Share This Page:

Had my Medical but...

"Flying High" Discussions about the Royal Air Force.
The Stig

Had my Medical but...

Post by The Stig »

Been along time since ive commented on here so thought id keep you up to date!

At present im "Temporarily Unift" as my hearing test had a slight problem!

The nurse at the Med Centre said to me "i should warn you there may be lorries going by the window etc." fair enough i thought. turns out there was a building site opposite the centre! so im trying to do a hearing test with lorries beeping and men shouting to each other! no wonder i couldn't hear some frequency's on the hearing test!

So now i've got to wait for the AFCO to get in contact with my GP to make sure i've had no problems with my ears recently...which i havent by the way!

Apart from that the medical went fine lol
timex

Post by timex »

From what you have said the Nurse should not have carried out the hearing test in those conditions, did you mention this to the MO at the time? It may be worthwhile having a chat with the practise manager about it and even if your test cannot be re-taken then at least it may stop some others going through the same process.
The Stig

Post by The Stig »

timex wrote:From what you have said the Nurse should not have carried out the hearing test in those conditions, did you mention this to the MO at the time? It may be worthwhile having a chat with the practise manager about it and even if your test cannot be re-taken then at least it may stop some others going through the same process.
the doctor who did the 2nd part of my medical did say that they have a problem with this, and i mentioned how i really wanted ASOp as my chosen trade!...he tried calling my afco with me there but couldnt get through! it was only one frequency mind and they'll see from my GP's records that i have had no problems with my hearing!

and my dad ex RAF for 23 years said that they always have hearing tests with some activity going on outside! he was doing his hearing test at Marham when a GR4 came bombing over head lol! so it seems like they always do this!
Hyperlithe

Post by Hyperlithe »

It's true - there's nowhere really quiet on a RAF base, so you have to just do the best you can. I could hear some bloke talking in the next room when I did Didn't have any problems though.
You can have peace.
Or you can have freedom.
Don't ever count on having both at once.
The life that I have
Is all that I have
And the life that I have
Is yours
crillin18

Post by crillin18 »

its true they do, do these hearing tests with noice because the room i was in had the windows open with the main road about 6 foot away so yeh maybey you should get your gp to give you a test then give the results to the r.a.f.
Crillin18
swompy

Post by swompy »

When I had my hearing test for the reserves I was inside a sound proof box and I couldn’t hear anything apart from the bleeping.

That was at Brize Norton.
There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
The Stig

Post by The Stig »

swompy wrote:When I had my hearing test for the reserves I was inside a sound proof box and I couldn’t hear anything apart from the bleeping.

That was at Brize Norton.
lol well mine was in med centre in Norwich so that explains why its rubbish (im from suffolk by the way) :lol:
timex

Post by timex »

I've had hearing tests nearly every year for the last 25 yrs, whenever I ended up in a room doing a hearing test and noise was preventing me hearing the actual test then I would terminate the test and speak to the Medic or MO. Its just not acceptable if your career depends on it.
Last edited by timex on Sat 22 Nov, 2008 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Stig

Post by The Stig »

timex wrote:I've had hearing tests nearly every year for the last 25 yrs, when I ever ended up in a room doing a hearing test and noise was preventing me hearing the actual test then I would terminate the test and speak to the Medic or MO. Its just not acceptable if your career depends on it.
here here to that! i'll be having strong words with the AFCO if its a no for sure! i may call up my GP on monday and book an appointment with him before he gets the letter from the raf...and even do my test with him in a quiet room lol