Share This Page:

What are the coruses like for being a Gunner?

"Flying High" Discussions about the Royal Air Force.
Heffernan

What are the coruses like for being a Gunner?

Post by Heffernan »

I know in the military you can do college courses, but the AFCO said i can only do courses realting to my trade so im guessing the courses would be like Security courses but can anyone give me some real info?
bushyredsocks

Post by bushyredsocks »

You get a Security NVQ ceritificate whilst actually being in the RAF Regiment, but you can also do external educational courses to earn qualifications in just about anything you want to.
Heffernan

Post by Heffernan »

What i mean is what can you study while in the regiment..
London Boy

Post by London Boy »

Heffernan wrote:What i mean is what can you study while in the regiment..
Nowt! Not back in my day anyway. The only courses we were permitted to go on were those that directly enhanced our role as gunners. Evening classes and such like were simply out of the question.
Tab

Post by Tab »

Noisy
anglo-saxon

Post by anglo-saxon »

Dunno 'bout the "coruses", but the verses are a bleein' killer!
bushyredsocks

Post by bushyredsocks »

Do you mean academic courses? Because you can gain any qualification you want, right up to degree level. If you're talking about military courses, these are possible too, as you can do a detachment with the marines and do the commando course etc.
Heffernan

Post by Heffernan »

bushyredsocks wrote:Do you mean academic courses? Because you can gain any qualification you want, right up to degree level. If you're talking about military courses, these are possible too, as you can do a detachment with the marines and do the commando course etc.
I ment academic, as the AFCO guy said i can only do security releated courses and such as it has to improve my work skills (gunner), and if i get in i want to the commando course.
bushyredsocks

Post by bushyredsocks »

Oh academically you can do anything you want. I was talking to a Sgt in the Regiment afew weeks ago in Honnington and he was telling me that he did his GCSE English last week. You get a educational allowance from the RAF which provides you with the money to study anything you want. The qualifications you can earn start from GCSE and go right up to A-Level and Degree. Obviously the higher the qualification you want, you get more of an educational allowance to study.
London Boy

Post by London Boy »

Heffernan wrote:
bushyredsocks wrote:I ment academic, as the AFCO guy said i can only do security releated courses and such as it has to improve my work skills (gunner), and if i get in i want to the commando course.
You will only be allowed to do the commando course if your NCOs & then officers think you are suitable for it and that it will enhance your role within your given sqn. However I can tell you that as an Airman unless the sun shines out of your rear orifice the chances of you getting approval to be sent on the all arms commando course before you reach the rank of Cpl are about the same as mine for being nominated Pope! :wink:

But seriously, I've said it before, and many others here have said it before too, the armed forces is not a pick-n-mix shop for young lads to have jolly japes in and run around doing loads of courses.

It's serious business, and you've got to wise up sharpish & knuckle down to the job in hand. so focus on getting in and getting on first. Then after a couple of years start thinking about courses.

When I was on II Sqn - only Cpls and upwards were permitted to go on
courses offered by other arms. In other words, you have to learn your own trade first before you can even think of courses related to someone else's.
rockapegooch

Post by rockapegooch »

Is it possible to learn another language in the RAF regiment?
bushyredsocks

Post by bushyredsocks »

Yes
gunner75

Post by gunner75 »

in answer to original post:
you can do courses for horses. just name what you want to do. however, you will (once in) not be bothered with all that cr*p as you will be too bothered being a sex god to all the groupies in bury st. edmunds (or whereever your posted) and also trying to better yourself as a soldier. you will either be a do'er and get everything done (in which case everyone will love ya) or a tosspot who does jack (bad times).
'Every man an Emperor'