Share This Page:

Can Ezcema stop me joining?

General discussions on joining & training in the British Army.
Jacko93

Can Ezcema stop me joining?

Post by Jacko93 »

I've heard several different things on this, the guy i spoke to like 2 years ago when i went into a careers office said as long as its smaller than a 50p piece its fine but recently i've read that if you've had it after your 8th birthday it automatically bars you from joining. Anyone know either way?
Hyperlithe

Re: Can Ezcema stop me joining?

Post by Hyperlithe »

Your best bet is to speak to an AFCO again. I'm not sure what the rules are now, sorry!
You can have peace.
Or you can have freedom.
Don't ever count on having both at once.
The life that I have
Is all that I have
And the life that I have
Is yours
Jacko93

Post by Jacko93 »

Yeah fair enough i'm just being lazy really cheers anyway!
Tab

Post by Tab »

Ezcema.........Can be a right pain under different operating conditions. It can cause it flare up and make you undeployable in certain areas in the world. As the Forces can now pick and chose the healthiest young men I would not hold your breathe
sportbilly42

Post by sportbilly42 »

Stop it... you're making me itch....

Look it's simple, eczema can be awful to look at so you can't be on parade with loads of flakes all over your uniform. Can you imagine lovely shiney bulled boots covered in dead skin? No.... Sorry, a line in the sand needs drawing. Now take your leprosy ridden body and rub the cream in the appropriate areas.

Alternatively try joining the Scalies.... (Royal Signals to you chief...)
sportbilly42

Post by sportbilly42 »

Slightly more seriously: Eczema CAN be a bar to entry, but don't rely on any comments you get from an internet site occupied by non-medical types. That's the sort of thing that would have to be declared on your medical form.

Stress is a common trigger for atopic eczema and depending on your nature would depend on how much stress you're able to take before the cracks appear .....(literally....)

The medical types would assess you provided you get past the initial screening of applications.... There would be certain jobs you'd be best avoiding (like Petroleum Op'). However you may be perfectly alright and just have to be more aware than others to avoid contact with any substances that your skin takes exception to. ...Like fuel for instance.. Minor inconveniences of putting on protective gloves when you're filling a genny up perhaps. Looking after the key areas for eczema sufferers (elbows/armpits etc) if you're serving in hot climates ...that sort of thing. The Health & Safety police have invaded the military now so wearing protective gear isn't seen as such an issue. (Maybe less so on Ops.)
Jacko93

Post by Jacko93 »

sportbilly42 wrote:Slightly more seriously: Eczema CAN be a bar to entry, but don't rely on any comments you get from an internet site occupied by non-medical types. That's the sort of thing that would have to be declared on your medical form.

Stress is a common trigger for atopic eczema and depending on your nature would depend on how much stress you're able to take before the cracks appear .....(literally....)

The medical types would assess you provided you get past the initial screening of applications.... There would be certain jobs you'd be best avoiding (like Petroleum Op'). However you may be perfectly alright and just have to be more aware than others to avoid contact with any substances that your skin takes exception to. ...Like fuel for instance.. Minor inconveniences of putting on protective gloves when you're filling a genny up perhaps. Looking after the key areas for eczema sufferers (elbows/armpits etc) if you're serving in hot climates ...that sort of thing. The Health & Safety police have invaded the military now so wearing protective gear isn't seen as such an issue. (Maybe less so on Ops.)
Ok thanks then. Didn't really make it clear about my situation I've not been affected by it for 3-4 years but apparently it can still bar me from joining. Thanks for your help anyway i'll wait for my medical forms!