Share This Page:

Adsc

General discussions on joining & training in the British Army.
Villain 1

Adsc

Post by Villain 1 »

Hey all goin to do pre adsc in few weeks very fit doin run in ten min is dat good enough for the Irish guards????any tips on icebreaker be great,does everyone do the pre adsc???also picked 3 jobs but really only want the guards sud I say dis???any other advice wud be great cheers!!!
Millar

Re: Adsc

Post by Millar »

10mins is fine, different offices have different requirments, some 11mins, some 10.30, just give it your best effort and you should be fine.

Not all Offices require you to go to IDSC, some send you straight to ADSC, but it is better to do IDSC as it gives you an idea of what to expect, and shows you possible areas that you may need to improve.

Do not mention you are not interested in your 2nd and 3rd job choices, if possible don't mention them at all, it isn't required for your Ice Breaker anyway, and the only time they ask you about them is during interviews, and if your not interested in them I would personally find better 2nd and 3rd Job Choices.

For the Ice Breaker, I would state that everyone in your life is helping you along with your application, even if they are not, if you have to lie about it then lie, the Army do not want people who have perants trying to get them to stop joining or girl friends back at home that might change there mind mid training, you want to tell everyone that your staying fit ie: Gym, that you are social with friends ie: Football, Pub with friends on weekends, boxing anything that requires team effort is also a plus, for your topics try to avoid putting yourself in a bad light, don't mention for example your best day being you getting completley smashed with your friends, again even if you have to lie about something, make yourself sound responsible and mature, as they don't want fools joining, try to talk at a calm normal speed, like don't start talking really fast to get it over with as that looks silly and so many people do it, look everyone your talking to in the eye, try not to stair blankley in just 1 direction, stand straight and smart without your hands in your pockets, behind your back is a good place to have them, and try to be as confident as possible, when it comes to your job section of the Ice Breaker they only want to hear about Job 1 don't mention Job 2 or 3, say what the Job is, were you Train for Phase 1 and Phase 2 what will you learn during training at Phase 1 and 2, were might you be posted after training, and if you can throw a little bit of the regiments history in there also, that always helps.

Hope this helps and best of luck.
Villain 1

Post by Villain 1 »

Millar wrote:10mins is fine, different offices have different requirments, some 11mins, some 10.30, just give it your best effort and you should be fine.

Not all Offices require you to go to IDSC, some send you straight to ADSC, but it is better to do IDSC as it gives you an idea of what to expect, and shows you possible areas that you may need to improve.

Do not mention you are not interested in your 2nd and 3rd job choices, if possible don't mention them at all, it isn't required for your Ice Breaker anyway, and the only time they ask you about them is during interviews, and if your not interested in them I would personally find better 2nd and 3rd Job Choices.

For the Ice Breaker, I would state that everyone in your life is helping you along with your application, even if they are not, if you have to lie about it then lie, the Army do not want people who have perants trying to get them to stop joining or girl friends back at home that might change there mind mid training, you want to tell everyone that your staying fit ie: Gym, that you are social with friends ie: Football, Pub with friends on weekends, boxing anything that requires team effort is also a plus, for your topics try to avoid putting yourself in a bad light, don't mention for example your best day being you getting completley smashed with your friends, again even if you have to lie about something, make yourself sound responsible and mature, as they don't want fools joining, try to talk at a calm normal speed, like don't start talking really fast to get it over with as that looks silly and so many people do it, look everyone your talking to in the eye, try not to stair blankley in just 1 direction, stand straight and smart without your hands in your pockets, behind your back is a good place to have them, and try to be as confident as possible, when it comes to your job section of the Ice Breaker they only want to hear about Job 1 don't mention Job 2 or 3, say what the Job is, were you Train for Phase 1 and Phase 2 what will you learn during training at Phase 1 and 2, were might you be posted after training, and if you can throw a little bit of the regiments history in there also, that always helps.

Hope this helps and best of luck.

Cheers mate thanks a mil,jus in the icebreaker how long do u go on for ?like wud the tel u to finish or say more????writing things out to keep in my mind like they gave us 3 choices to talk about last holiday,favourite sport,our first choice job in the army,I was defo thinking last one,u think dats wat
They will ask for or give u some other option??!? Thanks again mate
Millar

Post by Millar »

Your very welcome, I'm always happy to help, I remember how confusing everything was for me at first so if I can help anyone else during there application I will :)

The Icebreaker is made up of four sections below:

Personal Details - 30 seconds

Topic - 1 Minute 30 seconds

Reasons for joining the Army - 30 seconds

First Job choice - 30 seconds

They will not ask you to stop so you can take as long or as little as you like, but the times I have given are the exact times that the Staff will be looking for, so like I said do not talk fast as you will only finish early and won't be doing yourself any favors, most of the time you will have a bored in-front of you to help you to remember which stage you are at, it will read

Personal Details
Topic
Reasons for joining the Army
First job choice

The possible topics are:

Favorite film or TV programme
Favorite hobby or sport
Best holiday (this can be a holiday away or time spent at home during school/work holidays)
Best day
Current job or best subject at school