Share This Page:

Reconnaissance operator

General discussions on joining & training in the Royal Marines.
Flintstone

Reconnaissance operator

Post by Flintstone »

Not been able to find much info on this specialization, just wondered if any serving Royal Marines could answer a couple of questions, if not I can always ask my recruiter.
Im aware Im a long way off this yet, and I must focus on passing PRMC and BT, but Im keen to see whats available to me.

Iv read a bit about the Mountain Leader specialization and understand you have to be of Corporal rank or higher, be insanely fit and I also understand its around 8 months of hard selection and training. Would a reconnaissance operator be my first step towards this? And also, how would I go about getting onto selection for this? Is there a certain amount of time I am expected to serve in an operational commando unit before I can have a go at selection?

Any information regarding this would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers :new-bday:
timex

Re: Reconnaissance operator

Post by timex »

Not sure what a Recce Operator is, however if its anything like Recce troop then you will need to have a tour in a Unit under your belt before you'll be looked at. To then join Recce you will need to have a recommend from your Tp "Boss" and then attend a weeks aptitude trg where you will be assessed on your fitness and mil skills. The week is usually very heavily subscribed to so competition is fierce, once in Recce tp it's one of the best jobs in the Corps.

ML is (or was) a normal progression for a lot of guys from Recce after promotion, "probably" one of the best options as an SQ.
Flintstone

Re: Reconnaissance operator

Post by Flintstone »

Hi Timex, thanks a lot for replying. I think it's a case of me going in and giving it my all day in day out. Im signing up with the intention of a Long career and making SF eventually so I want to make the right decisions and try to plan a path for myself, even though Im sure there'll be factors I can't control!

Anyway, Cheers for the info :)