Share This Page:

Future career – RAF vs RN

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Air Force.
XanderP

Future career – RAF vs RN

Post by XanderP »

Hi everyone. I’m new to the site and looking for some advice and information.

So a little about me… I’m currently studying for a degree in Physical Geography and I’m really interested in joining the military after university. After doing lots of reading I’ve found a couple of jobs that really interest me and I’m just looking for a little more information. I meet all the academic entry requirements and am close to the fitness requirements (still working on that bit).

At the moment I’m looking at joining either the RAF, as an Intelligence Officer, or the Royal Navy as a Warfare Officer (then training for the Hydrology and Meteorology sub branch). Any information you could give me on the day to day life in these specific jobs would be greatly appreciated.
I’m also looking for information on how serving military personnel can balance a home and work life. If you could give me an idea of how possible a family life is while serving in the RAF or Royal Navy it would be much appreciated.

I’ve posted this message as a thread in both the RAF and Royal Navy Joining and Training forums so I can get information from people with different views.

Thanks for your help.
Tab

Re: Future career – RAF vs RN

Post by Tab »

If you are ship borne then you will see a lot more of the world than if you sign on for the RAF. If you are thinking of getting married then plumb for the RAF as you will spend more time at home.
Wholley

Re: Future career – RAF vs RN

Post by Wholley »

RAF? No aircraft.
Royal Navy? No ships.
Join the Conservative party or emigrate :D