Share This Page:

Should it be law that you have to vote?

Interested or active in politics, discuss here.
Daka

Post by Daka »

I dunno, you'd get people making uninformed decisions. If people were forced to vote they'd turn up and tick who's name they liked the best. Thats hardly a great way to elect a political party.

I do, however, think that spoiled papers should be counted. I think if everyone knew a spoiled paper would be counted as a protest vote more people would do that than say use parties such as the BNP as a protest vote.

It would mean showing the country and its polticians that people are unhappy with the way the country is being run and would give less exposure to dangerous parties such as the BNP
Frank S.

Post by Frank S. »

Essentially, seems to me we can go round and round on this, but in the end if you want your vote to count for something, my question is:

how much you got?
Artist

Post by Artist »

Call me a dud but I reckon the main problem is that all the main parties are far to willing to change their spots in order to glean votes from anyone.

The days of the likes of Tony Benn, Nye Bevin. Maggie Thatcher, Winston Churchill are now long gone. I had no time for Mr Benns views but at least he was honest and open with his views, as were the other people I've mentioned. The nearest MP to thier Ilk is Dennis Skinner. OWD SCHOOL Labour and tells it like he believes.

As it is Tony Benn and Enoch Powell were bessie Oppos. Old Enoch was the bloke who talked in terms of Rivers of Blood ref the immigrants. They were however lifelong Oppos regardless of their individual views. Flighty lent me Mr Benns book on his life and it was a read that I really enjoyed (still don't agree with his politics mind).

Thats the problem with our political parties these days. Honesty and integrity seem to be just other words of spin in order to get votes at all costs. What we need are people who are intrested in the country and not just themselves. We need people who care in other words and as far as I am concerned all the present politicains care about is themselves.

Artist
ali_hire

Post by ali_hire »

Tab wrote:...there have been times when the candidates for election have been so appalling would not have been happy to vote for any of them...
Like right now you mean!

Making voting compulsory will achieve nothing. Votes from people who wouldn't usually vote will be as useful and meaningful as spinning a roulette wheel.

There's also the problem of people (I would guess at the majority) not knowing enough about the candidates or their policies. How can uneducated people make an informed opinion?
Aways look on the bright side of life.
Tab

Post by Tab »

I remember years ago in the early part of the 1960's when George Brown a very senior Labour MP promised at the elections that if the Labour were elected they would peg the mortgage payments at 3%. Well they were elected and after a number of Mortgage repayments increases he was asked about the promise he had made to peg them at 3%. His reply was a classic and this is what he said "If you believe every thing a politician says then you are so daft you should not be allowed the vote" I must say his honesty at the time gave me a good laugh. Mind you he was a great piss artist and many a night i found him blind drunk in Sloane Square trying to make his way home.
Bungle

Post by Bungle »

I don't think voting should be mandatory, I can name at least 3 people of the right voting age who don't agree broadly with any of the party's policies, here in N.I or across the U.K.

However, I do believe those who don't vote should then complain, as if they disagree so much with all parties' policies they should take matters into their own hands and run as an independent.

Obviously that would be chaos, but it's hard to accept bitching and moaning when a person didn't go to the ballot box on one side or the other.
df2inaus

Compulsory voting

Post by df2inaus »

Don't agree with compulsory voting at all. No sense in encouraging two people who couldn't care less to nullify the choice of a well-informed swing-voter.

If people are strongarmed to the polls they'll likely end up choosing candidates randomly or spoiling ballots and only the party loyalists' vote will end up counting, what happened last time probably.

Its up to all the parties to identify their voters and explain the options to them, such as advance polls, and ultimately, assist them to the polls.

We have the special ballots in Canada, where you can obtain one and submit it from day one up to a certain date in the campaign. Now I'm told you can submit it any time during the campaign. Do you have that option in the UK?
"Poor Ike, it won't be a bit like the Army. He'll find it very frustrating. He'll sit here and he'll say, 'Do this! Do that!' And nothing will happen."
Harry Truman
terryrat

Post by terryrat »

Whilst i think its important to vote as you say it gives you the right to bitch later :agrue: The one thing i think that is wrong is this They should not have political parties in local elections how many times has a good local man been booted out of local politics because a bunch of arses fcuked up in london :evil: With regards to the Euro lot i wouldnt wipe my arese on them let alone vote for them nothing but a bunch of thieving barstewards as far as im concerned should be executed at dawn the bleedin lot of them :evil:
Dangermouse

Post by Dangermouse »

I study international politics, but only vote to deny one party which I don't like a vote. For example, i'd vote for Labour to deny the Tories a vote, but not because I like Labour but because the Tories are a bunch of tossers. I'm generally apathetic towards domestic politics to be honest. Should it be a law? No.
Sisyphus

Post by Sisyphus »

How could it be a law? They could compel you to attend a polling booth but what's to stop anyone spoiling their voting card?

Unless, of course, Big Brother could trace your vote back to you :o , which rather efeats the right to keep your vote secret.
Delboy

Post by Delboy »

Sorry to have to say this Sis, but for many years now Big Brother has been able to trace who you voted for.

When you enter the polling station you are given a polling card that has a number printed on it. This number is then written against your name on the list of registered voters.

After the elections various people are given access to these lists ( notably the Political parties ) and they can compare the voting slips against the lists.

A few years ago I was approached outside a polling station and asked my name by one of the Candidates. On giving it he consulted some papers and the told me who I had voted for on the previous occasion.

That's when I told him he could stick the voting system up his arse, and I haven't voted since. I might be tempted to vote in my local Village elections here in Spain for the prospective new Mayor. She's a little cracker. :D

Del
Dangermouse

Post by Dangermouse »

To be fair, a lot of people are open about who thy vote for anyway, so wether it is annonymous or not doesnt bother me personally, although thier are those who would like to keep thier vote confidential.
df2inaus

Compulsory voting

Post by df2inaus »

Delboy,
After the elections various people are given access to these lists ( notably the Political parties ) and they can compare the voting slips against the lists.

A few years ago I was approached outside a polling station and asked my name by one of the Candidates. On giving it he consulted some papers and the told me who I had voted for on the previous occasion.
Are you absolutely certain the candidate knew who you voted for?

In the 2004 Canadian General Election, I was a scruitineer who checked the list of those who voted, to compare it against a list of identified supporters, but all it tells me is that you voted, nothing else. Some of the people we ID'd as supporters may have voted for the other side and I'd never have known. When the polls closed, I was present as the secret ballots were counted.

Are you suggesting you not have secret ballots in the UK? The candidate was probably referring to the party's poll from the previous election in which you had stated who you were going to vote for.

At some point during the campaign you were polled and they made a note of your intention.

May I suggest the next time you are polled, tell each party you're voting for the opponent and no one will ever bother you again.

df2inaus
"Poor Ike, it won't be a bit like the Army. He'll find it very frustrating. He'll sit here and he'll say, 'Do this! Do that!' And nothing will happen."
Harry Truman
Sisyphus

Post by Sisyphus »

Delboy wrote:Sorry to have to say this Sis, but for many years now Big Brother has been able to trace who you voted for.

When you enter the polling station you are given a polling card that has a number printed on it. This number is then written against your name on the list of registered voters.

Del
Del

Yes, I understand this - but that only tells that you turned up at the polling station. Once you go into the booth there is no way they can trace your voting card back to you because none of them contain any identifying marks which could be linked to your voting number.

Or is there? Der doo, der doo, der doo (er, that's supposed to be 'spooky music' :-? )
Delboy

Post by Delboy »

Sis

Sorry for the delay in replying but I have been back to the UK for a few days.

The voting system in the UK is traditionally processed with the utmost integrity to ensure your vote is secret. However, the facility is in place to confirm who an individual has voted for. This facility is there to be used in cases of suspected fraudulant voting.

Basically when you enter a polling station with your voting card and the checks are made to ensure you are an eligible voter, you are given a ballot slip with a counterfoil . The counterfoil is detached from the ballot slip and placed in a special box which in theory can only be opened by a Court order or the Presiding official. Your ballot slip and the counterfoil can be matched.

Del