, it's only right.
Topper

Post by Topper »

Why dont you send in the Yanks with a big quarter pounder with cheese? :o
Sisyphus

Post by Sisyphus »

No good, they're BSE- free.
qcnr

Post by qcnr »

By the time anyone goes in Korea will have nuked us all anyway :lol: :lol:
Every meal a banquet, every paypacket a fortune...
wilson

Post by wilson »

In that case, can I have the 1/4 with cheese :lol:

Aye,
wilson
The only thing that stops your body before you pass out is your mind. Never give in!
leroy8541

Post by leroy8541 »

I agree with Topper, leave the fighting to the yanks. The Blokes are to slow and get in the way, you guys can stay in kuwait and run the tavern for the yanks when they get done, keep the beer cold.
Friendly fire ain't so friendly when you are on the recieving end!! Friendly fire what an oxy-moron kind of like military intelligence.
there have been numerous cases of blue on blue. one case was while in G.W. I, we were in some little town in the north when the Iraqi's were probing the lines the egytptians started a fight we had a small contingent of U.S. marines there for observation, someone called in an air-strike the planes bombed one of our am-tracs and killed 11 of my bros, I had to watch them cook inside that Am-trac. I can still see their faces in my dreams, so much for mental health. Thats all I have to say about that.
someone asked on another thread what has the U.S. ever done that has benefited the world? The quarter pounder with cheese of course!!
better to burn out, than fade away
leroy8541

Post by leroy8541 »

Now on a serious note. I think the best way to avoid FF would be more joint training with the U.S. and whomever we are going to be united with during any conflict. That way each force could more readily identify each other with out having to research who is where, and what our "friendly's look like. More education is the key benefactor. I don't know who all has been in a firefight but when the crap hits the fan, if they aren't dressed like you and aren't carrying the same weapons or weapons that you can readily identify then they are the enemy! and god forbid the troop that picks up a soviet block weapon and fires it, the A-k 47 and 72 makes a distinct report which WILL draw fire from a U.S. Marine. My point being we need to educate the troops on what our allies look like, I think a night or two on the town on a joint beer drinking task would be the answer. as for the Air Force and jet jockeys, I don't know we are scared of them too!
they are a bunch of idiots just looking for a place to drop their load so they can go back to the base and drink coffee. We have learned one phrase that helps "Please check your fire so we can pick up our dead you idiots"
rabby

Post by rabby »

leroy8541 wrote: I think the best way to avoid FF would be more joint training with the U.S. and whomever we are going to be united with during any conflict.
We already do train alot with the US. In case of the fighter pilots, its nearly every day. But the problem is, when the American Generals allow their pilots to take speed, it defeats the purpose since they are going to act differently on the day. As you would put it Leroy, speed is for pussies. If the yank pilots can't handle the pressure then get them out, they're a danger to us all.
There are 3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.
leroy8541

Post by leroy8541 »

you have a very interesting point there rabby what the hell are those idiots doing taking drugs while using 1000 lb bombs! I just heard about that myself as i stated before I am scared of them myself!! And to think they put me in jail for drinking a pint whilst driving my pickup truck!! I have issues with our policies too.
Topper

Post by Topper »

Can i ask, where did this story about the USAF and speed taking come from?