Share This Page:

More Royal Marines get parachute trained then a Paratrooper?

Discussions about those units who make up The Parachute Regiment.
Richard

More Royal Marines get parachute trained then a Paratrooper?

Post by Richard »

There is a little debate going on in another forum. Its on www.prmc.co.uk and the tittle is listed as Parachute. They are claiming that the Marines have more parachute trained soldiers and that the Paras are just airborne soldiers, can someone explain that to me please, i cant defend myself on that website because they will defend that statement..
Paratrooper01

Post by Paratrooper01 »

What a ridiculous argument. Why do you think we are called the PARACHUTE regiment? EVERY Paratrooper in a Para Battalion has either got his wings or is waiting to go to Brize to do the course as a matter of basic requirements.

It is not a basic requirement of a Royal Marine to be Parachute qualified...its a Brucey bonus if they can get it.
Utrinque Paratus - READY FOR ANYTHING!
Richard

Post by Richard »

I totally agree with you mate. Could you make yourself present on the website and prove their fact. I asked the admin who mentioned it here is the answer.

"Since they stopped para training in the Regiment, there are now more Royal Marines with their wings than paras...admittedly, some haven't jumped in a while!"

The source is reliable..

Not too sure what he is getting at but this conversation in the topic carrys on.
Thx.
Richard

Post by Richard »

Im not trying to cause a riot! i just know they are wrong and i cant defend my statement!
Paratrooper01

Post by Paratrooper01 »

Richard wrote:Could you make yourself present on the website and prove their fact
No. :D

I dunno what any of the bootnecks on here think of this, but it sounds like a wind up.
timex

Post by timex »

Sounds like a wind up to me, I did the Para course in 78 and to be honest the course was about 50 % RM/Para mix. I would imagine that it was probably not the norm.

As to how many RM do the course now is anyones guess, we still have about 40-50 in each Cdo Unit who are trained, also the M&AW cadre guys (about 20-30 per year). On top of those we have the guys from SF be it Poole or Hereford and then finally BPT.

The other point to note would be that for some reason the RM seem to get most of the vacancies that can't be filled by the above and Para Regt.
timex

Post by timex »

Richard, just looked at that thread, whats being said is not actually wrong, re-read it.
Shoulderholster

Post by Shoulderholster »

Richerd
I didn't know that site existed,and having a quick look on it,it seems as if a few lads are going to have a bit of a reality check when they get to Lympstone.
The author of that Thread was on this site for a while,I don't know if he has mentioned it on that site, but he's a 'non hacker' and packed in training whilst at CTC,(I later saw him on a Serbian airborne site claiming to have been a trained Bootneck).
Some of the blokes on here that are serving Marines will be able to tell you more on the numbers of para trained ranks.
When I was in (75 - 82) total number of para trained ranks was around 12-13%,(thats out of around 6000 blokes) many hadn't jumped for years.
The people who will get the course are MLs,and lads in Recce Troop,any other spare places will get dished out amongst the fighting companies and a few Sigs Troop lads.SBS is now an entirely different thing(unfortunately),so I wouldn't include those numbers onto the total of Para Trained Marines.
Hopefully one of the more current lads will be able to tell you more.

SH
Tab

Post by Tab »

It is an easy statement to make but there are figures to support this work of fiction
Rogue Chef

Post by Rogue Chef »

I've heard that story as well (many years ago), but the figures don't add up.

I know there are other factors to be considered, but there are three Para Reg battalions (approx 2,000 men), there are also Paras in training establishments and other places.
I am reasonably certain that there are not over 2,000 RMs who are para trained, although we do jump with more panache!
timex

Post by timex »

And we use the proper door, none of that side door stuff.......
Doc

Post by Doc »

Out of pure curiosity how many Paras are commando trained? (not a wind up, just interest) I remember a cover of soldier magazine many moons ago showing a para sgt with a green lid, I think he was DS at CTC for a wee bit.
Paratrooper01

Post by Paratrooper01 »

There are a couple. but its mainly blokes who have done times in the RM and for whatever reason decide to transfer over to Para reg.

Its very rare for guys to tip up to the platoon office on a monday morning and ask to do the Commando course, if not unheard of. There is simply no reason for anyone doing it.
HCR

Post by HCR »

Even we use to have a number of lads who have done both. One unfortunately was killed in an accident not so long ago. We cant do the Commando Cse anymore, that role as gone to the Queens Dragoon Guards (Welsh Cavalry) but we have loads who are Para trained. And even more who have done P Coy. But are finding it a nightmare to get on there Jumps cse. Its very easy for anyone from our lot to get on P Coy as we have a Squadron with 16AA. I even went on the beat up myself many years ago. I wont say anymore. :-?
For it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' 'Chuck him out, the brute!'
But it's 'Saviour of 'is country' when the guns begin to shoot; (Rudyard Kipling)
timex

Post by timex »

There was a very good article in the Globe and Laurel a few years ago written by an RM Capt. He went on a 2yr attachment to Para Regt and decided that it was only fair that he should do P Coy, after his tour finished he then compared the Cdo Course against P Coy.

His summation was very good and felt that in many ways they were similar but that the different roles required different products, physically they were about equal.

Sadly we seem to keep going round and round this buoy....