Share This Page:

State opening of Parlament

Interested or active in politics, discuss here.
nbforrest

Sissyfuss

Post by nbforrest »

What is wrong with a little national identity?

Traditions are absolutely necessary. Tradition (doing a thing because it has been done and in the doing a meaning is found that gives definition to a group of people) is one of the things that makes us human beings as opposed to a herd of cattle in the field or worms blindly digging in the dirt. Most, if not all, human social structures on the planet have traditions. Its one of the tools people use to organize themselves, they've been doing it since they have been humans.

Of course, if you choose to form a culture of your own and exclude tradition from it, be my guest, but realize, not having any traditions wil in time become a tradition of sorts that would separate you from other human type groups that do have traditions.
life is hard, its harder if you're stupid.
Whitey

Post by Whitey »

Yeah tradition is a good thing. Take it from the military and see what you get. I watched some of Parliment on C-Span. The tradition I saw was cool, it distinguished you all as British. Like our State of the Union adress, the president could just send out e-mails or let CNN do an interview, but there is more to the address than just the speech. It shows the world even though we disagree internally, we will stand together when it counts. Plus it helps America see who runs the show. I think your deal is the same but with better clothing, and proper speech. Let me know when you get rid of it, I want to tape the last show.
Let them call me a rebel and I welcome it, I feel no concern from it; but I should suffer the misery of demons were I to make a whore of my soul. (Thomas Paine)
may18

Post by may18 »

I like the ceremony and pomp personally. And i was annoyed that the labour MPS like to ignore it as much as possible.