Share This Page:

Royal Marines...mountain leader??

"The Team Works" Discussions about the Royal Navy.
s3ansk1

Royal Marines...mountain leader??

Post by s3ansk1 »

Hi there, i've decided on the RM rather than the RN and thinking about the taking the career choice of moutain leader, could someone tell me what this position involves a little more?? Plus im 31 is this a problem??
timex

Post by timex »

First off you should ask this on the RM forum for a wider RM response, secondly if you wish to go ML you will need to be Cpl (or passed the JCC), also pass the ML aquaint (if it's still going) and a recommend.

Your fitness levels will need to be very high and it goes without saying a good head for heights. Course is about 12 months if I remember correctly.
davo141

Post by davo141 »

ML....only the insane and the the super fit attempt it. The courses is longer than UKSF selection and involves hundreads of miles of yomping through the scottish highlands, a weeks survival ex, mountain and artic training in norway, recce etc.

A nails course by anyones standards. A bunch of people who take pride in thrashing bootnecks in the cold of norway.

Some of the finest soldiers there are around, they usually get drafted to BRF or unit recce troops.
Forward Troop - CLRRM, Viking Operator and Maintainer. Viking Support Troop out in The Ghan.