Share This Page:

Advice / Guidance needed please :)

"Flying High" Discussions about the Royal Air Force.
Ell-nufc

Advice / Guidance needed please :)

Post by Ell-nufc »

Hello my first post on here :D

So I am in year 11 and I am thinking about joining the RAF as an officer, weapons systems officer looks the most appealing as I will most likely be to tall for a pilot.

I have taken four GCSEs last year and six this year as they have been split into two halves. I got an A in Geography, and a B in technology, maths and R.E. This year I am taking English, Separate Sciences and History, for all which I have been predicted an A.

I am just wondering that with these grades, and now almost certain that I want to take this path. Just a few questions for anyone who has been in a familiar posision as me and for people who can help answer:

Am I in a position to apply for sponsorship for college?

It says on the RAF website that most people who go in as a WSO have a degree at university, if this is the case which course would be taken and would I be in a good position to ask for a sponsorship there also?

Answers will be much appreciated. :)
Tab

Post by Tab »

I would suggest that you contact either a recruiting office or write to the RAF to get the real facts
davidgorjup

Post by davidgorjup »

Have you been to your AFCO and spoken to the folks in there? They can give you information about any roles you want to go for, also the hight restrictions on pilots.
Ell-nufc

Post by Ell-nufc »

Not yet, no, but I will go in the next time I am in town to ask these questions if you think it is best.

One more question you could possibly help me with that maybe does not need AFCO to tell me a little about:

Would my grades be good enough for a defence sixth form such as Welbeck, or is this strictly for people aiming to be an Army officer, as this really appeals to me? :)
Hyperlithe

Post by Hyperlithe »

Welbeck provides education for people wanting to go on to join any of the 3 services as an officer, not just the Army. It does seem to be focussed on engineering though, so I'm not sure how that would fit with your thoughts of becoming a WSO.

The AFCO will have details of Welbeck as well, so that's really your best bet for getting all the information you need in one go!
You can have peace.
Or you can have freedom.
Don't ever count on having both at once.
The life that I have
Is all that I have
And the life that I have
Is yours
davidgorjup

Post by davidgorjup »

And when you do go into your AFCO, remember to ask for branch specific information sheets, don't do what I've done and have to go back for them!

Good luck by the way
kfreckles

Post by kfreckles »

I would go to your AFCO ASAP as applications to the armed forces tend to take a long time to process etc.

You can always apply for your college scholarship as you have nothing to lose by doing so. If you're unsuccessful, you can still go to college and spend 2 years working on your weak areas ready to either apply for direct entry from your A-Levels or ready to apply for a University Bursary.