Share This Page:

Regiment almost Full

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Air Force.
The-R

Regiment almost Full

Post by The-R »

Well as the title says really, i just got back from my PGAC a day early along with 45 other lads. Most of which were very fit and capable of joining the military.

Yes that's right, 4/50 made it through the course. What you see on the dvd's and websites does not prepare you for PGAC which has changed dramatically in the last 4 months.

We were told on day 1 that "The regiment was almost full and due to the recession they are inundated with candidates". Therefore they are going all elitist on recruitment procedures, PGAC now being tougher than PRMC and the ADSC.

Bleep test, press ups and sit ups are all basic stuff and passable with some training however...

Battle PT (although i passed) is something in which you cannot train for. You must be hungry and have 100% determination.
More than half rang the bell and failed there and then. Bare in mind battle PT comes after the MSFT, best effort press ups and sit ups and the 50 meter swim.

You would then think that day 2 would be easier? and even though you have got your 3 mile run time to 19-20 minutes at home/ on the street, you also cannot prepare yourself for this.

The reason being is that your legs will be useless after yesterdays events of non stop phys and Battle PT. Seriously, only at best effort you will only be able to run at a slow jog if that.
The first 1.5 miles is supposed to be run in 13 mins with the PTI according to the websites and letters, but it was about 9 minutes 50. You then have 5 seconds to swig water instead of the stated 30 and it's back in to best effort (Goodluck). The rest of the candidates did not make the run, only 7 did. (the rest were about 1 minute late, including myself)

The other 7 went straight onto the assault course and 3 soon came back after being beaten by the 9ft wall.

The reason for this post is to try and help prepare you for this new PGAC. Running 3 miles at home in 19-20 minutes is not good enough, my personal time was 19.64 which is way under the states 23 minutes. However when your leg muscles are inflamed and tight from log runs and stretcher runs as well as Skirmish exercises for a few hours straight the day before, everything goes out the window.

I spoke to my friend who is an officer in REME and he said that Battle PT/ Skirmish Exercise is something you build up to in your soldiering career.

So it seems as if RAF Reg are sorting out the wheat from the wheat rather than the chaff. Out of the 4 that passed, some of them don't even know if they want to join or not. Some may even drop out on the 29 week course. It's a risky move for the Regiment.

If your PGAC is soon and you are not prepared for this is strongly advise you ring your AFCO and get booked on a later course, and before you go kick your own arse in boots runs etc. Make sure you try to run 3 miles the day after when your legs are smashed and you can't move them much.

Best Regards and Goodluck.
trfcdan86

Post by trfcdan86 »

Cheers for that mate.

I've got PGAC booked for Jan 18th 2010 and by the sounds of it I'm nowhere near ready (despite being relativley fit).

At the moment I can run the 3 miles in 20.22 mins, I can do
37 press ups in a minute and 50 sit ups in a minute. Just as an
indication on where I am at the moment can you tell me what you were achieving on the above before you went on PGAC?

I started training in June and have improved dramatically (quit smoking also) I feel I may need another 6 months or join the Para's.
Application: 11th May 2009
AST: Passed 7th July 2009
Interview: Passed 13th July 2009
Medical: Passed 30th July 2009
PJFT: Passed Nov 30th 2009
PGSC: Passed February 22nd 2010
TG: ???
Lou1607

Post by Lou1607 »

Do you know how this effects RAF Regiment Officer recuitment?

Going to be applying next Dec so it may change but that'll be pretty damn annoying.

Thanks
The-R

Post by The-R »

@dan - As regards to my PGAC scores i achieved a maximum of 64 press ups and 48 sit ups in the time limit, my MSFT (Bleep test) was 10.2 and i managed to survive Battle PT. You will need to have some divine intervention to feel good and ready to run 3 miles the next day. I know one guy who completed the 3 miler covered his legs in deep heat, that may have helped him. I know that the 7 that passed the 3 miler were avid footballers. That's why 3 went out on the 9ft wall due to lack of upper body strength.
My next step is also to apply for the para's, i know 1.5 in under 9 minutes is rapid, but atleast they won't destroy your legs before you run it.

@lou - I am not sure if it's the same for officer recruitment, you may have to ask your AFCO. I have a feeling they will also increase that too however since a lot of school leavers will be trying for it.
wannabe-rifleman

Post by wannabe-rifleman »

For the Paras you will need to pass PRAC which is a similar course all para applicants have to pass once they've passed ADSC.
ITC Catterick - 10th January 2010.
Regiment - The Rifles.
SandyTheGuvnor

Post by SandyTheGuvnor »

The-R wrote:My next step is also to apply for the para's, i know 1.5 in under 9 minutes is rapid, but atleast they won't destroy your legs before you run it.
How do you know they don't :wink:
Things you feel like doing after being hit in the liver :
-Vomitting
-Suffocating
-Shitting yourself
-Passing out
-Crying for your mummy
-Stop taking part in any kind of violent sport.......
wannabe-rifleman

Post by wannabe-rifleman »

Pretty sure you have to do 3.5 mile then 1.5 mile best effort with no rest in between? Sandy?
ITC Catterick - 10th January 2010.
Regiment - The Rifles.
gunner75

Post by gunner75 »

My next step is also to apply for the para's, i know 1.5 in under 9 minutes is rapid, but atleast they won't destroy your legs before you run it.
Oh yes they do - trust me!:wink:
ITs also its about time they done this in the RAF Regt as when I done my PGAC ,Donkeys years ago, some may say it was a lot easier. I certainly would of said that! I was 28 when I breezed it and couldnt help but notice and laugh at lads around 18 yrs old hangin out their hoop with it which was unreal. This new way of doing things to me will get the fitter more agressive blokes who really WANT to be there.
'Every man an Emperor'
mike.dt

Re: Regiment almost Full

Post by mike.dt »

In reply to the original post:

It sounds to me like you have a bit of an attitude problem. This post is basically a huge whinge about how difficult you found the selection course. I doubt that, if you had passed, you would have made it very far through your training before binning it completely. The selection may not have been like what you had been told or had prepared for, but you shouldn't complain just because you couldn't reach the standard. It's not a holiday, or a camp... it's hard work.

When i did my selection, i was told we would run over flat ground... that couldn't have been farthur from the truth, the course we ran was hilly and difficult, but instead of bitching about it, i got on with it 100% effort and determination and passed. So stop being so negative about it and get out training and try it again. Do you think you will be given a programme to tell you what will happen when you go on tour?! No. Adapt and overcome.

Rant over
Warfare Not Welfare
(Body Armour not Benefits)
Hyperlithe

Re: Regiment almost Full

Post by Hyperlithe »

If the RAF Reg is almost full, you can guarantee both the Paras and the marines are the same.
I had to laugh when you said it was 'elitist' - kind of the point of selection, don't you think?
8)

We've just had a round of redundancies so we have fewer posts to fill, and applications are still seriously high. We can afford to be picky...
You can have peace.
Or you can have freedom.
Don't ever count on having both at once.
The life that I have
Is all that I have
And the life that I have
Is yours