Share This Page:

Laser Eye Surgery too old!!! HELP

General discussions on joining & training in the British Army.
kipper35

Laser Eye Surgery too old!!! HELP

Post by kipper35 »

Hi All, im 32 and just book my BARB test, question is i had laser eye surgery in august this year, but by the time 12 months is up ill be too old.

are there ever exceptions made to the 12 month rule?

if i forget to say about it will they know?

my doctor would not know i had this surgery for exampole.
Tab

Re: Laser Eye Surgery too old!!! HELP

Post by Tab »

With unemployment at its current levels, then the forces can be a bit more picky on their selection of people
sportbilly42

Re: Laser Eye Surgery too old!!! HELP

Post by sportbilly42 »

kipper35 wrote:Hi All, im 32 and just book my BARB test, question is i had laser eye surgery in august this year, but by the time 12 months is up ill be too old.

are there ever exceptions made to the 12 month rule?

if i forget to say about it will they know?
Having Laser eye surgery is not a bar to entry but you CANNOT join up for a year after having it done. I don't think exceptions could be justified in the current climate where they're being quite picky with their candidate lists.... The upper limit is 32 years 11 months and if you'll have clicked past that by the time the eye surgery is cleared then I'm afraid you probably will then be too old... (Sorry mate, but welcome to the club)

As for the 'forget to mention it' routine..... Not advisable...Failing to disclose eye surgery has the potential for disaster. The scarring is quite distinctive and any MO worth his salt will know it for what it is when he takes a peek at your eyes with an opthalmascope. Lying about any medical condition is never a good idea...

Some general info on eye surgery:
The Army prefers you to have LASEK as the corneal flap is shallower and reduces risks in the case of blows to your head.
All invasive intraocular surgical procedures will remain a bar to entry.

You can have surgery once you're in the army, but you have to pay yourself and declare it to the Docs. Any corrective eye surgery makes the individual P7 for 12 months and then you would have to be seen by a Service Opthamologist to be upgraded. My understanding is that, depending on trade, it wouldn't necessarily make you undeployable during that time.