Share This Page:

defence overhaul

Interested or active in politics, discuss here.

is it about time something was done???

yes to bloddy right it is!!!
89%
no, they are only doing it for the best,
11%

Total votes: 9

lew

defence overhaul

Post by lew »

I thought of putting this in the general discussion but decided it should go in here instead...

Just been watching the news and on it was a piece about the British forces, I’m sure you'll all be glad to know that the suits have decided that to better the fight against terrorism the are cutting back once again, warships, aircraft and tanks are to be cut, to apparently make Britain more flexible and fluid...

Why are these smug German looking w@#k ruining the best armed forces on the planet??? Makes me so mad next they'll be taking away our rifles and giving us sling shots :roll:

I hope there's a party that will make our nation strong again, were the 4th richest on the planet for Christ’s sake, we can afford more planes tanks and warships that most of Europe, so why don’t we get them...

lew
All I want in life is a cold beer, a fast car, a big F**King gun and a hot woman to fetch the beer, and clean the car! is that really to much to ask? - Quotes by a redneck.com

recruit test 21 march - PASSED
medical 30 march - PASSED
interview 30 march - PASSED
PJFT - 11 april - PASSED 9:18
PRMC - 7th - 10th JUNE. PASSED
foundation - 29th August
Jason The Argonaut

Post by Jason The Argonaut »

I was watching sky news this morning and they were discussing it. One MP was saying that they would not be cutting back troop number's just warships, aircraft and tanks... yer alright mate. The way we are going our armed forces will end up like Canada's. :(
I fight for my corner and secondly I leave when the pub closes. - Winston Churchill [img]http://www.world-of-smilies.de/html/images/smilies/teufel/smilie_vampire.gif[/img]
goldie ex rmp

Post by goldie ex rmp »

More cuts then............they made cuts in 1994 when i took vol redun from the RMP and got a big wedge for my trouble only to see a massive recruitment drive months later as the RMP were sooooooooo short of troops. They appear to only look short term at problems and never long term just like the Prison Service which i work for now.
Exemplo Ducemus (By Example We Lead)

"Do not confuse your rank with my authority....Sir!"
kwew

Post by kwew »

goldie ex rmp
Your right on the money there its all about how good the figures look now, they dont seem to think about the future. We have house, car and life insurance just for the future but the government are all about the here and now, image is to high on there priority.
goldie ex rmp

Post by goldie ex rmp »

im sure they will go ahead with the cuts no matter what we think and i assume that we will end up as the americans bitch if we need help in the future, what ever happend to GREAT Briton ? :(
Exemplo Ducemus (By Example We Lead)

"Do not confuse your rank with my authority....Sir!"
Sisyphus

Re: defence overhaul

Post by Sisyphus »

lew wrote:Why are these smug German looking w@#k ruining the best armed forces on the planet???
What? :-?
Frank S.

Post by Frank S. »

lew wrote: Why are these smug German looking w@#k ruining the best armed forces on the planet???
lew
I think the changes as announced are supposed to bring the UK more in line with US military interests. You may be placing the blame on the wrong side of the Atlantic, there.
lew

Post by lew »

Sisyphus wrote:
lew wrote:Why are these smug German looking w@#k ruining the best armed forces on the planet???
What? :-?

When watching the news this morning the guy answering the questions about the cuts was a smug german looking w@#k, he had that I'm a superior being look on his face that only germans have...

hope that helps...

lew
All I want in life is a cold beer, a fast car, a big F**King gun and a hot woman to fetch the beer, and clean the car! is that really to much to ask? - Quotes by a redneck.com

recruit test 21 march - PASSED
medical 30 march - PASSED
interview 30 march - PASSED
PJFT - 11 april - PASSED 9:18
PRMC - 7th - 10th JUNE. PASSED
foundation - 29th August
Tab

Post by Tab »

Watching Hoone there were to many if and buts in his speech and to little substance to make an informed judgement. Some of the older ships to be sold off, may be a reduction in the RAF but there would seem to be a problem with the contract that has been signed for the fighters. It could cost government more money to cancel than it would be to buy them.
There is likely to be a reduction in heavy armour of one Brigade but there are a new range of small heavily armed tanks that are easier to move by air being designed. I think it a case of wait and see for a while just what is going to happen.
Whitey

Post by Whitey »

Lew,
Cops catch terrorist's not soldiers. Soldiers fight other soldiers.
Let them call me a rebel and I welcome it, I feel no concern from it; but I should suffer the misery of demons were I to make a whore of my soul. (Thomas Paine)
df2inaus

Post by df2inaus »

Jason the Argonaut,
The way we are going our armed forces will end up like Canada's.
Not to worry, Her Majesty's Armed Forces will NEVER end up like Canada's.

You're a real nation with interests to protect, and I sincerely believe the British public won't put up with it long term. You expect to see your fighting men on the evening news when trouble flares. Every time Canadian soldiers are seen on TV, everyone here thinks "I didn't know we had an army."

In Canada, the military was moved away from major cities and two generations of young Canadians forgot about it. I found in the UK, the army especially is a fact of life, everyone seems to know someone in the forces, plenty of recruits from all across the country. Live in a place like Plymouth and the boy or girl next door is away somewhere.

That being said, keep the issue in your MP's face. Phone them, write to them, and tell them you'll never vote Labour again or withold donations, whatever it takes. My letters to MP's here have probably led to several assistants being hired.

Damn, that means I made the government bigger :-?
"Poor Ike, it won't be a bit like the Army. He'll find it very frustrating. He'll sit here and he'll say, 'Do this! Do that!' And nothing will happen."
Harry Truman