Share This Page:

RMP - Qualifications

General discussions on joining & training in the British Army.
J-Macleod

RMP - Qualifications

Post by J-Macleod »

Hello everyone,

I'm new to the forum. I'm 24 years old and I've recently decided that I would like to join the RMP. I've read on the Army careers website that to join the RMP as a soldier, you will need a minimum of a two GCSE's in English Language and Maths at grade C. I've got a C in English Language and B in Literature, but I've always struggled with Maths since I was young and only managed to get a grade E. I've also got a double C in Science and a C in German. I didn't apply myself in the crucial period of school, hence the mediocre grades. You never believe the teachers when they tell you that you will regret it... They were right!

I've had a look around the internet and other forums and apparantly it would seem there is no way around this. Could anybody confirm that this is the case? I will have to take the exam again if I'm required to do so, but to be honest, it is a complete pain in the backside as I'm fed up of my job and just want to get down the careers office and set the ball rolling. I'm not stupid and it would be a crying shame for a Maths GCSE grade to hold me back.

:banghead:

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

James
Millar

Re: RMP - Qualifications

Post by Millar »

J-Macleod wrote:Hello everyone,

I'm new to the forum. I'm 24 years old and I've recently decided that I would like to join the RMP. I've read on the Army careers website that to join the RMP as a soldier, you will need a minimum of a two GCSE's in English Language and Maths at grade C. I've got a C in English Language and B in Literature, but I've always struggled with Maths since I was young and only managed to get a grade E. I've also got a double C in Science and a C in German. I didn't apply myself in the crucial period of school, hence the mediocre grades. You never believe the teachers when they tell you that you will regret it... They were right!

I've had a look around the internet and other forums and apparantly it would seem there is no way around this. Could anybody confirm that this is the case? I will have to take the exam again if I'm required to do so, but to be honest, it is a complete pain in the backside as I'm fed up of my job and just want to get down the careers office and set the ball rolling. I'm not stupid and it would be a crying shame for a Maths GCSE grade to hold me back.

:banghead:

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

James
If you score a 2 (highest score) on your Maths Basic Skills testing, you MAY be eligible for shading (this is when they turn a blind eye to your GCSE result due to Basic Skills score) speak with your adviser about it they will be able to give you a more informed response, keep us posted on your findings as this is a subject others may find useful.
Hielan' Laddie

Post by Hielan' Laddie »

Speak with your AFCO. A few years ago I knew someone who was allowed into a skilled trade on the condition that during his Phase 1 he took and passed a Level 2 Key Skills in Maths qualification, however this was at a time when the army was badly undermanned so things may have changed.
J-Macleod

Post by J-Macleod »

Okay, thanks for the advice... I need time to build up my fitness a little more anyway, I don't want to meet the minimum fitness requirements, I want to exceed them. I'm going to get the level 2 required and then apply after that. I've already sorted out where to do the course etc... The thing is, I don't want to go in there asking for a favour from day one, I'd rather go in there and try to meet all the requirements.

Does anybody know approximately how long it usually takes from application to the start of Phase 1?

I know it will depend on situations and trades... But can anybody give a rough idea?

Just wondering how long I'll have to put up with the current job once I've applied... :sleeping:
Millar

Post by Millar »

About 18 Months it will be from when I sent in my first application until starting Phase 1, the recruitment of all soldiers is being handed over to a civilian company soon, so expect the whole system to go tits up.