Share This Page:

Eyesight

General discussions on joining & training in the British Army.
djmattyg64

Eyesight

Post by djmattyg64 »

Does anyone know what the eyesight requirements for joining as an Electrician in the REME is?

Ive had a look round and get different results for various roles but nothing for an Electrician

Thanks
timex

Re: Eyesight

Post by timex »

What trades have you looked at and what specs (pardon the pun)...

Aviation Technician should be the highest standard..
sportbilly42

Post by sportbilly42 »

You will need to be able to read 6mm print from a distance of 6 metres, aided with spectacles if necessary. You will also be tested for colour blindness. If you are deuteropic or propanopic (the two most common forms of colour blindness) you will not be recruited as an electrician.
Soldiers are accepted with a minimum corrected visual acuity between 6/6 and 6/12 depending on the regiment
or corps, in the right eye, and 6/36 in the left eye. Driving grades require vision in the left eye to be correctable
to 6/12, and certain safety critical trades require vision to 6/6 bilaterally with spectacles.

Myopia exceeding 7 dioptres in any meridian in either eye or hypermetropia exceeding 8 dioptres precludes
acceptance even if vision is correctable to the required standard.
djmattyg64

Post by djmattyg64 »

sportbilly42 wrote:You will need to be able to read 6mm print from a distance of 6 metres, aided with spectacles if necessary. You will also be tested for colour blindness. If you are deuteropic or propanopic (the two most common forms of colour blindness) you will not be recruited as an electrician.
Soldiers are accepted with a minimum corrected visual acuity between 6/6 and 6/12 depending on the regiment
or corps, in the right eye, and 6/36 in the left eye. Driving grades require vision in the left eye to be correctable
to 6/12, and certain safety critical trades require vision to 6/6 bilaterally with spectacles.

Myopia exceeding 7 dioptres in any meridian in either eye or hypermetropia exceeding 8 dioptres precludes
acceptance even if vision is correctable to the required standard.

Thanks for that, I am not colour blind in any way but on my prescription for my glasses it states that I am 6/16 in my right eye.
Hyperlithe

Post by Hyperlithe »

Where it says 'corrected', that means as long as you wear your glasses/contacts and it's better than the minimum standard, your eyesight won't be a bar to entry for those trades.
You can have peace.
Or you can have freedom.
Don't ever count on having both at once.
The life that I have
Is all that I have
And the life that I have
Is yours