Share This Page:

What do you REALLY do in the Navy

"The Team Works" Discussions about the Royal Navy.
Paratrooper01

Post by Paratrooper01 »

spiderbloke wrote:Im rather biffy (if thats a word) :oops:
I think the phrase you were looking for was "im rather a mong". :wink:
Utrinque Paratus - READY FOR ANYTHING!
OMSSMretd

Post by OMSSMretd »

spiderbloke wrote:Im rather biffy (if thats a word) :oops: I best get training.

Will they teach you how to operate a boat etc, because to be honest I dont have a clue Ive only ever been a passenger.
To add to Harry's pertinent comment I think its fair to say they'll teach you how to clean a boat. Joining the Navy is a great career choice if you 'love the smell of Flash in the morning'.
scouse bloke

what you really do

Post by scouse bloke »

I'm very interested so far........so.........make a list...

good points about RN

bad points about RN

(this should satisfy any curiosity)
OMSSMretd

Post by OMSSMretd »

Okay as an embittered ex Operator Maintainer I'll humour you we'll start on the positives eh... World travel, free uniform (you get on of these at Mcdonalds), seriously though it is a good career choice for a youngster but if your into your fitness you'll be very disappointed. For me the best bit about the navy was everyone got a chance. Didnt matter where you came from you all got the chance to prove yourself and get on, the down side of this is that if you are reasonably bright and have a desire to better yourself you'll soon get bored with constantly being sat in front of a computer screen on watch or scrubbing out this is when the embiterness creeps in and you start thinking you could do better, but its not like civy street when you can change jobs or go to college your limited to what you can do to make change in your life. And thats the thing really because your life isnt really yours, your part of the ships company its needs come before yours. Obviously what you join up as has a massive bearing on what your life is like when your in. But Ive said this a thousand times to people do not join up hoping to work your way up from the bottom if you've got qualifications make sure that the Navy puts you in a job thats relevant to them dont let them tell you you can change once your in. If you've got the ability join as an officer, if your an older lad and had jobs before bear in mind how you will feel starting at the bottom again.
Sorry lot of negativity there but salient points all the same, it is a good career choice if you are happy to accept the realities of working hard on menial tasks yet at the same time having to retain extensive technical knowledge, jack of all trades master of none.
harry hackedoff

Post by harry hackedoff »

Welcome back matey, I`ve kept all your letters :kissing2:

Single ping, Number One :wink:
[url=http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/groupcp.php?g=397][img]http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/images/usergroups/listener.gif[/img][/url]
spiderbloke

Post by spiderbloke »

Paratrooper01 wrote:
spiderbloke wrote:Im rather biffy (if thats a word) :oops:
I think the phrase you were looking for was "im rather a mong". :wink:
Seems fair to say that you're a cock 8)
Paratrooper01

Post by Paratrooper01 »

Who are you again? Nobody...thats what i thought. :wink:
spiderbloke

Post by spiderbloke »

And you are.................someone with over 800 posts in a forum cool or what :roll:
Paratrooper01

Post by Paratrooper01 »

I think perhaps if you cant take a bit of light critisism and friendly p*ss taking on an internet forum then you should think hard about a career in the Armed Forces. Which, by the way, i am a serving member of...not just someone with 800 posts on a forum.

And if you decide the best course of action when feeling a bit offended is to lash out with verbal abuse, f-ing and blinding to someone you dont know, perhaps you should join the Armed Forces and give it a go. Im sure your superiors will take great pleasure in making your life difficult.
OMSSMretd

Post by OMSSMretd »

harry hackedoff wrote:Welcome back matey, I`ve kept all your letters :kissing2:

Single ping, Number One :wink:
Cheers H you old softy you. just thought I'd pop back in now that we's got t'internet at home. See the Navy forums rocking as ever.

Spider old chap Para's got an excellent point a major part of the forces is the banter, thats why so many ex forces types come to a forum like this; we miss it. And to be fair if you are easily offended perhaps a career in the armed forces is not for you. On the other hand you may have took it the wrong way and now see the funny side and are prepared to apoligise for your hasty reactions and put it down to experience after all life is one big learning curve.

No contacts sonar prepare to surface arooga!
spiderbloke

Post by spiderbloke »

OMSSMretd wrote:
Spider old chap Para's got an excellent point a major part of the forces is the banter, thats why so many ex forces types come to a forum like this; we miss it. And to be fair if you are easily offended perhaps a career in the armed forces is not for you. On the other hand you may have took it the wrong way and now see the funny side and are prepared to apoligise for your hasty reactions and put it down to experience after all life is one big learning curve.

No contacts sonar prepare to surface arooga!
Im not easily offended I guessed he was joking and I thought if he can give it, he can take it.

My reactions may seem hasty and in fairness they were but Im used to banter with my mates and insults back are how it seems to end up.

None of what I said I meant, it was simply me giving as good as I got.

Sorry if I caused any offence that wasnt my intention.
OMSSMretd

Post by OMSSMretd »

So spidey now we've got that out the way what are you planning to join the mob as. Please don't say steward as I will lose all respect for you.
spiderbloke

Post by spiderbloke »

Im looking at seamanship mate on the surface fleet preferably, that or army heard too many rumours about the fun lads get up to at sea :wink: :P
OMSSMretd

Post by OMSSMretd »

Don't knock it till you've tried it old chap... the navy not the other thing! Seriously though if your looking for a bit of elitetism you cant go far wrong with boats (submarines). All the beer you can drink and more claustfobia than you can stand.
spiderbloke

Post by spiderbloke »

I had ample opportunities to try it this evening when I took a wrong turn........

............I should have rang harry and para thats more their thing, and no Im not talking about the Navy :wink: