Share This Page:

career advice

"Flying High" Discussions about the Royal Air Force.
lakane

career advice

Post by lakane »

hi.
i've just left school and want to join the raf on the engineering side. i suffer from slight hay fever for a few weeks a year (sneezing now and again)and i get free hey fever tablets from my doctor though they are hardly ever used (just a precation really). will this be a problem at my medical. do they give allergy tests to see how severe the problem is.
thanks
davo141

Post by davo141 »

Loads of lads suffer from hayfever, some worse than others. its amusing for us non-suffers when lads are crying and sneezing because of it in the field!! :D
Forward Troop - CLRRM, Viking Operator and Maintainer. Viking Support Troop out in The Ghan.
Hyperlithe

Post by Hyperlithe »

There are certain jobs for which you would not be accepted if you suffer with hayfever, but they generally tend to be the airborne ones, so as long as you're looking at a ground trade you should be fine.
You can have peace.
Or you can have freedom.
Don't ever count on having both at once.
The life that I have
Is all that I have
And the life that I have
Is yours
SandyTheGuvnor

Post by SandyTheGuvnor »

Hyperlithe wrote:There are certain jobs for which you would not be accepted if you suffer with hayfever, but they generally tend to be the airborne ones, so as long as you're looking at a ground trade you should be fine.

Where is the source of this information as i have heard that before.
Things you feel like doing after being hit in the liver :
-Vomitting
-Suffocating
-Shitting yourself
-Passing out
-Crying for your mummy
-Stop taking part in any kind of violent sport.......
Hyperlithe

Post by Hyperlithe »

Well that came from personal experience, and the medical forms I had to fill in when I applied to join as aircrew...
You can have peace.
Or you can have freedom.
The life that I have
Is all that I have
And the life that I have
Is yours
The Stig

Re: career advice

Post by The Stig »

lakane wrote:hi.
i've just left school and want to join the raf on the engineering side. i suffer from slight hay fever for a few weeks a year (sneezing now and again)and i get free hey fever tablets from my doctor though they are hardly ever used (just a precation really). will this be a problem at my medical. do they give allergy tests to see how severe the problem is.
thanks
you can go for any branch/trade expect: Pilot, Nav. and all the WSOp's! basically any aircrew....make sure its deffo hayfever as i had a chesty cough which i feared was hayfever but my doctor told me its an alergy to something...and it doesnt effect my application for WSOp.
Hyperlithe

Post by Hyperlithe »

There's only one hayfever medication approved for aircrew, and I can't remember which one it is! The docs will tell you what it is if you ask them nicely.
You can have peace.
Or you can have freedom.
The life that I have
Is all that I have
And the life that I have
Is yours
sportbilly42

Post by sportbilly42 »

The Stig wrote:you can go for any branch/trade expect: Pilot, Nav. and all the WSOp's! basically any aircrew....make sure its deffo hayfever as i had a chesty cough which i feared was hayfever but my doctor told me its an alergy to something...and it doesnt effect my application for WSOp.
Interesting... My daughter had similar unspecified cough on her medical records. The RAF will not take her until she has been free from that 'cough' for four years. She insists on no trips to the doc when she gets a cold now, just drugged up and sent to bed...
Doc

Post by Doc »

Hyperlithe wrote:There's only one hayfever medication approved for aircrew, and I can't remember which one it is! The docs will tell you what it is if you ask them nicely.
I think its clarytin. Not 100 % though.
The Stig

Post by The Stig »

sportbilly42 wrote:
The Stig wrote:you can go for any branch/trade expect: Pilot, Nav. and all the WSOp's! basically any aircrew....make sure its deffo hayfever as i had a chesty cough which i feared was hayfever but my doctor told me its an alergy to something...and it doesnt effect my application for WSOp.
Interesting... My daughter had similar unspecified cough on her medical records. The RAF will not take her until she has been free from that 'cough' for four years. She insists on no trips to the doc when she gets a cold now, just drugged up and sent to bed...
well mine isnt to do with my lungs...if u wont to know the technical side what my doctor sed is mucus is going down from my nasal passage down into my lungs causing me to cough..my lungs are squeaky clean so that shouldnt effect my aircrew!

hang on im the stig .... i dont have lungs i breath through gills on my neck lol!
Hyperlithe

Post by Hyperlithe »

It's the actual chemical, not the brand, and it's Loratadine.
So any tablets containing loratadine are ok, anything else is not!
You can have peace.
Or you can have freedom.
The life that I have
Is all that I have
And the life that I have
Is yours