Share This Page:

Decided to go for it!

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Marines.
Jas

Decided to go for it!

Post by Jas »

Hey all,

been a long time reader of this forum and have recently decided to go for it and join the Royal Marines as an Officer. I am looking forward to it completely even though I am positive it will be the most difficult thing both physically and mentally that I have ever undertaken.

My only concern right now is during the POC. Having not been at school in a few years now (I'm 24) I am brushing up on Math and Physics as well as spatial awareness for the tests that will be issued. However, I know there will also be tests regarding the Marines and it is here where I really have no clue what I should be focusing on...I know a decent background on the Marines but should I also focus on the Navy - all the names, classes and crew level for ships in operation as well as weapons carried? All transport vehicles for the Marines? Type of weapons each marine has at their disposal?

Anyone who can shed any light onto this it would be a great help to me. Cheers guys!
Flintstone

Re: Decided to go for it!

Post by Flintstone »

Hi mate, couldn't log off without giving a reply to your unanswered post.

The more you know the easier it will be. Its pretty simple really. Spend hours sifting through information on the Royal Marines until your head is about to explode, then do some more sifting. You have to really know your stuff, but don't worry about the fact you've been out of school for a while. One thing you cannot learn from a book is life experience, and Im pretty certain that its what will help you through some immensely challenging situations that you'll face as an officer, where perhaps younger and less experienced YO will fail

Please note; I am not an officer in the Royal marines or any other branch of the military. I merely spend all my downtime, when im not working/training looking though information on the military. Hopefully this post will get others talking and posting a few ideas and opinions.

Best of luck with it. :)