Share This Page:

[Pre-selection] Fitness tests in 3 weeks

General discussions on joining & training in the British Army.
Nathaniel Rooke

[Pre-selection] Fitness tests in 3 weeks

Post by Nathaniel Rooke »

Hello guys, just a few things that I could with some help on.
As the title says; I have the fitness tests in 3 weeks.
I've been in training since the start of the application process (about 2 months). However I'm starting to feel quite nervous because I'm not quite ready.
The last time I timed myself on a 1.5 mile run, I did it in 11 minutes, this was about a month ago and since then I have upped my running to over 2 miles. So I could probably get it done a lot quicker, maybe bottom end of 10 mins. I will be running more intensely now too so as far as I know am doing fine in that area(?)
As for the sit-ups, I only just managed to hit 52 in 2 minutes, which is only *just* over the minimum amount.
For the press-ups I only managed to hit 35 in the 2 minutes. I have been working really hard on these, and was pretty disappointed with the results.

Does anyone have any tips on what I can do to hit the minimum of 44 press-ups? I currently follow the 6-week 100 press-up programme.
I will be changing my sit-up routine to make it more stamina-based rather than just doing a lot of reps. i.e. 4x25 as opposed to 6x15 (although on the final set I normally just do as many as I can manage).

I have been really looking forward to the opportunity to finish the application process and get into proper training, so I would really appreciate any help/tips you guys can give me.

Thanks.

EDIT: After doing some more research I've noticed that it's a pre-selection that I think it will be..
Eddiek1989

Re: [Pre-selection] Fitness tests in 3 weeks

Post by Eddiek1989 »

Hi, what are you planning on joining? That depends on how much fitness you should be doing. If you have your pre selection in 3 weeks and your only running 2 miles now, you need to get out and do a lot more. The 1.5 mile run youndo there will be completed after a 1.5mile warm up / route familierisation. So if your only doing 2 miles you mit struggle.

As for the sit ups and press ups, do as many as you can when you wake up in the morning, as many as you can before you go to bed at night. When your out on your runs you can stop half way and do as many as you can then. When your at home set yourself a rule, every time you go in your bedroom do 25pressups and 25situps. Increase by 5 every week.

You also need to be thinking about pull ups aswell. Find some monkey bars in your local park or a low but strong branch on a tree and do some on there, then next time try and beat it by 1.

You should be running 3 times a week really, say monday, wed, and fri. Make sure you have rest days and do warm ups / cool downs to avoid injury.

I can guarantee that no matter how much your training now, it wont be enough, and even after increasing it like i just told you to, that still wont be enough, especially if its an infantry unit your aiming for.

Hope this helps

Eddie