Share This Page:

Medical contdition - Can I join?

"Flying High" Discussions about the Royal Air Force.
tridgway

Medical contdition - Can I join?

Post by tridgway »

Hi
Was looking to join up and have been down to my local afco. However I have underactive thyroid glands, which means I have to take 125mg of thyroxine in pill form every morning. Im not sure if this will prvent me from joing. Ive phoned my afco and cannot get a clear answer on this. Any help would be greatly appreciated?
English Rose

Post by English Rose »

I would imagine it would depend on the individual which is probably why you can't get a clear answer. Thyroid problems affect different people in different ways so it would depend on personal circumstance and affect as to whether it would affect your performance as a soldier.
Ponomis

Post by Ponomis »

You can get cleared medically, but you have to be stable for a year. I only found out that I had an underactive thyroid after passing OASC. I'm 7 months into my year, and so far, so good. Just have to make it to October and then I will be cleared to join IOT 15.
cosworth

Post by cosworth »

I think the point of this is what would happen to you if you didnt take your tables?

Say you ran out wile out in Afghan?
Ponomis

Re: .

Post by Ponomis »

cosworth wrote:I think the point of this is what would happen to you if you didnt take your tables?

Say you ran out wile out in Afghan?
It would depend on the severity of the condition. For me, I am on less than half the amount of thyroxine as the OP and I wouldn't notice much of a difference. I probably had hypothyroidism for 2-3 years before I was diagnosed and it didn't stop me from doing anything. Besides, if you are capable enough to get into the armed forces you should be capable enough of looking after a few tablets on deployment.
tridgway

Post by tridgway »

Thanks for the replys. I take it no one can give a defenit answer on this?
Ponomis

Post by Ponomis »

tridgway wrote:Thanks for the replys. I take it no one can give a defenit answer on this?
Just go for it and see what they say. I've been in contact with the army as a potential back up and they would be willing to take me aswell as long as I remain stable for a whole year.