Share This Page:

What age on average are the people in Special Forces?

General discussions on joining & training within Special Forces.
Geoff

Post by Geoff »

20-25
25-30
30-35
35-40
40+

thanks.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

what is the latest age u can attempt the selection training.
hawkeye

Post by hawkeye »

i was 21 when i went for my selection training but you have to do at least 3 yrs. i did and loved it now i civvie street i find it hard. alot harder than my training was as no one has motorvation or pride.
i did 9 yrs yrs in total. and make a living being a h.g.v driver
i hope that answer's your ?'s
Deniable_Operative

Post by Deniable_Operative »

The latest age you can join The Army is 26. And you have to have had 3 years experience in the regular army before being allowed to try for selection.

That's all i can tell you at this time.
df2inaus

SAS entry requirements

Post by df2inaus »

The latest age you can join The Army is 26. And you have to have had 3 years experience in the regular army before being allowed to try for selection.
If my memory is correct, Michael Asher and Chris Ryan's books say that Ryan entered 22 SAS from the TA directly. Then BTZ says that Ryan had been in the Paras after the TA before attempting selection so that he met the regular service requirements. Who's telling the truth?
"Poor Ike, it won't be a bit like the Army. He'll find it very frustrating. He'll sit here and he'll say, 'Do this! Do that!' And nothing will happen."
Harry Truman
joe

Post by joe »

If you go the route that Ryan went, which was from the TA straight into the Regulars, it means that you don't have a "parent" Regiment. When Ryan passed selection for 22, he went and did the normal Army recruit training as you have to have a parent regiment. That training was sponsored by the Para Reg - hence why McNab mentions the Parachute Regiment in his book. No mystery, lies or half-truths here I'm afraid
df2inaus

Route to 22 SAS

Post by df2inaus »

Never meant to imply there was some sort of conspiracy :) just wasn't sure on what had happened. Makes sense now-cheers.
"Poor Ike, it won't be a bit like the Army. He'll find it very frustrating. He'll sit here and he'll say, 'Do this! Do that!' And nothing will happen."
Harry Truman
Deniable_Operative

Post by Deniable_Operative »

Some people in the regiment initially gave Chris Ryan a bit of stick about joining "through the back door", but that kind of thing soon dies down when people realise you have the same skills and training, people just get to that point from different angles.

There will always be exceptions and cases outside the normal.
gf0012-aust

Post by gf0012-aust »

Ave age for an Oz SASr is about 32yoa
Aldo

Post by Aldo »

Hi gf. Are you the same gf as on strategy page? If so it's RM-Nod here (to all you on this site I know I'm not a nod but it was the best I could come up with at the time, I'm very dull you see :P ) Anyway nice to have you onboard.
"This far and no further" - Britain, World War 1 & 2
gf0012-aust

Post by gf0012-aust »

Aldo wrote:Hi gf. Are you the same gf as on strategy page? If so it's RM-Nod here (to all you on this site I know I'm not a nod but it was the best I could come up with at the time, I'm very dull you see :P ) Anyway nice to have you onboard.
Howdy Nod, :) Interesting nic "aldo", makes you sound like one of the "super mario bros".

Good to see normal people on here. :D
Last edited by gf0012-aust on Sat 27 Dec, 2003 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aldo

Post by Aldo »

Good to see normal people on here.
Aye it is that, though there are a few that have some odd tendancies... I won't say a thing :D

I like the few odd balls we get on strategy pages, it's fun to have a bit of a pointless debate, keeps the knife sharp so to speak.

Oh and Aldo is my real name, short for Alderson :x mario brothers indeed! Well at least I live in a country that can play rugby 8) only joking, just about being mad at the name thing not the rugby :D
"This far and no further" - Britain, World War 1 & 2
tyke172

Post by tyke172 »

I read today that the SAS are looking for more younger recuits because the regiments full of old gits and no fresh blood.......it was in the News Of The World so it's likely to be shite!