Share This Page:

The scariest and most inaccurate

Firearm and Weapon Discussions - Anything capable of firing a projectile and using an explosive charge as a propellant.
anglo-saxon

Post by anglo-saxon »

Eeee, lad. Tha knows what
London Boy wrote:thought
did?

Ran after a muck cart and thought it were a weddin'!
Holger Danske

Post by Holger Danske »

anglo-saxon wrote:Eeee, lad. Tha knows what
did?

A Bushaster II sends a MP-round-further than 3000m !! Sorry..??
"Sir! We are surrounded! - Excellent! Now we can attack in any direction!"
Holger Danske

Post by Holger Danske »

Holger Danske wrote:
anglo-saxoAnd it's not painful at all, it's just a clickn wrote:Eeee, lad. Tha knows what
did?

A Bushaster II sends a MP-round-further than 3000m !! Sorry..??
A-S kill me sellf..!!

Help me mate.. :-?

No shite..

Sorry i get it. you dont.!!..
"Sir! We are surrounded! - Excellent! Now we can attack in any direction!"
Greenronnie

Post by Greenronnie »

Wendy?? Better than Bob I suppose!

Fired the .50 Desert Eagle at Jim's Guns in Fayettenam a few years back, was mega! Completely over the top, unpractical, but mega none the less! :D
London Boy

Post by London Boy »

Yea mega is a good description. It truly is an awesome weapon, but about as pracitcal as a chocolate teapot! :wink:
Wholley

Post by Wholley »

anglo-saxon wrote: If some reason I was for reduced to choosing only one pistol and one rifle round, it would be .40 S&W and .308 Win.
Thought I'd wake this up.
I owned a couple of SLR's(L1A1 in the US)They loved the 7.62x54Nato ball FMJ's but the blue tip Winchester .308 just would not feed consistently.
Looking at some of the casings I could only come to the conclusion that the blue tips did not ramp well,maybe because of a softer brass.
Used to get my FMJ's from a tame USAF Armorer,linked for an M60 but discolored,so all I had to do was snap out the links and the tracer rounds.
Now get me started on the SUIT scope,mounted on a wobbly dust cover it would lose zero if the dogs breathed on it. :roll:
anglo-saxon

Post by anglo-saxon »

NATO ammo is 7.62 X 51mm mate, not 7.62 X 54 (that's the Russian sniper round).

Paulie, you no doubt already know this next bit, but for the benefit of those who don't and are interested in reloading...

When reloading using military brass, either 7.62 brass (for .308 Winchester) or 5.56 (for .223 Remington), be a little careful on the max load description given in any manual. Because military brass is designed to be fired from fully automatic weapons, the cartridges are more robust with thicker case walls. Given that the outside dimension of the cratridge cannot change to accommodate the additional case wall thickness (or it woulnd't fit in the chamber), the added thickness means less internal cartridge capacity for powder. Depending on the type of powder used a max charge developed for a civilian carteridge but placed in military brass can therefore produce unsafe chamber pressures. The safest way to go is to back off from the max load for a grain or two at least for the initial batch, then work it back up for subsequent batches while looking for signs of over pressure (such as flattened primers, deeper than usual firing pin strikes, etc.)

Now, safety precautions duly considered, a few months back I was at the Calgary Police ranges working with their Tactical Team and scooped a shyte load of 7.62 and 5.56 brass when I left. Their range is always in shyte state, with brass all over the place (and their SSgt is a Scouse ex-Para :roll: ). Their 7.62mm brass was actually Norma brass, which is excellent stuff. Being in need of .243 ammo, however, I duly put a few dozen 7.62 cases though my RCBS press with .243 dies and out came very well formed .243 brass. The .243 is after all simply "necked down" .308 (7.62) and that is exactly what I got. All that was required was to trim the case neck length and I was in like Flynn! Very accurate ammo indeed resulted and produced almost a single ragged hole with 5 rds from my single shot Harrington and Richardson .243 at 100m. Well chuffed!
just_me

Post by just_me »

AJtothemax wrote:"And the fact that I've got Desert Eagle .50, written on the side of mine" 8)

Snatch?
AJtothemax

Post by AJtothemax »

just_me wrote:
AJtothemax wrote:"And the fact that I've got Desert Eagle .50, written on the side of mine" 8)

Snatch?
Yeah sorry, couldn't resist the irony.
AJ

"First with your head and then with your heart. Don't stop."
just_me

Post by just_me »

AJtothemax wrote:
just_me wrote:

Snatch?
Yeah sorry, couldn't resist the irony.
Great film, though I wont hi-jack this thread. 8)
Wholley

Post by Wholley »

anglo-saxon wrote:NATO ammo is 7.62 X 51mm mate, not 7.62 X 54 (that's the Russian sniper round).
Since you posted this I have spoken to the ex who has some of my old Ammunition cans which she uses to keep girly stuff in.
Sprayed on the sides in nice military yellow(So as not to be detected in your local hair salon)Is,
7.62x54.Ball.FMJ.
7.62x39 is the old Soviet and PROC round.
anglo-saxon

Post by anglo-saxon »

Wholley wrote:
anglo-saxon wrote:NATO ammo is 7.62 X 51mm mate, not 7.62 X 54 (that's the Russian sniper round).
Since you posted this I have spoken to the ex who has some of my old Ammunition cans which she uses to keep girly stuff in.
Sprayed on the sides in nice military yellow(So as not to be detected in your local hair salon)Is,
7.62x54.Ball.FMJ.
7.62x39 is the old Soviet and PROC round.
Wholley: Then the box is rit rong. I can't explain that but NATO 7.62 ball is "x 51mm", not "x 54mm". The longer Russian ammo would not chamber in a 7.62 NATO rifle, especially as it is a rimmed round v. the NATO rimless round.

The second set of numbers (i.e., the "x 51mm" or "x 54mm", etc.) refers to the cartridge case length, from the base to the end of the case neck.

The 7.62 x 54mm is the Russian sniper round, originally designed for the Mosin Nagant and still used in some modern sniper rifles today. It looks quite similar to the old .303 round.

The 7.62 X 39mm is the old AK round, much of which is still getting slung in the direction of our troops as there's scads of it still lying about the world and much still being manufactured. In fact several US civi manufacturers make it as the "7.62 Russian" hunting round and Ruger chamber their "Mini 30 for it". The more modern AK variants use the 5.45mm of course.

See: http://www.chuckhawks.com/definitive_se ... aliber.htm

See also this entry in the Realod Bench cartridge databasehttp://www.reloadbench.com/specs/index. ... name=specs which shows the following:

Details of the record
Cartridge 7.62 x 51mm NATO
Case Type C
Bullet Dia. .308"
Case Length 2.015" *
Rim Dia. .470"
Neck Dia. .344"
Shldr. Dia. .454"
Base Dia. .470"
Cart. OAL 2.750"
Twist 1:12
Primer Bx
Trim-to-Length
Shell Holder RCBS#3 / Lyman#2 / Hornady#1 / Lee#2 / Redding#1
Maximum ANSI Pressure n/a

*(2.015 inch = 51.181 millimeter) [emphasis mine]

I've worked more cases while reloading .308 Winchester (civi ref to 7.62 X 51mm NATO) and .243 Winchester (just a .308/7.62mm "necked-down" to .243" or 6mm) and my digital micrometer doesn't lie.

Data is also available in the Lyman Relaoding Manual 48th Ed. (albeit in imperial measurements (i.e., 2.015", as stated above).
Last edited by anglo-saxon on Mon 05 May, 2008 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
SO19

Post by SO19 »

Aye, I concur with anglo. 8)
[i]‘We are not interested in the possibilities of defeat’ - Queen Victoria, 1899[/i]
Heffernan

Re: The scariest and most inaccurate

Post by Heffernan »

London Boy wrote:The scariest and most inaccurate handgun I ever fired. A member at my old gun club in Kent (early 90s), was a bit of playboy, had all sorts of handguns,motorbikes and sports cars and I got the chance to fire two rounds out of his desert eagle one Sunday. Heavy, cumbersome, a kick like an old .303 and about as accurate as the intel on WMD in Iraq ;)

I don't know if any police or armed forces use this in service but I hope
not,

"Right son, hit that barn at 40 yards and you've passed "

"With this, you must be effin joking, I'd be lucky to hit it at 25 yards with this heavy old cow of a pistol"
Yeh but i wouldnt like to be shot with it. bet it can do some damage?
anglo-saxon

Post by anglo-saxon »

Well, chances are, "it" would do about the same damage as any other .41 or .44 cal handgun with the same barrel length. The .50 AE would likely smart a tad more :wink: