Share This Page:

Pre Training Experience course

General discussions on joining & training in the British Army.
ofens

Pre Training Experience course

Post by ofens »

Hi all
Not heard any mention of this on here before, so guessing it must be a new addition to the process.
I'm starting Phase 1 in May, and am going on the above named course next week.

In the programme it is basically described as a week on an Army camp doing some of the day-to-day activities that occur in training.
From what I can gather it is to show new recruits what they're letting themselves in for, with the intention that the majority of those who drop out in the early days of training can now make that decision beforehand.

I have previous experience of military training so have a good idea of what's coming, but am looking forward to this as a bit of a refresher and also, just a week away doing all that good stuff instead of my civi job!

I'll update this post with info when I get back as it may interest other new recruits (in particular those without previous).
In the meantime anyone who has already done it feel free to add comments / info below.

Regards
ofens
[i]Hangover is temporary, drinking lasts forever![/i]
[b]IT WILL COME[/b]
ofens

Re: Pre Training Experience course

Post by ofens »

The course was a very good insight into the basic training environment.
I've previously done some basic military training in different forms so had some idea of what was to come. This course was designed with in mind people who have not done anything like it before.
Having said that it was an excellent refresher for me and would be for similar. 8)

It was also a good morale and motivational booster to have not long before starting actual training, because as things stand the recruitment process is extremely long, complicated and frustrating enough to make one consider rethinking their options :evil:

The course was over 5 days, and covered sessions in some of the main events in basic training (PT, Barracks admin, personal admin, drill, field craft, lectures such as first aid and map reading).
These were entry level for first-timers and very accessible, some of the content obviously leads on to more advanced concepts that will be covered more in training itself.

Also useful was the experience of living in shared accomodation and interacting with others in this environment, discipline in activities and general behaviour, and the day-to-day sense of urgency and the need to get things done (no more sitting around watching tele while your mum cooks your tea and washes your clothes).

From my personal point of view it was a refresher in preparation for doing basic training again.
I am joining The Rifles, and there were several other guys also doing so. Some of these will be in the same start date as me so I have already made friends with some guys I will be in training with.
This is really encouraging and I imagine a youngster who is away from home for the first time would find this even more valuable than myself.

Everyone seemed to enjoy the course. I think that overall you will get two positive results from this course:
1. People who would really struggle with the environment and tend to quit in the early stages get an insight and therefore the opportunity to pull out before getting stuck in a place they don't want to be
2. People who probably will do well in the training environment but have no idea what they are heading into get a heads-up and can turn up for week-1-day-1 with more confidence.

A very practical and relevant addition to the recruitment process, I wonder why it hasn't been done before.
[i]Hangover is temporary, drinking lasts forever![/i]
[b]IT WILL COME[/b]
Tab

Re: Pre Training Experience course

Post by Tab »

Thanks for insight ofens