Share This Page:

Threaders

Discussions about those units who make up the Commando’s.
ashley

Threaders

Post by ashley »

Throughout training I've been having problems with my back. It peaked on the yomp back from Running Man which resulted in me on my arse with full kit and a back in much agony.

My troop Sergeant told me I need to bring it to the attention of sickbay and ensure it's sorted. This was before Baptist Run, and the trail of thought was there's many chances to do Baptist Run but I've only one back. Fixing that was the priority.

I was told by the PMO, and one of his staff the following week before Baptist Run, there's no way I'm to continue with training; thus I found myself doing a joining routine for 1 Troop Hunter Company.

There I was told that the problem I have with my back is such that it needs time to fix itself, and remaining in Hunter being "rehabiliated" would almost certainly mean getting medically discharged in a matter of months.

On the advice of the CO of Hunter and the Physiotherapist I've chosen to opt out, thus giving me the option to return, assuming (and hoping) my back decides to fix itself.

Utterly threaders with the whole thing I am. I had bit of an epic between weeks 8-12 about whether I wanted to continue with training, but that was subdued and toward the end of Phase 1 I found myself happy and very willing to give 100%. That said, it's something that I need to be stoic about but no matter how many people tell me there's nothing I can do about it, I'm still absolutely gutted!

Even though I find myself leaving without a piece of paper that tells someone I excell at English, Maths or Engineering, I feel I've gained experiences and lessons from my old troop and the training team in the past half year that will come to prove invaluable in the future, and especially when I rejoin!

Civvy street is shite, and I've not even handed my kit back yet!
dwarfy

Post by dwarfy »

Ashley,

Im gutted for you mate, i know how it feels to have opted out but unfortunately there is nothing you could have done by the sounds of it. At least now through opting out it means with a bit of good luck your back might sort itself out and you can rejoin at some point in the future. There would have been no point at all staying in hunter company if the advice was that you would soon be Medically discharged, as that would have put an end to any possible future in RM.

I think your second to last paragraph sums things up well, and its something you should keep in your mind. I bet you,ve learnt alot about yourself and had some valuable experiences that you wouldn,t have had anywhere else and you can take this into whatever you do now and in the future.

Well, chin up mate and good luck with what ever it is you decide to do.
Hopefully your back will come good but if age and time is on your side dont try and rush it, Royal isnt going anywhere.

Dwarfy
Sticky Blue

Post by Sticky Blue »

Ash, threadders for you matey.

My back biffed in training with a prolapsed disc but it sorted itself out smartish. Once I passed out it went again and due to an accident, sorted itself again. Give it time and treatment and you might mak it back... patience :wink:
Drums beating, colours flying and bayonets fixed...
[url=http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/groupcp.php?g=397][img]http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/images/usergroups/listener.gif[/img][/url]
Doc

Post by Doc »

sorry bud, gutted for you.

take two brufen then ...................go back :lol:
Mike

Post by Mike »

Hey Oppo that is a case of real bad luck....just hope that it will all turn out righ for you in the future...Take care and mend well

Aye
Mike
The Honourable Lord Mike of Loch Borralan
.........................Because I AM Worth IT..xxxx.......Never Mistake Motion for Action
Artist

Post by Artist »

As Mike has said take care and give it time and pound to a penny you will be back there cracking it nay problems.

Artist
Beast
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Beast »

Sorry to hear the news ashley.
Give it time oppo, all will mend in the end. :-?
harry hackedoff

Post by harry hackedoff »

Ash, you did the right thing mate. Opting out is better than med discharge. Take your time and get it sorted then re-join.
Best of luck mate, chin up :wink:
[url=http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/groupcp.php?g=397][img]http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums/images/usergroups/listener.gif[/img][/url]
Dogwatch

Post by Dogwatch »

Good luck to you mate, get some good medical advice on how to get back to where you should be :lol:
You were only supposed to blow the Bloody Doors Off....
T T Fresh

Post by T T Fresh »

It does get easier mate but do yourself a favour and see the best physio your money can stretch to.

Keep focused but keep your head out the clouds. Be pragmatic about it all, you may or may not go back in but by keeping the desire you have a fighting chance.

Explore all your options.

I was advised to go through the RMR route, it's not as intense and would allow you to see how the injury is bearing up. It's not my first choice but again, these things happen and you have to adjust to them however frustrating.

All the best
ashley

Post by ashley »

Cheers for the replies guys.

I'm hoping to rejoin mid-2007. Assuming all is well then.

T T Fresh, what happened to you? You were with us for a couple of weeks, then you went back to Hunter.
T T Fresh

Post by T T Fresh »

Knee injury - told it wasn't good.

Turns out there is nothing actually all wrong with my knee and the pain is linked to bad posture and resulting muscle shape. Ive been in physio for 3 weeks and the difference is amazing. It'll be a little while before I'm running again but they think I will make a complete recovery and are very confident in me being fit enough for Royal Marines training.

I aim to re-join as soon as I am ready, though this time around I am going to make sure I am free from injury, fitter and more stable financially in order to give myself as good a chance as possible.

Entirely possible we'll meet again at CTC next year . . . :wink: