Share This Page:

PRMC changed?

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Marines.
daz89

PRMC changed?

Post by daz89 »

I've been reading up on the PRMC on the internet to see if anything’s changed since I last attempted it, and from what I can make out it seems that gym test 2 has been scrapped and 2.5 miles of the endurance course has been added instead? Anybody heard anything about this or have I been reading about POC (although it was definitely titled PRMC, on wiki and the PRMC forums). I knew the 3 mile run had changed but I hadn’t heard of anything else.

If this is true I cant wait, the endurance course looks great!.. Hard work lol, but I would prefer to be crawling about in mud than doing exercises in a gym!
Amphibian

Re: PRMC changed?

Post by Amphibian »

Hello daz89,
I recently completed PRMC and from what I heard the only major changes that are being made are after summer leave. They are introducing a night exercise right after the endurance course and also trialing a weapon strip session during a lecture. With regards to the gym test 2, that is the case. The endurance course was extremely difficult, and its not really something you can train for either. My advice would be to do alot of endurance work if you haven't done already and learn to run with minimum energy early morning, that way your body can become attuned to the fatigue. You could also try load carrying up hills, not too much weight but enough to add resistance. Just ensure you don't injure yourself mate :) When is your PRMC?

Regards,
Amphibian
"Chin up, crack on"
daz89

Post by daz89 »

Thanks for the reply, congratulations on passing PRMC mate how’s the boots?

I've not got a date yet and probably won’t be doing a c@#t December/January. I re-applied 5 weeks ago.. Im still waiting for a date for the written recruit tests! The office said it would take a couple months because I am a re-joiner (I done a few months basic training in the infantry). Its gave me more time to train though so not to bothered, but I’m itching for the phone call to get things rolling again!

I've been doing a lot of endurance work and sprint sessions, I've been lucky enough to experience PRMC and infantry PT sessions so I've learned a few circuits etc. I done my knee ligaments in a few month ago which has turned out to be a blessing in disguise! I’m now doing a lot more leg strengthening work so hopefully this will help with the endurance course(fireman carry’s!), although I think it’s going to be mind over matter lol.

I wonder what the night ex will consist of.. From what I remember you dont get that much kit but you need a fair amount for a field exercise. Unless its just a test done at night or something, sounds good though. Im pretty sure I can still remember how to strip a SA80 so I should be fine with that if they introduce it.

Thanks again.
Amphibian

Post by Amphibian »

The boots don't fit me! ha!

I have to go down to CTC to change them, and it just so happens im going to Falmouth in a week so its not much of a detour. With regards to having to wait, like you said its all the more time to train and avoid injury. My date is early next year so I have quite a few months until then so I shall be doing alot more walking and hill sprints myself.
It takes alot of balls to reapply, and it shows you really know you want to do it. A guy at my PRMC had been on RT for about 20 weeks I think and then left to be with his mrs. Needless to say it didn't work out and hes back at it!

As far as the night ex goes, I think it'll be a pass/fail. Living outdoors isn't everyones cup of tea, and its better to make people aware of that before they commence RT.

Best of luck with everything. Keep us posted and if you need anything let me know.

Regards,
Amphibian
"Chin up, crack on"
daz89

Post by daz89 »

Haha that’s a good start :lol:

Early next year! That’s a long wait, was that you're choice or is the training troops full the now? I was hoping to start basic by February. That’s if I avoid injury and fly through the tests (fingers crossed). I’m definitely not looking forward to doing the endurance course in the winter!! I've done a few field exercises in minus's during my brief spell in the army and remember the cold like it was yesterday! lol.

Im not sure if its balls or stupidity mate! I've got a good civvy job but the 8 til 5 civvy life isn’t for me, I left the Army because of a girl as well.. Biggest mistake I ever made but at least I get another crack at the RM. I was only 16/17 years old when I was first at Lympstone and it sounds like a lot has changed since then. Do you still do a heavy warm up before the 3 mile run? Just asking because when I was in the Army they had scrapped warming up all together and only done warm downs.

Yeah I suppose you're right, the field exercises could come as a bit of a shock. Especially when you're out on stag and the snows making a blanket on top of you :o
Amphibian

Post by Amphibian »

It seems to be the case that most guys have to wait a good 6 months from c@#t recruit training. Im begging my CA for an earlier date because since I went down to lympstone civvie life just isn't good enough. I miss getting beasted, I miss the 4 meals a day and most of all I miss my oppo's. You get to meet some proper sound lads down there, lads who im sure ill be mates with for years to come!

With regard to leaving for a girl, we all make stupid mistakes, and unfortunately women seem to be one of my biggest weaknesses. But a very good bit of info the colour at CTC gave me, "Women are like snakes with tits". Its funny because its true.

Lympstone feels like home for me, and I can't wait to be back down there with my oppo's, and I personally feel like civvie life has nothing to offer me anymore. At 16/17 you have no real idea of what or where you want to be in 10 years, and it takes many years of trial and error to finally find what is right for you.

The 3 mile run has a little warmup before, nothing too heavy. But what I will say is im 100% certain that the first 1.5m was not done in 12:30 more like 11 mins. Train to a first mile and a half at 11 mins and the second in under 10. If you can do that you should be fine.

Regards,

Amphibian
"Chin up, crack on"
daz89

Post by daz89 »

I know how you feel mate, in civvy life we wake up to work and train but in the forces your work is training! I feel like my job is getting in the way of training at the moment but I need to keep working to pay the bills.. If it’s going to be a 6 month wait after PRMC I'm going to be pulling my hair out lol!

The training I've been doing for the 3 mile run is; a heavy warm up (about 1 mile with hill sprints) before I do 3 miles best effort then after that I finish it off with 10 hill sprints, I also do a sprint session, a long endurance run (about 8/9 miles) and I do a 1.5 mile best effort followed by 12 min interval training on the treadmill to get me ready for the PJFT. So far I've got my 1.5 mile time down to 9:04.

As for running the first 1.5 miles of the 3 miles in 11 mins, I have just been going flat out and trying to get around the 21 minute mark each time, but I'll try what you're saying and do a set pace then flat out finish to get my body used to it. I’ve also got a weighted running vest that I was going to start using on the hill sprints just to make it that little bit harder.

As for training wise I also do boxing twice a week and a lot of bodyweight/weights/skipping circuits. What sort of training were you doing?
Amphibian

Post by Amphibian »

My week consists of 2 swims, 3 runs, 2 gym routines and 3 circuit sessions.

The first swim is a solid 45 mins of breast stroke without resting at a steady 70-80% speed
The second swim consists of 3 sets of 12 minute breast stroke sessions @ a 100% rate with 3 min rests in between.
My runs are made up of one long steady run (6-9 miles), Interval training, and fartlek.
At the gym I do strength routines so alot of benching, deadlifting, legpress and squats etc.
And the circuits are progressive, each week I add an extra few reps, for this I used to tool on the RM site.

If you can fit all of that in mate you'll be well on your way.
"Chin up, crack on"
daz89

Post by daz89 »

Sounds about the same as mine just I do boxing instead of swimming, Im pretty confident fitness wise Im more worried about the medical! My hearing is'nt as good as it used to be.

I phoned the AFCO today to find out whats happening, they told me that they still havent got my army medical documents from Glasgow yet! So it could be a while before they can do anything with me :roll:

Suppose that it gives me more time to train though.
Amphibian

Post by Amphibian »

Just an update fella, got my RT date cut down to October, seems as if there is a bit of shifting around going on.
"Chin up, crack on"
daz89

Post by daz89 »

Good news, you'll be happy with that then? Just a couple month away! I've still not heard back from the office yet I've got a feeling its going to take a while.

Got another question for you. On the PJFT are you allowed to hold the handles on the treadmill? Lol I've got my time down to under 9 mins but I need to sprint on it, and I usually grad hold of the treadmill so I dont fall off!
ofens

Post by ofens »

No you cannot hold the handles of the treadmill, obviously that is making it easier and therefore you are not putting in the effort.
[i]Hangover is temporary, drinking lasts forever![/i]
[b]IT WILL COME[/b]
daz89

Post by daz89 »

Thanks, I wouldnt say it has anything to do with effort but more to do with the fact I find it harder to run on treadmills. Not physically harder but getting my pace right so I dont run into it or even worse, fall off.