Share This Page:

Joining Information

"Flying High" Discussions about the Royal Air Force.
Adamk

Joining Information

Post by Adamk »

Hi all,
First post here, so probably will get some abuse!

Anyway, im a 24 yr old cival engineer, been doing it just over 5 years now, and lately have been thinking its time for a career change, looked at the Army, but have decided i want join the Raf as an Aerial Erector.

Having spoke to a few people, they reckon my age would count against me, however, im fit, single, no ties etc and definately up for the biggest change of my life.

Any advice about applying or general Raf lifed be amazing!

Many thanks
Wholley

Post by Wholley »

Welcome aboard Adam.
Your age will not count against you so do it.
my colleague Hyperlithe will be along soon with more advise than I can give.
Be nice to her,she could be your boss in the future 8)
Hyperlithe

Post by Hyperlithe »

Hi Adam,
do not worry at all about your age, I was 26 when I started my basic training at Halton, and there were people older than me!

I worked at the Aerial Erector school at Digby for a few months, but it was organising ticket sales for Party in the Park, nothing to do with the actual aerial side of things! The instructors there all seemed like a nice bunch though. Hope you've got a good head for heights!

There's a load of info on here about what to expect from the application process, and basic training, but if you've any questions just drop me a PM, will do my best to help.
You can have peace.
Or you can have freedom.
Don't ever count on having both at once.
The life that I have
Is all that I have
And the life that I have
Is yours
jackjag_89

Post by jackjag_89 »

your age isnt a problem. i just went to pre rtc and there were people there aged 29! it takes a long time to go through application though. i applied in may and going to halton in november!
Ruth

Post by Ruth »

Good luck with it. If you go in as an Aerial Erector you have the chance of also going to Antarctica to work on some of the masts at the bases there. I've met several of the guys heading off for a season south.