Share This Page:

Any advice?

Discussions about those units who make up The Parachute Regiment.
Richard

Any advice?

Post by Richard »

Hi, im new to this website i will try and make this brief. I wanted to join the RM this time last year. After a hard year of thinking and training wise i have come to a decision and i feel more happy in joining the Paras. The thing is i dont have much knowledge about this service.
I have passed my BARB test and my first fitness test. I am awaiting my results from the doctor up in scotland to aprove me to go to the next stage, I just want to no how much training i should be doing and if anyone could tell me what it is like in Para training?
When i did my fitness test my results were as follows..

Pressups - 56
Situps - 64
1.5 Mile - 9.16
Heaves - 9
Do i need to improve anything if so feel free to give me any tips.
Thx for reading..

Rick.
Scouse_liam

Post by Scouse_liam »

Hello mate i can only give advice up to what i have been through and thats only adsc!!! I was exactly the same as you with regards to the royal marines. But a dunno what it was a seen the light and went for the paras haha. But all i can say is keep what your doing up as it seems your doing ok. Just try and get your run time down, only so you can make sure you will do it. For more and better advice, speak to the para lads who have passed, beacuse the obviously know there shit alot more than me. Nice one mate
BE A w@#k OR A PARATROOPER."
2 PARA
sky ninja steve

Post by sky ninja steve »

i went to depot with more or less exactly the same stats as youve got there and here i am now 3 para on the sniper cadre in jan (otterburn in jan brrrrrrr!!!!!)
"Many are called but few are chosen, keep your webbing tight, your weapon clean and work hard. When times are tough be proud of who you are, trust in those above you and stay loyal to those around you"
anglo-saxon

Post by anglo-saxon »

sky ninja steve wrote:(otterburn in jan brrrrrrr!!!!!)
You should try Manitoba, mate. So cold, you can't say farkin, "brrr".

-29C there yesterday and it aint even cold yet!
Hyperlithe

Post by Hyperlithe »

I've done Otterburn in Jan, it wasn't that bad...
Catterick in Jan when the range controller puts you in a plantation on top of a hill where they've cut all the trees down, now that's a problem! Fortunately we weren't actually in our tents when they all blew away!
You can have peace.
Or you can have freedom.
Don't ever count on having both at once.
The life that I have
Is all that I have
And the life that I have
Is yours
Greenronnie

Post by Greenronnie »

Amazing how people love to black cat each other on here. So here goes. I'm sure it must have been real cold stood at the top of a hill before buggering off to a tent or hotel. The last time I was in Otterburn, we jumped in from 25 grand, I got frost nip on my face, then we were on the ground in the rain and sleet for two weeks. On our feet, doing an average of 20-30 klicks a day, carrying approx 120 lbs. And I'm not waffling here. But am waiting for some topper to top me.

Back to the original question, don't rest on your laurels mate, keep working hard and do the best you can.
Hyperlithe

Post by Hyperlithe »

Wasn't black catting anyone - sky ninja's not been to Otterburn yet, so was just pointing out that it's not that bad...
And that's from the RAF, so it'll be nothing to a para!
(We weren't just stood about on the top of a hill either, thanks.)
You can have peace.
Or you can have freedom.
The life that I have
Is all that I have
And the life that I have
Is yours
Rogue Chef

Post by Rogue Chef »

Been there, done that, but my bergan weighed 121lbs.
Greenronnie

Post by Greenronnie »

Ha ha, fair one! Forgot to mention that really heavy bar of chocolate that I put in the top!

Any 'exercise' that is spent in a tent (or planned to be) isn't an exercise in my opinion. And I personally think that Otterburn is the worst place in the UK to go on exercise, every time I've been there it has been gopping!
Hyperlithe

Post by Hyperlithe »

We did end up spending most of it in bivvies, which would have been fine, if I hadn't had to share with the one guy on my course who talked in his sleep...

I thought it was quite nice in Jan, yeah, it was cold, and the snow was quite deep, but it was worse in March when it rained every day.

GreenRonnie, you know if I'm dropping into anywhere from 25k there's a serious problem - we don't have parachutes...
:o
You can have peace.
Or you can have freedom.
The life that I have
Is all that I have
And the life that I have
Is yours
Rogue Chef

Post by Rogue Chef »

I thought you'd gone to bed?
Hyperlithe

Post by Hyperlithe »

I am.
You can have peace.
Or you can have freedom.
The life that I have
Is all that I have
And the life that I have
Is yours
Paratrooper01

Post by Paratrooper01 »

Greenronnie wrote:Amazing how people love to black cat each other on here. So here goes. I'm sure it must have been real cold stood at the top of a hill before buggering off to a tent or hotel. The last time I was in Otterburn, we jumped in from 25 grand, I got frost nip on my face, then we were on the ground in the rain and sleet for two weeks. On our feet, doing an average of 20-30 klicks a day, carrying approx 120 lbs. And I'm not waffling here. But am waiting for some topper to top me.

Back to the original question, don't rest on your laurels mate, keep working hard and do the best you can.

Cracking exercise that. It was once described by Stu Tootal as "the worst exercise in NATO history". :lol:

25k. 120lbs. otterburn. LUXURY!!!! :lol:
Utrinque Paratus - READY FOR ANYTHING!
Greenronnie

Post by Greenronnie »

Paratrooper01 wrote:Cracking exercise that. It was once described by Stu Tootal as "the worst exercise in NATO history". :lol:

25k. 120lbs. otterburn. LUXURY!!!! :lol:
You're thinking of a different one mate, this one was a 2 Para ex. I missed the second phase of the 3 Para Afghan prep ex, as I was on my way to Cyprus, great shame!! And it was 25k a day, the ex was two weeks. :-?

HL, no one was suggesting that anyone in the RAF does high altitude parachuting. I was just trying to highlight the difference between infantry soldiering and the rest of the armed forces. I've seen the RAF on what they describe as an 'exercise', and it would qualify as a jolly from an infantryman's point of view.
Paratrooper01

Post by Paratrooper01 »

Greenronnie wrote:
You're thinking of a different one mate, this one was a 2 Para ex. I missed the second phase of the 3 Para Afghan prep ex, as I was on my way to Cyprus, great shame!! And it was 25k a day, the ex was two weeks. :-?
Copy that. Still, that 2 para one sounded cracking aswell. :roll:
Utrinque Paratus - READY FOR ANYTHING!