Share This Page:

Bush re-election

Interested or active in politics, discuss here.
Jon

Bush re-election

Post by Jon »

I dont know much about the political situation in America so maybe the yanks can enlighten me. Is it likely that he will get re-elected or will Kerry win?
The Best Is Yet To Come
Goose

Post by Goose »

For God's sake! Please let Kerry win!
Certa Cito
Frank S.

Post by Frank S. »

These are just musings on the topic, mind. But to me, Bush, Kerry, same difference...
I've mentioned blackbox voting as a definite Bush advantage, although there are serious attempts to fix the system. What's to be fixed?
Well electronic voting machines do not provide the user with a print out to validate that the candidate's name they entered is the one actually recorded by the machine. Secondly, they are far too easy to hack into, the software not being encrypted, if you can believe that. It's just amazing.
In any event, for a society which prides itself on its openness, I find it just as amazing how secretive political candidates can be. I won't post any link to articles about the Skull and Bones society (based at Yale), because most of the sites smack a bit too much of crackpotism. However, I will say that membership in this society requires a form of 'omerta', giving members access to secrets and forming them in the discipline of holding said secrets.
Both Bush and Kerry are members.
I don't believe Dean ever was and at this point in the race it no longer really matters, but he was just about as secretive as his rivals.

Now, there's much talk of nailing down dealers of nuclear technology, and that worries me a bit. Of course this should be actively pursued, no question.
But given recent events I do wonder about the possibility of a terrorist attack using this technology, as well as where it would take place.
We know, thanks to general Tommy Franks' comments, that if it should take place in the US, martial law will be applied. Should it happen before the elections, I have no idea what effect it would have. A temporary suspension of the electoral process? Others feel free to chime in.

If it happened elsewhere in the world, it would still have a powerful impact on the elections, naturally. And the advantage would go to the man who 'foresaw' the possibility, i.e. president Bush.

Back to the candidates, Kerry seems more of an 'atlanticist', I believe his mother is French though I could well be wrong. One of his cousins is in fact French. But then this really means very little. And Richard Perle likes to vacation at his house in France.
Does Kerry subscribe to Perle's notion of regime change in France? Again, who knows.
Does it matter? Well, yes, if this means he looks at Europeans as potential partners or potential opponents. He did support the war against Iraq, though. That is a matter of record.

In conclusion, I still believe Bush will win, though possibly not by the landslide predicted by pundits. Even if they achieve control of the voting system, they're gonna have to make it look good.
Whitey

Post by Whitey »

Kerry is just morophine for the national cancer called the dying economy n the US. I say we take our medicine with Bush and hit rock bottom without our vision clouded as to why. Then and only then can we emerge again, free, comfortable(not too comfy) and wiser.
Usury Capitalism is the ruin of many a Republic, hey being able to live outside our means for 50 years was great though wasn't it?
Let them call me a rebel and I welcome it, I feel no concern from it; but I should suffer the misery of demons were I to make a whore of my soul. (Thomas Paine)
Frank S.

Post by Frank S. »

The difference between Kerry and Bush is the same difference between pushing and shoving...

http://www.jonathonrobinson.com/3.0/web/webtsos.html
Whitey

Post by Whitey »

It doesn't matter alot who is president, Greenspan runs the country. Finaces alway rule over position. Like when I was younger making little money, the little money I had dictated my choices in life, same must be true for nations. Who ever controls the cash flow controls the country.
Let them call me a rebel and I welcome it, I feel no concern from it; but I should suffer the misery of demons were I to make a whore of my soul. (Thomas Paine)