Share This Page:

The scariest and most inaccurate

Firearm and Weapon Discussions - Anything capable of firing a projectile and using an explosive charge as a propellant.
London Boy

Post by London Boy »

Not knowing the exact diameters myself I can only chime in with something I've always remembered that one of our cpls told us during training "The Russian soldier can use our rounds in his AK but we can't use his in our SLRs.
anglo-saxon

Post by anglo-saxon »

London Boy wrote:Not knowing the exact diameters myself I can only chime in with something I've always remembered that one of our cpls told us during training "The Russian soldier can use our rounds in his AK but we can't use his in our SLRs.
Uh, yeah. OK. :-? Unfortunately, that would come under the category of "utter bollocks".

There are many reasons why. Some scientific. Some not so much. Diamater is but the start. I won't bore you with such things as case length, neck diameter, shoulder angle, head-spacing, or the requisite tolerences thereof, but can y'all say, "breach explosion"?

Pinheads who pluck such drivel out from between their cheeks to try to impress crows should be beaten with knobby a stick! :roll:

Makes you wonder what other drivel he imparted, dunnit? :wink:
London Boy

Post by London Boy »

Like I said, I have no idea of the different lengths of the different cartridges. I simply took my Cpl's comment for what it obviously was i.e. impressing upon and scaring new soldiers into not leaving ammo lying around during wartime ;)

But thanks, I know know that the Russkies wouldn't have been able to use my rounds ;) I can sleep easy now :)
anglo-saxon

Post by anglo-saxon »

LB: Just to be clear, that wasn't as poke at you. I've seen a slack handfull JNCOs like the one you mentioned at depots over the years. Unfortunately, their egos are the only thing they have going for them and their attitude discredits their peers, among others.
London Boy

Post by London Boy »

No mate, no worries. I realise it was a dig at the Cpl, who on reflection was a dozy egocentric type anyway. Luckily we only had him for the first few weeks before he went off to police the first elections in Rhodesia (1980)
Saxon

Post by Saxon »

Well all Desert Eagles were originally .357. The .50 Action Express was to fill 'a gap' in the hunting market.
If you're American and crazy enough to want to hunt anything with a pistol... then presumably you're the kind of person who will appreciate a gun which makes the biggest noise and the biggest mess.
BritinAfrica

Post by BritinAfrica »

anglo-saxon wrote:LB: Just to be clear, that wasn't as poke at you. I've seen a slack handfull JNCOs like the one you mentioned at depots over the years. Unfortunately, their egos are the only thing they have going for them and their attitude discredits their peers, among others.
Some of the crap I hear from so called experienced riflemen in my gun shop got so bad I had to put up a sign “Those who think they know guns really piss those off who do.” The stories I hear are worse then most fishermen stories. One I heard was “I drilled a Springbok through the eye at 600 meters.” He wouldn't see a bloody Springbok at 600 meters let alone hit it. What annoys me most of all, they fully expect me to believe their crap.

I was on the range one day when an obnoxious Afrikaner was boasting how good shoots the Boers were, while the Brit were crap during the Boer War. I said to him, “Never underestimate anyone, you'll come a cropper.” He then challenged me to a shoot out using his left handed 22 bolt action rifle (he is left handed). I said “OK, but I'll shot your rifle left handed and you will shoot right handed.” I beat him hands down, and again told him, “Never underestimate anyone.” I did forget to mention to him that I am ambidextrous and can shoot either right or left handed. :wink:
Rogue Chef

Post by Rogue Chef »

“I drilled a Springbok through the eye at 600 meters.”
I have heard similar claims. So maybe they are true.
Whitey

Post by Whitey »

My cousin had a Desert Eagle and was in a shootout with the law last year. The .50 cal went through the vests, but numbers prevailed and they killed him. Score was Darren dead and two officers wounded for life.

So I figure if you want to go through a vest, then get a Desert Eagle. Darren hit two men with it. Put one in a chair for life who was wearing an armor plate. Any gun is decent if you practice with it.

With a .22 I bet a head shot on most anyone would leave that person either dead or changed for life.

Guns are guns.

Dangerous weapons? LAW and AT-4. I hated both rockets. Fail to fire until you set it down.
Let them call me a rebel and I welcome it, I feel no concern from it; but I should suffer the misery of demons were I to make a whore of my soul. (Thomas Paine)
BritinAfrica

Post by BritinAfrica »

Whitey wrote:My cousin had a Desert Eagle and was in a shootout with the law last year. The .50 cal went through the vests, but numbers prevailed and they killed him. Score was Darren dead and two officers wounded for life.

So I figure if you want to go through a vest, then get a Desert Eagle. Darren hit two men with it. Put one in a chair for life who was wearing an armor plate. Any gun is decent if you practice with it.
The 7.62x25 Tokarev round will sail straight through a level 2 vest like a hot knife through butter, only the level 3 will stop it.
Whitey

Post by Whitey »

We have a new vest which I'm worried about looking at tests. They call it Dragonskin. They say it can stop anything. I wonder if it can stop a 50 cal?

Nice to know about that round. Hey do you think a 7.62X54 can slice through a level 3?
Let them call me a rebel and I welcome it, I feel no concern from it; but I should suffer the misery of demons were I to make a whore of my soul. (Thomas Paine)
Whitey

Post by Whitey »

Just to back Wholley up on the 9mm. Darren had been hit in the back of the head with a 9mm round. He still managed to get to his room, load his 50 cal and seriously wound two federal agents before he lost control of his body and they double tapped him.
I never liked Darren and figure he deserved killing, but his death if studied proves a few things. 9mm is not an effective round for police officers. .50 cal. is pretty lethal and even in a Desert Eagle in the hands of a mortally wounded man it can be deadly even against body armor.
BritinAfrica

Post by BritinAfrica »

Whitey wrote:We have a new vest which I'm worried about looking at tests. They call it Dragonskin. They say it can stop anything. I wonder if it can stop a 50 cal?

Nice to know about that round. Hey do you think a 7.62X54 can slice through a level 3?

A level 3 vest will generally stop everything in the 5.56, 303, 308, 30-06, 7.62x39 and 7.62x54 range. One thing to remember, if your vest stops a round, scrap it and get a new one. I did a search on the Dragonskin, and what I have found, looks like a good bit of kit.. Stopping a 50 Cal is going overboard a bit, even if the round doesnt penetrate (which I think it will), the impact will cave your chest in.

Regarding someone hit in the head with a 9mm and wasn't incapacitated immediately. I have heard of this scenario a few times, especially when somebody is high on PCP or other drugs. A friend of mine in UK was a member of the armed police in London, he told me of an incident where a crazed fella armed with a small axe was threatening to “Cut people's heads off!!” He was shot multiple times with a handgun but didn't go down, it took three rounds from a 12 bore to finally put him down. When a post mortem was carried out, it was found he was high as a kite on PCP. He didn't know he was dead. lol

The problem with full metal jacket 9mm Parabellum is that it is very overly penetrative, it will zip through a human torso no problem. This is where (all things being equal) the 45 ACP is a far better cartridge, its a lot slower at around 830 FPS for a 230 grain FMJ, where a 9mm Para is moving at around 1200 to 1300 for a Mk2Z 125 grain British military issue.
Whitey

Post by Whitey »

I never tried hydroshocks in a 9mm, but wonder if that would make a difference?
BritinAfrica

Post by BritinAfrica »

Whitey wrote:I never tried hydroshocks in a 9mm, but wonder if that would make a difference?
Usually yes, but I have had experiences with 9mm para hollow points, where the hole either closes or fills with tissue and doesnt expand. The best I have ever tested are the "Black Tallons" made by Winchester in both 9mm Para and 45 ACP. Surprisingly, Chinese Norinco 9mm Para actually worked quite well. In my experience Cor Bon +P ammunition "explodes" on impact, sending fragments everywhere. The only problem is, the fragments may not penetrate enough to hit a vital organ.