Share This Page:

Mr. Derek Thornton NR RMA Vice Chairman

Book of Condolences & Obituaries - Express your sympathy, lest we forget.
ratso

Mr. Derek Thornton NR RMA Vice Chairman

Post by ratso »

It is with deep regret the region announces the passing of our Vice Chairman Mr. Derek Thornton who died suddenly on Monday 19th August. He was also Chairman of the Bradford & District branch for many years, and will be greatly missed for his contribution to RMA events and meetings. We send Mary and the family our deepest condolences.

Further details including funeral details http://www.rmanorthernregion.org.uk/HOME.HTM
Falklands Veterans Foundation
www.fvf.org.uk www.yomp30.co.uk
Save the Fearless www.hmsfearless.co.uk
Give Her A Home So We Can All Remember
Sea Soldier

Post by Sea Soldier »

Very sad to learn of Derek's death,He was OCMCD Leeds (TS ARK ROYAL) for many years,when I was one of his Cadets, in the same generation as Kieran Padden,Chris Pickles,Mick Plows,John Depledge,John Longhorn et al,.... I left to join The Corps in 1966.
I well remember Mary & the Boys,not to mention their Boxer dog "Royal" & would wish to express my sincere condolences.
Kevin (Sea Soldier)
Keep Working .... Millions on Benefit depend on YOU !!!
Brian E

Derek Thornton

Post by Brian E »

On 29th August the branch Secretary (Lawrie Audley), Standard Bearer (Brian Easton) and Ken Padden with wives represented the branch at the funeral of the Bradford & District Chairman Derek Thornton, who died suddenly on Monday 19th August at home. The funeral was a tremendous display of Royal Marine pride and affection for a very popular member of the RM Northern Region community, with 20 Standards at the service including RMA Bradford & District, East Lancashire, Lanarkshire, Manchester & Salford, Morecambe Bay & Tyneside (other branches were also represented unfortunately I don't know all of the Standard Bearers)also other services and the RBL. The National Chairman Lt. Col. Drysdale gave a moving address about Derek and talked about his determination, honesty, enthusiasm, dedication and pride in being a good family man and former Royal Marine. The exaltation was read by the Northern Region President Mr. Brian Bartlett and was followed by the last post and reveille played by a RM Bugler. There were over 200 people in attendance to give Mary and the family their support.
As a branch we send Mary and the family our deepest condolences
Brian Easton