Share This Page:

WSO application

"Flying High" Discussions about the Royal Air Force.
davidgorjup

WSO application

Post by davidgorjup »

Hi Guys,

Im applying to join as a WSO(weapon systems officer) next month after my P2 presentation.

I've been glued to the RAF website to find out all the info i can about this role and the process of getting there.

What im struggling to find is info about the training after basic training/basic officer training. Also what branches/wings i could be signed to.

Has anyone gone down this route before or know anything about it?

Also, whats the best way to gear yourself up for the first interview and what question will I be asked?

Cheers
The Stig

Re: WSO application

Post by The Stig »

davidgorjup wrote:Hi Guys,

Im applying to join as a WSO(weapon systems officer) next month after my P2 presentation.

I've been glued to the RAF website to find out all the info i can about this role and the process of getting there.

What im struggling to find is info about the training after basic training/basic officer training. Also what branches/wings i could be signed to.

Has anyone gone down this route before or know anything about it?

Also, whats the best way to gear yourself up for the first interview and what question will I be asked?

Cheers
go to an AFCO and they have branch sheets that tell you everything about a specific branch..how long ur training is and where etc.!
davidgorjup

Post by davidgorjup »

cheers stig,

Ive got my P2 in about a month, I just want to submerge myself in all aspects of WSO before hand.

I've had the Aircrew booklet from the AFCO with general information about the all the aircrew roles and what have you.

Ill pop into the AFCO and get some more info,

cheers again
The Stig

Post by The Stig »

davidgorjup wrote:cheers stig,

Ive got my P2 in about a month, I just want to submerge myself in all aspects of WSO before hand.

I've had the Aircrew booklet from the AFCO with general information about the all the aircrew roles and what have you.

Ill pop into the AFCO and get some more info,

cheers again
the thing u need isnt a booklet per say. its two piece's on paper stapled together which will tell u just about WSO.....if u have the aircrew booklet they should have given u the branch one aswell lol oh well!
Wholley

Post by Wholley »

Can you not spell YOU or are you just being lazy?
YOU might try capitalising your"I"s as well.
Every little helps.
Any inkling of text speak gets on my nerves.
Save it for your mobile M8's.
davidgorjup

Post by davidgorjup »

Stig;

I didn't have any info regarding and branches, only the main aircrew booklet and some medical forms I needed to fill in. Ill give them a call and ask them to send one out.

Also, What is asked on the filter interview at the AFCO?

Thanks again
The Stig

Post by The Stig »

Wholley wrote:Can you not spell YOU or are you just being lazy?
Every little helps.
A + A* English GCSE's so shut up
The Stig

Post by The Stig »

davidgorjup wrote:Stig;

I didn't have any info regarding and branches, only the main aircrew booklet and some medical forms I needed to fill in. Ill give them a call and ask them to send one out.

Also, What is asked on the filter interview at the AFCO?

Thanks again
best thing would just to fone ur AFCO and say that you've herd about specific branch information forms and do they have any or could they get hold of some.... if not u can stil pass the AFCO interview without them! and when u go to OASC they have all of them in the OASC centre!

the filter interview isnt as bad as they make out at your presentation!

first half is about u, abit about : family, education grades, work, hobbies, clubs , Air cadets etc. etc. so abit of advice would be to write down what you've done in your life! you'd be surprised how hard it is to remember all the things you were part of!

2nd part is about the RAF they'll ask "why the RAF?" "why do you wont to be an officer in the RAF?" "why WSO?" and possibly "why not pilot?"

they'll ask you about RAF aircraft in service and future ones, mostly to do with WSO's. so you'll need to know what you could end up on e.g. Tornado's, Nimrod MR2's, AWAC's and helicopters aswell!

they will deffo ask about your "career path" aka where u do your training and for how long: IOT 30 weeks at Cranwell, then do Elementary navigation at Cranwell, then you'd get streamed... i think:P

ask the AFCO when you call them up where you'd train as a WSO as they wont to know that you understand your branch!

they ask what NATO stands for and when it was formed, and how many members!

then some quessies like "being a WSO you may have to drop bombs on people how do u feel about this" and "the RAF operates a zero tolerance towards drugs and other illegal substances, how do you feel about this?"

thats it for the Formal Interview, best of luck for it and if u need anything else drop me a line!
Wholley

Post by Wholley »

The Stig wrote: A + A* English GCSE's so shut up
The way you write you would never know.
Wind your neck in buster......

A at A-level English before the dumbing down so the masses could get a result :evil:
Hands on

Post by Hands on »

The Stig wrote:
Wholley wrote:Can you not spell YOU or are you just being lazy?
Every little helps.
A + A* English GCSE's so shut up
No GCSE'S, and I can still spell phone, not fone like you have done In the post above :evil:
Hyperlithe

Post by Hyperlithe »

Stig - part of the NCAITC is called Defence Writing - you try handing in something like your post above and see what the Regiment Flight Sergeant rips you...
:o

No need to be rude to the moderators, we're just trying to uphold standards.
You can have peace.
Or you can have freedom.
Don't ever count on having both at once.
The life that I have
Is all that I have
And the life that I have
Is yours
The Stig

Post by The Stig »

Deleted for obvious reasons.
Wholley.
sittingstress

Post by sittingstress »

24 years a Rock and I am fully qualified, current and competent in The Ripping of New Bodily Orifices.

Please feel free to attach your A & A* GCSE Certificates to the DW you hand in. In return I will hand you the contents of a cross-cut shredder bin.

You can use the spare time you have between re-writing your DW and glueing together the pieces of your certificates to prepare your uniforms for inspection to my standard. Beginning at 0900 on a Saturday (of my choice) you can parade (in a uniform of my choice) and subsequently every hour until 2100 for my inspection. Every inspection you fail you will repeat on Sunday.

OR

You can listen to advice, abide by the rules and remember exactly who makes the rules for the club you want to be a part of.

Instructors don't like choppsy students with poor attitudes. In grown-up life you have to make choices and live with the fall out from them.

Regards

ss

PS Any childish response that doesn't include a phrase that is an apology will prove you don't have the personal qualities to succeed in the RAF.

PPS It is Per Se not Per Say. English for the dumbed down perhaps?

PPPS I missed the response that was written and deleted whilst I composed my last! Was it any good? :)
Per Ardua
davidgorjup

Post by davidgorjup »

Stig,

Thanks again for all the info! Ill give them a ring and learn the in's and out's of everying I may have to work with (equipment, stations, wings)

Do you mind if I PM you with any other questions?

As for everything else that has gone on in this thread, I like a good friendly ribbing as much as the next guy but is it all this needed over afew abbreviations?
The Stig

Post by The Stig »

Deleted again for the same reason.You either spell correctly and play by the rules or do the other thing.