Share This Page:

Opinion and thoughts, improving my fitness for the REME

General discussions on joining & training in the British Army.
Big Dan

Opinion and thoughts, improving my fitness for the REME

Post by Big Dan »

Hello everyone, i'm completely new to all this forum stuff so please bear with me! I'm sure this has already been posted before so apologies to those reading the same stuff again :)

I have currently just started training to join the royal engineers (literally just started)! I'm now 26 and have regretted not joining when i i was 16 :(

I have just taken 12 months out of uni where i was training to be a adult nurse, i know this is an awesome job, but it's not for me! i miss being hands on and building stuff! I used to be a joiner!

Right, going to cut the crap now. I'm 6ft 1" and currently weigh 19st. I have lost a stone and a half in the past 2 months (the break-up diet ha) and feel loads better for it! I have just timed my first 1.5ml run and done it in 16:30 min. I know this is s**t but i have a marker now to see improvement! i need to be able to do it in under 14 min My training regime is,

Mon - 2ml run
Tue- 8ml bike ride
Wed - 2ml run
Thur- 8 ml bike ride
Fri- 2 ml run
Sat 8ml bike ride
Sun- rest

I know this is pretty basic but it's a start as i want to turn my life around, I've spent too long being a fat a**e and now it's time to do what i want!!

All i'm after is people's opinions on what i'm doing and where can i improve and how. I have a good diet now and have cut all the rubbish out, including the beer :'(

Oh and my neighbor is currently on tour in afgan and is back in a month on r and r and he said that he'll beast me (his words lol)!

Thanks for reading!
Millar

Re: Opinion and thoughts, improving my fitness for the REME

Post by Millar »

Try swapping out some running with some swimming or weight lifting, all that running will overtime wear down on your knees and you risk injury, also make sure your giving yourself enough rest, it's all well and good smashing the fitness everyday but if your body isn't fully repaired/rested again you run the risk of injury.

Pace yourself if what you said is correct and you are eating correctly you will start noticing and feeling a difference pretty soon, but I cannot stress enough do not run yourself into the ground as injury will slow you down and runs the risk of reversing all your hard work.

Hope this helps.