Share This Page:

Music and the Armed Forces Project

General Military Chat. New to the forums? Introduce yourself, Who are you and where are you from?
SamiranCulbert

Music and the Armed Forces Project

Post by SamiranCulbert »

I am a researcher from the University of Liverpool and am currently trying to set up a research project around the way British soldiers use music. I am very interested in everyone who has served with the armed forces and the way music was used while they were deployed. My project will mostly be based on the last 10 years and how private listening devices, such as ipods, CD players and so forth have effected listening habits.
I am after all of your experiences and associations with music and would be grateful to any response to this.

You can post your experiences below or email me on S.Culbert@liv.ac.uk.

Thank you. :)
Hyperlithe

Re: Music and the Armed Forces Project

Post by Hyperlithe »

I find music very emotive - the Last Post, the Air Force March and Nimrod (Elgar's Enigma Variations) are guaranteed to make my lip wobble every time I hear them, because of associations they have in my mind or memory.
My brother is a military bandsman, have you considered talking to any of those?
You can have peace.
Or you can have freedom.
Don't ever count on having both at once.
The life that I have
Is all that I have
And the life that I have
Is yours
Tab

Post by Tab »

There was no such things as i pods or even transistor radios when I was in the army and it might sound daft that we did not even have electricity either, and no that was not the 1850's but the 1950's. Most of the time we were out of the camp any way doing sweeps for terrorist and the last thing you needed was top 20 blaring out to announce your positions that could get you killed.
reynielmar31

Post by reynielmar31 »

I am not a military, but in my insight I think the music they were playing is more on sentimental and patriotic type of songs. It will serve as their inspiration to continue to protect its people.