Share This Page:

Running vs tabbing for "Paras 10" 10 miler

General discussions on joining & training in The Parachute Regiment.
jof345

Running vs tabbing for "Paras 10" 10 miler

Post by jof345 »

How do, I'm looking for some advice for training for the Paras 10 race in September. I'm not, nor have ever been in the forces (being asthmatic stuffed that up :( ) nor looking to join so it is just the race I'm training for.

From reading posts on here, Fighting Fit, watching videos etc I understand that a good way to go is to follow the Fighting Fit program which involves doing hill reps with a weighted bergan but absolutely no running with the weight to avoid risking injury.

This makes sense and is probably the way I'll go but will this get me used to moving fast enough??

From what I've read I gather I'm going to have to run during the 10 miler to get anywhere close to the 1 hr 50 cut off as tabbing alone isn't fast enough. Is that right or is it possible to cover that distance in the time without running?
If I do need to run, how should I train for this without risking injury? Would the Fighting Fit program along with unweighted running in boots be enough or do I need to run with the weight on to get used to it?

I really want to do this the right way, avoid injury and raise some money for the charities involved so any advice will be great!
Thanks
Jof